Old January 6, 2001, 20:55   #1
deity

Not too sure of the technicalities but you may not be able to host, ie folks can not connect to your PC.
More of a problem with a firewall, I think.
When I have MSICSharing turned on I can't host. It acts like a firewall but my ISP's proxy causes no problems.
However I CAN host MP Civ2 when I disable MSICS, but still using my ISP proxy. You don't need to reboot - you can switch it off and on as you please.

------------------
*deity of THE DEITIANS*
aka: half-assed dieticians
icq# 8388924

Old January 7, 2001, 01:13   #2
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 00:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
playing behind a proxy server
anyoneīs got experience with it and can explain how it works? I hope itīs generally possible. else my civing days can be over soon.
Old January 7, 2001, 05:48   #3
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Iīm trying to describe the situation as far as Iīm able to understand it so far. my computer is connected to an nt-server. this nt-server is connected to the internet. for data transfer there is a proxy program installed on the server. with this program I can enable and disable certain ports (for example port 80 is enabled for html-transfer). there are other ports enabled for ftp, icq etc. most ports, however, are disabled (closed). I think thatīs what we call a firewall.

it turned out that playing civ2 via proxy-server isnīt possible for me yet. each time when I try to join a game (I wasnīt trying to host yet) I get an immediate timeout error by the civ2-program. my first thought was that I didnīt find out which port civ2 is using. however, even when I enable all ports I donīt succeed in joining a game. on the other hand the monitor of the proxy program showed the IP adress I was trying to connect. it seems like only the civ2 program doesnīt realize that I want a connection over the proxy server.

thatīs all I know so far, but it doesnīt help me very much. am I really the only one using a proxy-server/firewall and having problems like this.

btw, I also canīt use programs like the msn-zone-tool or napster anymore and even ICQ only worked after I installed the latest version (I had 99b before). any help or any idea is appreciated.
Old January 7, 2001, 22:19   #4
dowski
Settler

Local Time: 19:13
Local Date: October 30, 2010
A problem might be that your ip must be available for a transfer of data from the host. In that case, your ip would be the NT box's ip, not the ip of your actual machine. I don't know how the actual connection is negotiated though...just some thoughts.
Old January 8, 2001, 01:16   #5
Clay Pigeon
Warlord

Local Time: 16:13
Local Date: October 30, 2010

First things first, have you installed the patch? Becouse without the patch you will not be able to connect to other players, as all players must have the same version. It is avalable at http://supportmicroprose.com/civii.htm

------------------
if i display a lack of skill, please note the enthusiasm
Old January 8, 2001, 11:12   #6
weird god
Warlord

hi oedo!!

zuerst einmal tschuldigung für meine zu kurze antwort...

iīm sometimes using a proxy-server when my usual connection via my university is too bad (- actually the uni-server is also a proxy). iīve a program called "anonymity 4 proxy". u use it instead of the internet options in your explorer. it does almost the same but you can add more then one proxy making it possible to dial up another server instead of the usual. plus you can be anonym if wished, in this case the server sends a fake ip and no systeminfos.

if your program works like mine you probably have to check if you have to alter the internet-options of your browser to the programīs needs (especially http, ftp,..ports). also try if activating "automatische suche der einstellungen" helps. and make sure you activated "proxyserver verwenden".

iīve never had any probs using a proxy even in anonym-mode with a fake ip

------------------
god made weed.....you donīt really think he fails sometimes?

weed god, chief of EUROPA
www.multispieler.de