Old January 11, 2000, 05:40   #31
Fistandantilus
Prince

Local Time: 09:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
zsozso,
sorry for being so annoying but....

About the starting techs,
if all the factions start with all level one techs are they going to lose their usual starting techs or not?

For example the Hive starts with Doc:Loyalty that is level two, and both Pirates and Data Angels start with a level two tech IIRC. So if they have all the level one techs in addiction they would start with a net adventage of an extra tech (in respect of the other factions).

And the UoP is supposed to have an extra tech from the start, are they going to lose this ability?
Old January 11, 2000, 10:15   #32
warpage

Good point, Fist. Alos, wouldn't Miriam get an extra bonus by this, as she normally cannot research at all for the first ten years?

-Warp

Old January 11, 2000, 10:35   #33
zsozso
Alpha Centauri PBEMSpore
Prince

Local Time: 02:45
Fist, your concern is valid.
Yang, Cyborgs, Probes, Pirates are all OK, exactly, because they can get their usual higher level tech. University free tech is also OK.

The problem is with the other factions, who lose their advantage this way. Maybe we could compensate that with giving them another level 2 tech instead? Which one to which faction, ideas? Or is it better to abandon this all level-one tech idea? The reason I wanted it is to give an extra push for faster start-up.

Warpage, Miriam is not a problem if we can restore the starting tech balance, because she still won't be able to research for 10 turns and others can research later techs in that time.

Zsozso
Old January 11, 2000, 11:25   #34
zsozso
Alpha Centauri PBEMSpore
Prince

On a second thought. Trying to come up with a new balance by adding even more starting techs is tricky at best.

Let's just stick to the original starting techs as in the normal game and forget about my acceleration idea. The extra units and equiped HQ should be enough acceleration...

Zsozso
Old January 11, 2000, 14:14   #35
Lord Maxwell
Prince

Local Time: 07:45
Sign me up for smac-x, but I can't start playing until the end of january. If you get a group of late starters I'm in.

I could play university, consciousness, gaia, peacekeepers or morgan with a good shot at winning.
Old January 11, 2000, 14:18   #36
DilithiumDad
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Starting tech: If everyone starts with all level one tech, then the starting tech issue is removed. In SMACX, some factions start with one level 1 tech and one level 2 tech. If they still get the level 2 tech, then there is no effect.

In one game, I wanted to give everyone Centauri Ecology as a bonus tech, so I gave Centauri Empathy to the Gaians as an extra bonus.

I vote for Librarian not because I dislike drone management, but because it is an accelerator of the game (speeds up research and other things). If Librarian is too easy, how about adding Abundant Native Life? That favors the Gaians in terms of capture, but early on their "Very Green" units are mind worm snacks. (Abundant Native Life actually favors the Spartans, because their high-morale units earn extra worm-bucks!)

U of P gets the bonus tech the year after research points start to acumulate, so it's an unstoppable bonus (I actually think it's unecessary and tried to prevent it in the Islander series I set up, but the U of P players still got the bonus).

Spoils of War is really anti-builder and will cause everyone to gang up on the U of P or Cyborgs or whoever has the most tech. Alliances will be impossible. But I am willing to give it a try, personally, although it sounds like most participants are against it.

Old January 11, 2000, 14:45   #37
Myronides
Warlord

I don't mind for ATXTournament002 witch practicaly allready started, but i 'd rather play as UoP or Pk if the Hive won't get all level 1 techs from the start. I hope that will be possible for the second game of the turnament i will be partisipating.
Old January 11, 2000, 15:52   #38
zsozso
Alpha Centauri PBEMSpore
Prince

DilithiumDad,
Thanks for supporting my original idea.
You are right, if all factions start with all level 1 techs, then balance is not a problem, in fact it is even more balanced than the traditional 1-tech start.

As for the Hive, losing Doctrine:Loyalty in exchange for all level 1 techs is not a bad trade! Giving the Hive Loyalty in extra would be unbalancing.

However, the situation for SMACX factions is still not so simple:
If Cyborgs, Probes and Pirates get their level 2 techs in addition, then all original SMAC factions and the Cult of Planet are in inferior starting position. The Cult is a weak faction anyways...

So, I think all SMACX factions should start with only level 1 techs too. Opinions ?
Except for the AI-played progenitors, they could get their Field Modulation just to give the artificial idiot some more chance.

Zsozso
Old January 11, 2000, 18:15   #39
Kinjiru
lifer
The Courts of Candle'BreCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueMacSpore
King

Zso,

Please sign me up!
Faction preferences for SMAX would be Drones or Angels. For SMAC, Peacekeepers or Gaians.

email: jonathon_wood@rocketmail.com
Old January 12, 2000, 18:43   #40
TigToad
Prince

Local Time: 00:45
Zso... couple points.. first off, I am generally completely with you on the 'everyone' start with all level 1 techs and no other techs. Only problem I see this for is the pirates, don't they always start in a water base (no water base without doctrine flexibility). Of course if you're going to put them on an island it still doesn't matter.

Only other point to make is with the patch out, what effect is it going to have if some people have the patch and others don't (more importantly, if you started these games with the patch in place then someone doesn't have it?) Should it be in the list of tournament requirements?

Daniel-Tig.. of the Morganites
Old January 12, 2000, 20:15   #41
Kinjiru
lifer
King

Hey Zso-

On the other thread, the post that list players for the AX tourney has a column headed by 'par.' Sorry if I am just being a moron, but what does this column indicate?
Old January 12, 2000, 22:28   #42
zsozso
Alpha Centauri PBEMSpore
Prince

Everybody will start at the equivalent locations as can be seen on the scenario files, even including the pirates. Therefore havin no Doctrine:Flexibility is not a big deal. On the other hand the islands are small and the opponents can be reached via the sea, so the pirates can enjoy their advantages a bit later (or even from coastal bases).

Kinjiru:
Sorry, I was the moron not to explain it right away when I put that up... So, the par. is short for participation and it meant to indicate who is willing to play several games parallel (it could be short for parallel too ). If it is a number, it simply indicates that the player has expressed the he/she can play upto that many games parallel. Sign '+' indicates, the player can play many games - no particular limit. Questionmark is unkown, and I meant to ask people to express their preference. Finally, 'n' indicates newbie PBEMers, who will need some training time, so first they will play only 1 game, and later when they feel confident, they can join more games.

So, all players who have a '?' on that column, please indicate how many games are you willing to play parallel.

Zsozso
Old January 13, 2000, 01:59   #43
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:45
2 or 3 would be nice.

By the way, I noticed that you are not yet in any game. Is that because you're too busy or becuase you haven't found a CMN yet? If the latter is the case I would be willing to act as one, but I have no experience with this so it would be nice if you could provide me with a step-by step guide on how to set up the game.
Old January 13, 2000, 03:18   #44
korn469
Emperor

ok i have only played one PBEM and two isp games and i haven't played SMAC in months but i think i could play about 5 turns a week (mostly during the week weekends are not good for me) maybe a few more but i think i'd like to play

well if u think i could get a game (i'm kinda in a mood for SMAC starcraft is frustrating the hell out of me) i'd like one

i don't have alien crossfire and can only therefore only SMAC...i'd play any faction with my preference list being something like this

any(random)
Spartan Federation
UoP
Hive
Morgan
U.N.
Gaians
Believers

my email is korn469@mindless.com

korn469
[This message has been edited by korn469 (edited January 13, 2000).]
Old January 13, 2000, 05:18   #45
Spekter
Warlord

Local Time: 23:45
Local Date: October 30, 2010
If you're still accepting players, count me in. SMAC only unfortunately. Preferred factions, Hive (doesn't everyone?), Gaians, University in that order of preference. I'll play as many games as you can throw at me, but show a little patience as I've only played one multiplayer game so far and it wasn't PBEM.
[This message has been edited by Spekter (edited January 13, 2000).]
Old January 13, 2000, 06:04   #46
Fistandantilus
Prince

zsozso,
I'll play just 1 game for now (but I'm not a newbie! Had to edit to make this clear ).

About the tech question,
starting with all and only the first level techs is fine for me.
[This message has been edited by Fistandantilus (edited January 13, 2000).]
Old January 13, 2000, 10:30   #47
Kinjiru
lifer
King

Well, I am actually a PBEM newbie, but I am willing to play up to 3 parallel games.
Old January 14, 2000, 01:01   #48
zsozso
Alpha Centauri PBEMSpore
Prince

Paul, thanks for the CMN offer, I might ask for it later. Currently, there are a couple of other volunteers too.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Tau Ceti for his help finding inconsistencies in the map and trying to figure out the most efficient way to startup these games.

The reason I have not started playing myself is that I will be on Holidays (down at the Caribbean ) for a week from Sunday (16-23). I will start playing when I get back.

Fist, I know your reputation - wouldn't put newbie flag on you anyways... And I appreciate that you came down to play with us kiddies. - no offense intended to any players! Fist will probably beat the hell out of us. Speaking of which, if you do not mind waiting 'til I get back, I'd like to get the pleasure of playing with you!

The PBEM newbie flag is not a negative discrimination of any kind. Some players expressed that they never played PBEM before and would like to play with other newbies first. That's why I used the sign to help the administration.

Zsozso

ps. In reply to TigToad's concern about the AX v2 patch: I have the patch installed and will start up the game with it, and also ask all AX players to install the pacth before starting to play the PBEM games. I tis important to have a level playing field (e.g. artillery does work after the patch, which can make quite a difference).
[This message has been edited by zsozso (edited January 13, 2000).]
Old January 14, 2000, 05:05   #49
Fistandantilus
Prince

Argh!
zsozso,
I don't know who told you all those lies about my reputation (jt, you just can't shut up your big mouth, can you?) but I can assure you that I'm not that great player you seem to think. SMACGOD PRIME is another person, not me .

Yes, I played many PBEMs but that's all. I was joking about the newbie flag, just trying to point out that I'll have no problems in stuffs like keeping the pace and so on.

And we all have to thank you for setting up the tourneament, without you and your dedication this would not have been possible. The player joins the well organized tourneament, and that's what I think of this one.

If you like to play with me, yes I'll wait but then don't be surprised if I'll get eradicated by the AI long before we meet .

Fistandantilus
Old January 14, 2000, 06:15   #50
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
I want in for a SMACX game if it's not too late. Somebody is gonna have to tell me how diplomacy works in a PBEM game though.

email - wordtoyourmother@hotmail.com
Old January 14, 2000, 11:59   #51
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:45
Zsozso, I don't know if you read all the games' threads, but in the ACT003 thread EdgeCrusher asks you to mail him his password.

I don't know if you forgot to mail him one or if he misplaced it, he didn't give further details. If you already read his message and did something about it you can ignore this.
Old January 15, 2000, 01:14   #52
zsozso
Alpha Centauri PBEMSpore
Prince

To all Alien Crossfire (AX) players:
I sent the starting save of AXT001 to Tau Ceti, who reported that he is experiencing a severe case of BugID #0105, Mixed_Faction_Colors when loading up the game. Appearantly, when you load in the PBEM save, the game will use the faction graphics and colors that were saved in your Alpha_Centauri.ini file in your previous SMACX game. This means, your faction will look like some other faction and the same is true for the other factions of the game. This can be very confusing especially, if a faction appears in place of another which is realy in the game. If you start up a single player SMACX game with the same faction-slot setup as the PBEM, before you play the PBEM, exit that game and start your PBEM turn, then everything looks OK. However, it is a lot of hassle to do every turn. It is a SMACX bug, not my or Tau Ceti's fault, nevertheless we should try to work out a reasonable solution. I see 2 possibilities:

1. Pass along the correct ini file with the save game in every turn (i.e. when you zip your saved turn, zip the ini file into it and send them together to the next player). Then each player would extract it into the main game folder (not saves or scenario). This way everybody would get the right faction graphics and colors without much extra pain. Your single player and other games will overwrite the ini so that is not a problem for your other games, but you have to make sure to zip the right one before starting to play another game.

2. Keep a copy if the game-specific ini file in a scenario or save game folder designated for the given PBEM game. Copy that ini over to the game folder before starting the PBEM turn - this is far less haslle than starting up a preparation game to fix the ini file. But I am not sure how it compares to the sent along solution...

Fistandantilus:
I did not want to pick on you, I was just taking up on your newbie flag joke. But seriously, I would like to play with you, and you only want to play in 1 game, so that only works if you wait for me. Thanks for accepting that wait! I'll ask Tau Ceti to setup a game for us next week with me being the last player, so that you can start a bit earlier and I'll play my first turn on Sunday the 23rd.

Who would volunteer to be the third player in that game (from those who signed up for SMACX and not yet playing) ?

Paul:
Yes I read the ACT003 thread and sent the password to Edgecrusher last night. It was my fault, I forgot to send it out when I sent the save game to you (I did OK for ACT004).
I hope he got it and can play his turn now.

Zsozso

ps. To all players SMAC & SMACX:
I just started up a PBEM FAQ thread. Newbies please post questions there. Experienced PBEMers, please help answering them! I will freqent that thread when I am online, but i'll be away next week, so please help out!

[This message has been edited by zsozso (edited January 14, 2000).]
Old January 15, 2000, 21:10   #53
Grigger
Warlord

I'm going to start looking for PBEM here at Apolyton, the other four I've tried to start all fell through within the first turn.

I don't have SMAX, so I would have to be on the three player map.

Idea for scoring: Players earn points depending on victory method, conquest = 1, diplo/econ = 2, transcend = 3, and depending on turn in fifty year blocks, 1st fifty years = 10, 2151-2200 = 9, 2201-2250 = 8 and so on. What do you think?
Old January 16, 2000, 09:12   #54
hygum
Settler

I also want to sign up for some PBEM. SMAC or SMAC-X i dont care. And factions doesnt either matter
Old January 16, 2000, 14:43   #55
TigToad
Prince

Local Time: 00:45
Zso.. I'll take that 3rd slot in that game with you and Fist.. if you don't mind someone who's not up to your talent level.. however, I'd be honored to die gloriously. I check email about 4 times day, so have no real problems getting turns thru quick.

Pref: Cyber, Gaians, Data Probe people.

Daniel-Tig
Old January 16, 2000, 15:46   #56
Tau Ceti
King

A brave volunteer steps forward at last! The game will be created and sent out sometime next week (Zsozso will not be back until Sunday, so there is no rush). Now, Zsozso wanted to play the Cyborgs, and since it is his tournament, I think I should let him have them. Assuming that TigToad's factions were listed in order of preference, that makes him the Gaians. Good luck, TigToad!

Everyone: In Zsozso's absence, I have volunteered to set up some more SMACX games. Now I did not ask about SMAC but unless he has already made a deal with someone else to set them up I can do that too.

For that purpose, I would like some more information from some of you. In particular, I need to know:
    [*] How many games edgecrusher, DinoDoc, Lord Maxwell, BustaMike, DilithiumDad, Grigger and hygum want to play concurrently;[*] Faction preferences for BustaMike and Grigger, and perhaps some favourites from DinoDoc and hygum too. 'Any' is ok, but then you run the risk of being set up as the Cult of Planet... [/list]
    New players are still welcome to join. Please indicate SMAC/SMACX/both, number of games, and faction preferences.
Old January 16, 2000, 16:12   #57
Grigger
Warlord

1. University 2. Morgan 3. Sparta
I can play up to two games at once. My email is Saryon4102@aol.com. I'm a PBEM newbie, but I've spent a ton of time in single player. I'll be away for part of February, about a week and a half. Hope that doesn't bother anyone that much.
Old January 16, 2000, 16:16   #58
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
I really have no faction preference at this point. I've played too much to care. I would however not like the Univ. or the Planet Cult. Anyone else is fine.

I'd be willing to run probalbly only one game also. I'm taking 18 hours this semester and I kind of have to attempt to concentrate on school.
[This message has been edited by BustaMike (edited January 16, 2000).]
Old January 16, 2000, 18:39   #59
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

I'll take UoP, PK or Hive (depending on the map) in any number of SMAC PBEM's.
Is duplication of factions allowed within the game, i.e. three players all take UoP?

My email is michaelm@bc.cablemas.com , or you can post to me at ACOL (in the PBEM games wanted or offered forum), since I live there. www.planetsid.com

My PBEM hours are generally 20:00 to 10:00 GMT.
[This message has been edited by MichaeltheGreat (edited January 16, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by MichaeltheGreat (edited January 19, 2000).]
Old January 17, 2000, 15:54   #60
Lord Maxwell
Prince

Tau Ceti: I can play several, but let me start with one.

My favorites (revised) are: UoP, Morgan, Cyborgs... I now have v2.0 on one of the computers. (It refuses to run on MY machine, it only likes my gf, bastard game!)

Maybe I should go for three concurrent, one with each faction. But set me up for one for starters.