Old April 4, 2000, 03:57   #1
Black Bart

Why do I still play civ2?
It's graphics are outdated, the genre is near death. But oh why is it still so addictive. SMAC is history, but civ2 is still my most played game.

My name is Black Bart, and I'm addicted to civ2. (note I really don't want to be cured ).

To stray from my pointlessness, why do new games suck? I played the sims for a while, but I'm tired of that. SMAC no longer gets any play. Same with some of my sports games. I really didn't get my money's worth out of that. Some new games have good gameplay, but the replay value is not there.

Old April 4, 2000, 07:47   #2
AkwaticDudeCity
Warlord

Local Time: 22:36
Local Date: October 30, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by Black Bart on 04-04-2000 03:57 AM
Some new games have good gameplay, but the replay value is not there.

Exactly!

------------------
ugh crud, why won't they fall prey to my Machiavellian schemes?
Old April 4, 2000, 10:36   #3
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 17:36
I believe the problem has to do with an over-emphasis on graphics in today's games, with a resulting under-emphasis in other aspects of the game. While an emphasis in graphics certainly makes sense in first person shooters, and aids enjoyment with real time strategy games, it really isn't required for turn based strategy games; Civ II is a case in point--for that matter, so is MoO2.

If Civ III comes out with 'advanced graphics' that chew up more than their fair share of processor time,(instead of bigger maps, better management tools, killer AI, etc.), I will be sorely disappointed.
Old April 4, 2000, 14:32   #4
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Local Time: 23:36
I admit it! I'm an addict, too. I played it once many years ago and ever since it has been getting worse by the day.
Oh, please were is our equivalent of the AA?!
Why not establish the Anonymous Civilians before it is too late?

And yes, it is its replayability. it's just too replayable(***must suppress need to play, must suppress need to play, must suppress need to play...***Breaks open the lock on the save and gets out CD to play with sounds...)

Please...somebody help me...

------------------
Mathias' Civ II Page
http://members.xoom.com/thalys/index.html
Old April 4, 2000, 15:44   #5
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 00:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hello Andz83,
I think the Aok-editor isnīt bad for some new AoK-campaigns, but I think it hasnīt such great abilities as the Civ2-editors.
In AoK, You can only use predefined elements for the terrain or the buildings. And, correct me if Iīm wrong, can you change the names, the look, the sounds or the combat values of any AoK-Unit? Ok, You can create own triggers, but I believe that the AoK-scenarios are "only" scenarios. But, in my opinion, when You look on the best scenarios for Civ2 (RedFront or others), You think sometimes, You see a NEW GAME.
Please, if there is a way to edit the things in AoK I described, let me know, cause I really like the game.

And to The Mad Monk: No, I have not Total Annihilation, would You say itīs as good as Civ2?
Old April 4, 2000, 16:52   #6
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 14:36
This kind of thread brings up an interesting question.

Is civilization an addictive substance?akin to drugs,alchohol,gambling or sex?

I know my life changed(somewhat) after civ.Before my free time was spent golfing,shootin pool,goin to clubs,movies,watchin sports on TV,hangin with freinds etc.Now most of my free time is spent playing,plotting or reading about civ.After Multiplayer edition it got worse.First it was 10pm.Then 11.then 12.Soon it was 3am.Then the sun was rising.Its ridiculous

I think a clinical study needs to be done.Maybe the makers knew all along the potentially harmful effects of this game.Perhaps a lawsuit (ala tobacco industry) is in order

I refer the reader to Coug's thread "you know you've played civ too long when..."which is in it's 2nd or 3rd life now.
Old April 4, 2000, 17:14   #7
Black Bart

Well at least it doesn't damage our health. Aside from the lack of excercise. Although some may dispute it damages our mental health. Sometimes when I'm walking alone in my neighborhood at night I see barbarians threatening my captitol.

Old April 4, 2000, 17:18   #8
Civfan
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 22:36
Geez, its such an old game and for some reason we all can't stop playing it. Even though I haven't played the original game in years, the lure of scenarios keeps me coming back to the game. Its just so addictive!!
Old April 4, 2000, 20:39   #9
The Mad Monk
Emperor

BeBro: it's hard to compare, since they are two different types of game; it would be easier to compare with Starcraft or Age of Kings. Having said that, I would say TA matches Civ in both quality and replayability. Considering your complaints regarding Age of Kings, it's definately worth a shot.

I posted a couple fan sites in Uncle sparky's thread over in the Civ Comparison / Other Games forum; poking around in there should be helpful.
Old April 5, 2000, 00:05   #10
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 00:36
Yes, Civ2 is a great game, much better than most of the new games. But the best for me are the scenario editors from FW. No other game lets You create such detailed scenarios, and in no other game You can change so many aspects of the gameplay.
I like Starcraft, which has also a good scenario editor, but You cannot include Your own graphics there. Age Of Kings is also nice, but the editor is simply a joke.
Old April 5, 2000, 00:10   #11
Andz83

quote:

Originally posted by BeBro on 04-04-2000 12:05 PM
Age Of Kings is also nice, but the editor is simply a joke.

Can you explain me why this is the case? I think the AoK-Editor is good enough to create scenarios.

Might be out of topic but one more post is one more post...

Old April 5, 2000, 00:13   #12
Empress
The Empress

Local Time: 16:36
I dunno but if you find a cure for this addiction let me know!
Old April 5, 2000, 00:15   #13
The Mad Monk
Emperor

BeBro: have you tried Total Annhilation? The fan base has proven beyond all doubt that the game is so customizable that it may as well be open source!
Old April 5, 2000, 00:37   #14
George Garrett
Warlord

Bart, did you ever try the ORIGINAL Earl Weaver Baseball? This, for me, rivals Civ2 in
riveting me to the computer
Old April 5, 2000, 04:33   #15
mindseye
King

Local Time: 06:36
The reason is DRAMA! Civ2 is ENGAGING!

The underlying algorithms are so accurate! The way history unfolds before you is often uncannily realistic! Okay, okay, sometimes it's ridiculous, but for the most part it's realistic enough to give me the feeling that I have a personal stake in history and can even influence it. It's intellectually challenging due to it's flexibility. Its open-ended extensibility allows scenario designers to continue evolving the game, keeping it fresh.

quote:

It's graphics are outdated

Black Bart, I will be changing that for you in about a week with the release of the second version of the HiRes graphics patch... stay tuned!

- mindseye
Old April 5, 2000, 17:48   #16
Black Bart

Second version? I never seen the first. Is there a sample of these graphics somewhere? I'd be interested.
They may not be outdated but close. MOM's are outdated. It's a great game, and lately I've been in the mood for it. But it's no longer on my hard drive, and I never owned it. I'll have to borrow it.

Old April 5, 2000, 22:04   #17
mindseye
King

Local Time: 06:36
Black Bart, to find the first version of my graphics patch, simply go to the Apolyton's Downloads page and search on the name "HiRes".

- mindseye
Old April 6, 2000, 11:56   #18
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 16:36
Why? Because it's not RTS.
Old April 6, 2000, 15:28   #19
The Mad Monk
Emperor

BeBro: I posted a comparison between Starcraft and Total Annhilation, but I goofed and sent it to the wrong thread! Please see the thread started by Uncle Sparky over in the 'Comparisons' forum for the post.
edit: This is not the post I referred to on 4 April.
[This message has been edited by The Mad Monk (edited April 06, 2000).]
Old April 6, 2000, 18:59   #20
Sten Sture
Emperor

I have strained my right eye from playing Nemo's RedFront scenario! I am not kidding!

and that is not a wink.

Old April 7, 2000, 14:19   #21
Earthling7
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 23:36
Recently I started playing Civ2 again. Why? Because I got bored of HiRes NoPlay. It's so simple, yet complex. It's like coming home. Civ2 is like an old friend. Once a while you feel like going back and have little reunion. What I also like about it is that it's familiar. The wonders, city improvements, units. I think SMAC's problem is that it takes place in an alien world and the units and techs are alien. Can't wait for Civ3... and don't even get me started on CTP...

AoK is cool, but gets boring pretty quick, I think. Too linear. Like C&C. Harvest, build units and kill the other guy. I like Civ because it's just as much about the land, politics. Not just war... although wars in Civ can be satisfying :grin:
Old April 7, 2000, 20:03   #22
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 15:36
Being as I am as cheap as they come, I only have had Civ2 for about a year now. I bought it at a Kmart for 9.99 (american), and the only reason I shelled out that much was because I had heard it was such a good game - AND I was addicted to the original Civilization (I don't even want to admit what I paid for that a year before). I also bought FW for 1.99 a couple of months ago.
Still, even with the massive amount of scenarios, mods, maps, etc., I still spend about half my time playing it straight as it came out of the box. It is just such a rush to win out against some situations I run up against. I also like lording it over my opponents when I master them. Even when I get my butt plastered it's still a rush. I expect I'll be playing civ2 until civ3 comes down to a reasonable price.
Old April 8, 2000, 16:55   #23
Smash
Emperor

LOL.You're not cheap just conservative.Thrifty.Fiscally responsible

maybe we'll get a collection going so you have Civ3 before Civ4 is out