Old March 23, 2000, 14:53   #31
Tau Ceti
King

Local Time: 09:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Of course the Morganites recognize the efforts made by the University in setting up an efficient economy; in fact, much of the technology we needed to set it up ourselves was imported from the University. That, however, does not mean it will have any less impact on the lives of the Morganites. The idea is more evolutionary than revolutionary anyway; the concept was well known even back on Earth. We hardly see how patent rights could apply.

Furthermore, we are confident in our ability to run the economy even better than the University, although we are of course pleased that there is competition. That will only serve to make us both stronger. Let the markets decide!
[This message has been edited by Tau Ceti (edited March 23, 2000).]
Old March 23, 2000, 21:04   #32
TigToad
Prince

Local Time: 00:51
(Sorry it took me so long to get this turn off--very busy day at work today).

University officials report that the strange life forms the other human factions have had problems with seem to have found University territory in droves this year--indicating that it was not a local phenomenon but rather having to do with the strange fungal swamps.

Tig
Old March 24, 2000, 01:18   #33
TigToad
Prince

Discoveries today at University base provided a complete map of the Human Brain. However, our researchers were most distressed today to find that we were not the first faction to map the human brain. Aparently from what reports we received from the Morganites, the Aliens have captured some of our people and have done extensive mapping of the human sub-conscious (No doubt one of the other unity pods which had the misfortunate of landing too close to the aliens).

We eagerly await further communication from both of our human neighbors, this place could be a gold mine of research and learning for all human kind if we survive the wrath of the alien presence anyway.

Tig
Old March 24, 2000, 01:40   #34
Tau Ceti
King

There was much celebration at Morgan Industries, today, as the new Morgan Industries Stock Exchange (MISE) opened for business.

'This is a great day,' CEO Tau Ceti said in his speech at the opening. 'It is a milestone in our history. Now we can truly start the hard work of creating a true free market economy to improve the living standards of all and eliminate poverty. Of course, someone must be the first to benefit. This is a great day for the Morganic shareholder.'

The general enthusiasm among investors was noticeable, as nearly all stocks soared on the first day. MISE will be happy to review any who wish to apply for notation, including enterprising Cybernetic and University businesses.
Old March 24, 2000, 01:58   #35
TigToad
Prince

University put out a brief press release this afternoon to the effect of: "The Morganites can pretend they revolutionized the idea of a Chiron based stock exchange if they want to ignore the fact that the University has had a stock exchange up and running since year 1 on planet. The Chiron-University-Exchange-of-Stocks (CUES)must get at least a little credit as a model for how to build a stock exchange on planet. If the Morganites can't recognize what we did, we worry about severe patent violations in the future."
[This message has been edited by TigToad (edited March 23, 2000).]
Old March 24, 2000, 07:03   #36
Tau Ceti
King

Morgan Industries accountants report that the first subsidy payment is on its way to the Cyborgs.
Old March 24, 2000, 12:09   #37
Misotu
Emperor

Local Time: 08:51
Chiron Newswire, newsflash
In what must be the fastest election in history, Prime Function Misotu was today elected as leader of the Cybernetic faction. The election was called, voting completed and the result announced this morning. Total elapsed time: 0.00001 seconds. Voting turnout was 100%.

Despite being pressed by journalists, Cybernetic spokesfunctions seemed confused by questions regarding multiple candidates and parties. "We can see no efficiency benefit from introducing these unnecessary complications" was the only response.
newsflash ends
[This message has been edited by Misotu (edited March 24, 2000).]
Old March 24, 2000, 14:53   #38
Tau Ceti
King

Morganic industrial leaders are pleased at the amount of Unity materials our scouts bring back to our settlements. Infrastructural development is quicker than anticipated.
Old March 24, 2000, 15:17   #39
Misotu
Emperor

A strange anecdote has reached the ears of your reporter. It is rumoured that, in an uncharacteristic fit of temper, the Prime Function punished a subordinate who remarked "you can never have too much survey data".

The function in question will serve as a circuit board in the Alpha Prime main server for a period of at least three months.

The routine data transmission to UoP has been completed.
Old March 24, 2000, 16:18   #40
TigToad
Prince

Did you hear the one about the Cyborg, the Banker and the Scientist...

Turn has been passed on to the Morganites republic without incident.

Tig
Old March 24, 2000, 17:16   #41
Tau Ceti
King

All is quiet. Nothing to report.

- Morganic scout patrol classic quote
Old March 24, 2000, 17:43   #42
Misotu
Emperor

An uneventful year in Cyberland. Spokesfunctions declined to call a press conference, stating that there was "nothing to announce". It is rumoured that a highly secret scientific facility is to be constructed in one of the outlying bases, specifically for the study of rabbit genes. One science function, who declined to be named, states that this has been evaluated as the best hope for matching fullhuman breeding rates.
Old March 24, 2000, 20:43   #43
Tau Ceti
King

Nothing new to report from Morgan Industries. Some people claim to have seen a researcher being taken away while muttering about 'orderly distribution of goods', but Morganic officials deny the story.
Old March 25, 2000, 01:35   #44
TigToad
Prince

Any protests planet had to the election of TigToad as provost of the University was quelled today as generals accross the island reported an end to the strange worm-like creatures. Unfortunately, however, in some of the 'new' land that was discovered two years ago in the minor quake (minor compared to the other factions reports anyway of quakes), a contaminated unity pod turned a large chunk of what was viable land into that strange fungus. This sudden attack of fungus is going to slow expansion plans according to at least one University insider.

TigToad
Old March 25, 2000, 14:00   #45
TigToad
Prince

Provost TigToad has been subdued of late over the slow going of the University facilities on the planet. Despite the impending construction of two bases in the coming year he seems displeased with how slow its going in the last couple years.

Tig
Old March 25, 2000, 15:31   #46
Tau Ceti
King

The Morganites are truly baffled at the discovery recently made by a scout patrol. What they thought was one of the many helpful pods from the Unity, turned out to be an ancient machine of destruction. Both its armour and weaponry are more powerful than any currently known to man, and the entire machine alters the sound waves around it, creating a resonant humming sound. It remains to be seen whether this machine has anything to do with the polar inhabitants, or if it was left by an even more ancient civilization. One Morganic spokesman is quoted as saying 'This place has a busy history!'
Old March 25, 2000, 17:31   #47
Misotu
Emperor

Complimentary copies of "The Joy of Sex" and the Kama Sutra have now been circulated to every function in Cybernetic society. The Prime Function has identified reproduction as the principal goal for coming years. Sadly, the low Borg sex drive seems unresponsive to any stimulus.
Old March 25, 2000, 20:44   #48
TigToad
Prince

Fortunately, we members of the University know the joys of sex quite well, as we note we have the highest population on planet (ok, ok, by 1).

Tig
Old March 26, 2000, 01:08   #49
Misotu
Emperor

It is rumoured that the mood of the Prime Function has been much improved this year by the discovery of a strange alien artifact. Elsewhere, researchers were jubilant at the discovery of new technology enabling the construction of sea-going vessels.
Old March 26, 2000, 06:26   #50
Tau Ceti
King

Perhaps if the people of the University concentrated less on such activities and more on the tasks at hand, they could stop sending the wrong files to the Morganites...
Old March 26, 2000, 14:00   #51
Misotu
Emperor

Dammit, no game to play. That means I have *no* excuse for not clearing up the kitchen. Humph.
Old March 26, 2000, 16:48   #52
Tau Ceti
King

Well, I hope you have some other work you can postpone. 2114 to Misotu.
Old March 26, 2000, 17:57   #53
Misotu
Emperor

Yes indeedy. Raking up acorn cups in the garden

2114 to Provost Tig.
Old March 26, 2000, 18:21   #54
TigToad
Prince

Sorry about the reload guys... my computer crashed when I loaded the game file, I swear.

Anyway, 2114 off to Tau.

Tig
Old March 26, 2000, 19:13   #55
Tau Ceti
King

No problem, Tig. 2115 to Misotu.

(These messages became very boring once we hit page 2.)
Old March 27, 2000, 12:15   #56
TigToad
Prince

Drone riots today hit University Base over protests to the 'free market' approach to economics TigToad had chosen for the University people. In a short speech earlier today Tig strongly denied allogations that he would rather deprive his capital city of food than cave to the rioters demands to move to a different governing system. In the mean time doctors have been rushed into the city to try to curb any fatalities as a result of the riots.

Old March 27, 2000, 12:40   #57
Tau Ceti
King

Morgan Industries today made an announcement that should forever clear them of the accusations that they care nothing about their people's quality of life. Large corporate grants have finally made a long-time dream of humanity come true: the Human Genome Project has been completed! Already, new Morgan Industries spinoff companies are busy producing cures for all kinds of diseases that have plagued mankind since the beginning of time; soon they will be a thing of the past.

Spontaneous celebrations broke out in the streets at this news. It is projected that the increased quality of life will soon have an amazing 75 % of the population officially qualifying as talents.
Old March 27, 2000, 14:40   #58
Misotu
Emperor

Alpha Prime was subdued today at the news that Morgan Industries has completed the Human Genome Project.

Pressed by journalists to explain how Cybernetic scientists had failed to map the gene before the Morgan executives, the Prime Function would only respond that "Cybernetic researchers are the best on Planet. We simply don't have enough of them."

Native life forms continue to emerge from unity pods in their droves but have so far been contained by Cybernetic troops.

[This message has been edited by Misotu (edited March 27, 2000).]
Old March 28, 2000, 03:47   #59
TigToad
Prince

Ok.. I took the turn again at work this afternoon. I was playing the turn while being online in the background (normal for me).. MSN took a major dump on me and my lap top froze. I retook the turn (again, I know--its killing me, I actually pod popped this turn and had a horrible pod pop compared to the original). However, my internet account was down for hours after the crash fiasco and I didn't get the turn off. Considering how sick I am right now I may or may not be in to work tomorrow to get the turn off again... hopefully. If not then definitely by wednesday. I feel awful holding up our game so much as we make such great progress the rest of the time.

PS_ If you two continue to trade _my_ techs between yourselves I won't be able to ever trade you two different techs again. A sadness, but hey, I was playing on the level with you two I assumed you'd do the same...

Tig
Old March 29, 2000, 17:35   #60
Tau Ceti
King

To our friends in the University research labs:

We did not know that the data was shared with any strings attached, and we did not expect any non-disclosure on your part either. Now that we know how you feel, we will respect that.

2117 to Misotu.