Old January 9, 2001, 04:36   #1
MarkG

Please Keep Threads to up to 150 posts
it has been a policy for some time now to close threads that get over 150 posts and to start a new one.

this has been mostly done in the OT but also applies for all the other forums

now, the last thing i want to do is enforce such policies, so please enforce them yourselves for the sake of our server and for your faster posting times...

thanks

Old January 9, 2001, 04:39   #2
MarkG

and yes, i know that the policy is kept for some of the threads, but please keep it for all threads at 150 posts

thanks again

Old January 24, 2001, 17:53   #3
Hobbes_One

Ummmmmm, OK, I'll bite. Why?

I may be completely deluded, but surely only the page being viewed is the only one actually loaded- therefore the size of the page would be crucial for faster loading times rather than the size of the thread? Surely an entire thread is not loaded each time I wish to view a current page? Therefore the number of pages in a thread seems completely irrelevent to the speed at which a page will load.

Hobbes

Old January 25, 2001, 01:23   #4
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
This has more to do with the speed of posting. You may have noticed that when you post a reply to a short thread it will go much faster than when you post to a long thread.
Old January 25, 2001, 07:55   #5
Hobbes_One

Ummmm, no actually I hadn't noticed that. I'll have to dig out a stopwatch and experiment. However, this doresn't make much sense to me either. Are you seriously trying to tell me that the server must load all the messages before it can write to the end? Given that the last page will already be loaded to read before writing, why cannot the server just place the message in the apopropriate spot: N+1 where N is the number of messages already written. If this were true, then following the posting of a message, the loading of any previously unviewed page should be very rapid as the have been "loaded" by the server. In my experience this is not tyhe case.

Hobbes- still confused.

Old January 26, 2001, 01:33   #6
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I don't know exactly how UBB works, but I do know that posting to short threads is faster than posting to long threads. But now that threads are limited to 150 posts you usually won't notice too big a difference.
Old January 30, 2001, 19:15   #7
Misotu
Emperor

Yeah, Paul's right. Short threads are faster. The other thing that used to happen before the limit was introduced was that posts to long threads stopped working properly - you'd see an indication that the last post was an hour ago, say, but when you loaded the thread the last one you could read was from the previous day or whatever.