Old July 2, 1999, 09:28   #61
KenThur
Prince

Local Time: 23:18
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Most excellent improvements Apolyton!! Thanks; as S'Fart points out, this saves need for new area.
The Japanese dynasty's appointed stand-in, Colon(a man to be watched judging by his ICQ info) has contacted me thru ICQ channels. I trust has been setup on your diplomatic hotlines also.
I briefed him on how we had all agreed that as host, I, the Mighty Viking Consul Milo was to be given all tech's that he may have that we don't. As gifts for the excellent hosting job we have done & will do(or else!).
We thank all of U fine leaders for your continuing support of my ultimate victory; as we continue to cleverly lull U into a false sense of security due to our present status as the most piss-ant civ in this world.

Host note: is it possible for all U big strong leaders to begin an hour earlier tomarrow (1pm eastern US). Pls ICQ if possible. I will be there to kick it off.
Old July 2, 1999, 10:12   #62
Colon™
Emperor

Local Time: 01:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'll replace Takeshi as ruler of the Sioux nation, but I'm not 100% sure what at what time the game is.
And please don't tell me the time in am and pm coz they confuse. (Somehow, I just keep on forgetting when am is and when pm, and it's even more annoying when I have to recalculate it to my time zone "to I have to add 6 hours or otherwise ?" GRRR !)

Don't worry about my ICQ info, I filled that at a time I was very bored.
Old July 2, 1999, 10:18   #63
Colon™
Emperor

I missed the previous post of Ken Thur. Appearantly it's at 1pm EST: ok, if I'm correct that's 13:00 right ? I live in the W.European time zone, so that would be 7:00 here right ?
Please ecorrect me if I'm wrong...

I think that those time zones should be abolished and replaced by one singly time for whole the world and while we're busy PM and AM should be destroyed as well.
Old July 3, 1999, 07:36   #64
KenThur
Prince

(Note: sorry I cannot format using this little window)
As of now, today's Diplo #2 Roster: (In turn-playing order)
Civ, Regular, Sub, ICQ, -GMT+
Jap, Grau Geist, Dave, 13189688, -6
Vik, KenThur/Milo, , 27936046, -5
Azt/Cro, Smart Fart, , 30237167, 1+
Chin, Geronimo/matt, , 18200855, -6
Eng, Purple Onion, , 41662900, -8
Siux, Takeshi, Colon, 35489651, 1+
Russ, Pastiman, , 38171222, 0

It seems that 18:00 GMT (1pm eastern) works for most of us. Please be there or ICQ excuses / reasons ASAP.

Looking forward to another good long session!
Remember, this is a competition amoung male minds & egos for dominance of the (play)world. As such, take out your natural aggressiveness & mud-slinging on each others' civ's on the playing arena. Feel free to war, bribe, sway allies, steal tech's, ignore, or even make peace! But after it's over take it like a MAN & get over IT. Unlike the physical jocks, we can't go all have a beer & slap each other on the ass after each round, but we can post here & tell stories. So have fun, be smart, & when dealing with Vikings... be nice & give us everything U got.
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by KenThur (edited July 03, 1999).]</font>
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by KenThur (edited July 03, 1999).]</font>
Old July 3, 1999, 19:29   #65
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

THE NEW ENGLISH TIMES:

Quote:
ENGLISH LEADER REMOVED FROM OFFICE!
Purple onion the former leader of the English nation is held in custody for crimes against his own people and high treason.
Quote:
MILITARY LAW SOON LIFTED!
Present military leader CapTVK promises a quick return to democratic rule. On the question if the popular naval officer would try to run for president his comment was "if time allows, perhaps I will..."
Quote:
BUSINESS BOOMING AFTER MARKETS ARE REOPENING!
Business as usual in the larger cities after it became clear that the war soon will be over. Markets are building rebuild all over the nation and some businessmen are planning to reopen the bank in London after new trade agreements with Russia and Japan were presented by the goverment. "purple onion was an even worse businessman than a leader commented an important figure in the business society", "things are finally looking up" he added.

commentary by the editor:
After letting the country fall into ruin by mismanagement and total incompetence our former leader 'purple onion the spoilsport 'is finally removed from office by the naval officer CapTVK. Most of us won't shed a tear for purple onion. He forced the country into a foolish war with the Aztecs and the Sioux after stealing techs from the Aztecs and taking the Sioux city of Cairo in Egypt under the pretense of protecting the English community there and renamed it Liverpool.

That was the only success we had, we lost our cities in southern Europe our naval forces were almost reduced to a single ship. Purple onion made a final deal with the Russians for a temporary exchange of Leonardo's workshop in trade for techs stolen from the Aztecs. Our military was upgraded to musketeers but what could we do? We would never survive an onslaught by the Aztecs AND the Sioux on our mainland. This was the time when CapTVK stepped in. The country was in tatters: almost no city improvements anywhere and only one wonder (SoL). He had to act fast to get the country reorganized: he set up an embassy in Russia, kept on speaking terms with our powerful southern neighbour the Japanese and started to restructure the city improvements and reinforced it's only succesfull conquest: Liverpool.

Diplomatic talks with Aztecs and Sioux would follow several turns later. The Aztecs were already debating an invasion of the English mainland in nothern Africa through Egypt aided by the Sioux who planned to retake 'their Cairo' although the population was mainly English. The country was still under military law (fundamentalism) so the cities were kept in check to prevent riots and CapTVK restarted diplomatic talks with the Aztecs and the Sioux. He promised he would accept the responsibility for the actions of our former leader and was ready to make reparations for his actions.

Dealings with the Aztecs were easier than the Sioux. The Aztecs had conquered our cities in southern Europe and CapTVK yielded those cities to the Aztecs, two techs and a diplo to set up an embassy on the English mainland for peace .
After the embassy and the handing over of the first tech we were allowed to make peace with the Aztecs. The Sioux weren't so easily satisfied they demanded their city back. CapTVK was adamant in his position that the city would remain English and made an offer: 5x50gold and 2 caravans for war reparations. After intense discussions between other nations another agreement was reached: The English would hand over 4 settlers to the Sioux. Those settlers were needed inside our mainland however and we finally settled on handing over 2 settlers plus 150 gold. In return liverpool would remain in English hands. At least we had reached peace, at a cost perhaps but the cost would have been far higher with war, far higher indeed...

Old July 4, 1999, 00:19   #66
Takeshi
Warlord

Local Time: 18:18
The First Nation Herald
July 3, 1999
20 gold (inflation these days...)

LEADER DISPOSED OF YET AGAIN!(cover story)

When will the list ever end? After Takeshi announced his vacation to the Philippines and left General David to run things in his abscence, another revolt has overthrown the monarchy, to be replaced by a more democratic governement. President Colon will start the first term of the Sioux presidency today. General David has fled to Argentina, while it is rumored that King Takeshi was disposed of in his private resort at Cebu, Philippines. One source reports that his last words were: "Are you the new waiter? I'll have one of those coconut special cocktails."
(continued on A3, DISPOSED)

ANARCHY!(cover story)

The changing of goverments has caused turmoil accross the country, with looting and pillaging rampant. Many citizens have lost their lives in the revolt, and innocent japanese tourists were caught in the whirlwind when a catapult shot which was targeting the Department of Defense building accidently hit the future building of the Japanese Embassy.
(continued on A2, ANARCHY)

BARBARIANS! (A3)

Help! Barbarians are invading the offices of "The First Nation Herald". If help doesn't come soon, they will break through the front door and kilcz ,.ajeoi .mad.m28 lkj38 sml90 8h sj je .........................................
(continued in OBITUARIES)

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Takeshi (edited July 03, 1999).]</font>
Old July 4, 1999, 06:07   #67
KenThur
Prince

Viking Sentinel(early RUSH edition): 820AD under the reign of Milo the Semi-Magnificent

A most rousing century of warfare, negotiations, & eventually, peace on our increasingly intertwined world!! Most exciting, well-done, & nearly tech hassle-free!
A BIG tip-o-the-hat to our new wave of rulers! Both subs & permanent new dynasties. As host civ I must commend the most EXCELLENT leadership & enlightened civ management of these fine rulers:

=&gt; Icer(back from temporary retirement); as an excellent stand-in for the out-of-Kyoto Shogun GGeist. Displayed an excellent & immediate grasp of the JTP's situ in China, executing rapidly the retaliatory strike on that civ for past transgressions. While seemingly backing off pursuing their war against the Sioux, in order for the new leaders of the Sioux & England to work out a settlement over the historical hot-spot (known by various names) located at the mouth of the Nile.

=&gt; Colon, a ruler from the land of the middlemen & the seat of European unity, Belgium; as the new pragmatic dynasty of the Sioux civ grooved right into the good job the preceding Takeshi had started. Building on the newly reformed government that had been in anarchy & disarray. He seems to have understood immediately the importance of NOT getting involved in the wars of his historical "allies", the Aztec/Croats & the Chinese. Instead, concentrating on developement of his declining civ & making friends.

=&gt; CapTVK, another enlightened & wise ruler from the "old" countries... in his case the land of trading & smart businessmen, The Netherlands; this brave new ruling family took on the unenviable task of saving England! What a guy!! Again, with a quick assessment of the situations he faced... wars with 2 of his 3 neighbors, he(with the direct help of the Russians & the negotiating influence of the Vikings) managed to pull this rapidly disingrating civ out of the fires his predecessor had started(with some cause, we might add). In the middle of EVERYTHING, poor England under his reasonable but firm leadership has at last seem to have found a dynasty of destiny to bring it back into the fold of peaceful nations.

We the peaceful & finally prospering, Viking people & our semi-enligthened Consul Milo the semi-Magnificent, do hereby wish all our new rulers Peace & Prosperity for centuries to come!!

PS: now send down some caravans & tech's(!?)
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by KenThur (edited July 04, 1999).]</font>
Old July 4, 1999, 13:21   #68
Colon™
Emperor

For millenia the Sioux empire had been a monarchy, under the rule of the royal family Takeshi.
Even after most of the world had fought it's way towards more freedom and modern goverment organisation, sometimes bloody, sometimew more peaceful, the Sioux royal house and remained to stay in power.
Even a Republican revolt with a following Republican goverment and the rule of a dictator had not been able to end the rule of the Royal family.
But you cannot you cannot stop time and the time for the last and oldest monarchy had come, a new Republican revolution broke out which was long and bloody. For decades there was no central rule and to make it even worse, a war started with Japan.
Fortunately someone managed to prevent the mighty Japanese empire from blowing away the divided Sioux, that someone was Colon, governot of Iraq.
He made himself very popular all over the Sioux empire with this stunning act of diplomacy in convinicing Japan to sign an unconditional cease fire.
Colon knew he had to grab the opportunity to use his newly gained popularity to reunite
the Sioux and to esthablish a new, modern central goverment.
He invited all governors, majors and even warlords to the capital for a historic conference and made something happen that seemed impossible a year before, a new central goverment was found, based upon Republican principles.
A new era began for the Sioux, which is hoped to be an era of prosperity and glory...

The first Sioux president, Colon, had several goals.
First, new empty territories were colonised, in the north: near the Caspian Sea and in Kazakstan.
At the same time the infrastructure in the empire would be improved, new roads were build in India and a coloseum was build in the capital to cease the unrests in a Roman way.
But Colon also is working on improving the defense capabilities of the Sioux Republic:
the city defenses were improved in the most important and largest city of the middle east, Basra and the entire army is being modernised, replacing the outdated phalanx divisions, by combative musketeers.

But Colon did not overly focused upon internal affairs while ignoring external, new trade ralations with the Croat allies are opened, as well as with China.

Even more important, a lasting peace has been esthablished with the English neighbours, preventing new wars over Egypt and the city of Cairo.
England agreed to let 20.000 Sioux, who were held captive in Egypt after the conquest of it, return home and handed over stolen Sioux treasuries for a value of 150 gold.

The first decades after the turmoil were positive for the Sioux but a lot of work still has to be done.
Old July 6, 1999, 09:21   #69
SmartFart
Civilization II MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEM
King

anno domini 840,president office:

peace spread all thru mighty croatian empire.
we are very pleased about replacement in english goverment. theres no need to hunt the beast anymore,cuz his own people decided to dethronize their previous leader purple onion. but we have to made some 'correction' in last english statement: there was only one english city in southern europe (rome) and it was builded when our war with english already started (what a wise decission,don't you agree?).
japan occupied chinese city shenyang. now am not going to moralize about capturing someones city when ai runs his civ,but this is unacceptable to our goverment. chinese is our eternal ally. we surely don't approve stealing technologies,but we have no intentions to let japan to occupy chinese territory. however...we will not directly attack japan,but we will help china to get his city back with all other means but our military interference. we have no idea how japan managed to declare a war to us,because none of us commited no war actions against each other,but we guessing that some ai offered some money to japan in case of war declaration (no moralization on this point also). anyway...our goverment will not allow to anybody to capture more cities from ai. you have to find some other ways to strenghten your position.

we've finally in democracy now. golden age expecting in our next session.

sf
Old July 8, 1999, 13:54   #70
KenThur
Prince

Bringing us to the top again:
I must apologize for confusion re: 2 things... :0
#1&gt; the correct, latest & greatest save file.
In the last-minute retires, hot-joins & finally, ending session for the day; the save i presented to some of U as the 1 to restart from was not in fact, the latest & greatest. Colon supplied me with an even better 1 that includes the English-Sioux settlement & the actual assignment of units & payment of gold per their settlement.
If U would like that copy pls let me know & i will (try to)send U a copy for Sat's session.
Note: a "learning" from ICQ file send function... it ONLY works when BOTH parties are online & in ICQ. Email still seems the best way to send files... but not every1 has put his email on ICQ. Pls do if U want to be able to get files.

#2&gt; My math on computing GMT was wrong in several instances... 2pm eastern US = 19:00 GMT or 20:00 for our European rulers. dah-h-h, sorry!
If at all possible; it seems the majority of us can start an hour earlier, 18:00 GMT, let's do it... if works with U.
Old July 10, 1999, 17:00   #71
Pastieman
Settler

Diplo game 10 July

Methinks this is going sour.

I am seriously beginning to question whether large scale games of this nature can ever work - we are still in relatively early stages and yet our games are constantly plagued by technical faults. As Colon mentioned we play for two hours and have to replay one hour of that every time.

It seems to me that with this many players the chances of one of us having problems and thereby stopping everyone playing are increased to the extent where every turn someone seems to have a problem. Okay so this session it was my machine playing up but I am not the first one this has happened to during this game.

And if it's like this now then what on earth is it going to be like when we all have ten times as many units in the future.

I wish someone would come up with a reliable solution because up to now I have really enjoyed the actual game play when it happens during this game , but with all the stops and problems I really cannot see a way forward.

I'll be there next week to give it a final try but I am certain I am not the only one who is beginning to lose faith in this......

your thoughts are welcomed.....

the Pastieman
Old July 11, 1999, 00:47   #72
KenThur
Prince

Viking Sentential: 840-1020AD

Not an overly fun or productive couple of centuries. As President Pasti cited, connection glitches amoung the rulers caused numerous delays.
However, let me start with a confession;
we actually started out perfectly... until the host, Viking Communications Minister Dumbo in his rush to get started, hit the &lt;Enter&gt; button at the last screen "Waiting for Other Players to Join" which in the case of THAT screen meant "CANCEL", NOT "Continue"!! So human error, not the machines created the 1st round of knockoff's.
He was executed the next morning!

President S'Fart bravely stepped in to take over, thinking it was an equipment failure. Though his Aztec/Croat civ is far ahead in the game technology, his remote location relative to the other rulers makes his hosting rather difficult. As such, he lasted only 20 years or so until he had to drop the hosting back to Viking Milo. So again we restart. This time, between all the communiques flying back & forth, combined with the Vikings operating from their secondary location & machine (rather less stable & slower than primary) the restarts took an unbearable 10-15 min's! But FINALLY we were stable & history started to be made again.

Business News:
Our 1st long distance trade carval, loaded to the decks, took off! Across the vast, unexplored expanse of the Pacific, on it's way to... (ah-ah, nope; trade secret)

Meanwhile, city building continued at a slow but steady pace.

International Section:
Foreign relations were mostly smooth during this period, summarized herewith;

Chinese &gt;&gt; exchanged some ideas & solidified positions with our neighbors to the N. Confirming again that the Vikings have no desire or intention of getting involved in any armed conflict. We will stand neutral.

Sioux &gt;&gt; had to reassert & remind the newly enlightened Colon dynasty of earlier border treaties with he & his predecessor. We both seem to feel that as minor powers, we must work together. The Sioux are in a particularily tenuous position; expanding out of the Indian sub-contintent, surrounded on all sides. However, we here publicly confirm the Vikings' desire to forge strong bonds with this recovering civ & it's excellent leader! We need to build a "Burma Road" over the hills that separate us & the Chinese. To do so will require our units working side-by-side. Therefore I, High Consul Milo of the Vikings, do hereby propose an alliance to the Fine Sioux Civ!! To show our sincerity & good intentions we gifted the AI ruler that took over for the last several decades of this period, the military technology of Chivalry! So that our neighbors can better defend themselves against over-bearing, yellow-skinned "neighbors".

English &gt;&gt; During these centuries, the ruling CapTVK dynasty finally came to see us as a peoples & Ruler that do as we say & truly intend no harm to other (currently)
minor powers. They, as with the Sioux, find themselves in the midst of larger powers. While on the other hand, we Vikings are no threat & could actually be excellent trading partners due to our distant location. With new found wisdom & openness, Prime Minister Cap worked some most excellent barters that proved to be quite mutually benificial to both our civ's! Hear-Here!! The PM is learning that not all of the rulers of this world are interested in keeping he & his English countrymen "under the thumb". May we do many more deals in the future!

Russians &gt;&gt; We (tried to) maintain communications & hope to do more in the future with the clever, yet level-headed President Pasti. Sudden drop-outs not withstanding.

Japan &gt;&gt; with the temporary rule of AI this session, had little to say or do with them during these 2 centuries.

Aztec/Croats &gt;&gt; What can be done or said with the world's (current)superpower who, in our case, is on the other side of this large world?

=========================================
As for the future...
With our new world rules of using only THE BEST hosting machine, frequent saves by ALL rulers, & NOT overwhelming the lines of commo with messages if a restart is required; we should all be able to enjoy the fun part of growing our civ's while minimizing the effects of technical mishaps.
Not to mention, this Host has learned to keep his finger off the &lt;Enter&gt; button during the crucial linking process.
Old July 11, 1999, 09:23   #73
SmartFart
King

basically,pastieman is right. last night session was quite irritiating,but i don't think this is equipment failure. it's...let's say...20% equipment failure and 80% human failure and unexpirience. thats why i want to host in this particulary game,but my 233mhz with 56k modem isn't exactly last word of modern science.

we all saw what happened last night. it took 2.5 hours to play 3 turns and after pastieman missed his turn milo restarted twice,both times with wrong saved file .
so,with enter/cancel on the beginning of a game,it was 3 (three) human errors (errare humanum est) against one equipment failure (pastieman missed his turn).

when i compare this,with a game i played later with also 7 players where we did 3 (three) restarts in a row (cuz of technical problems) in less than 15 minutes am starting to asking myself 'what am i doing here?'

in every serious game i've played,we always did reloading when someone missed his turn. but in this particulary one,i suggest we go on with it. if someone drops out when someones else turn,no problem. we will hold until you come back. but if you drops out when is your turn,live with it. why are you guys sending all these messages when the game is in loading process? why are you hitting 'cancel' if the game isn't loaded in 10 seconds? for gods sake...you have transfer icon in the lower right corner of your w98. if its blinking,everything is fine. you just have to wait until LARGE map with ALOT of units load itself to SEVEN players.
milo,hosting isn't just a technical term. you have to direct all players and make game as fast as it can be. it is much better to save game once per turn (usually yours) than 7x per turn under different names so its not very strange that you don't know anymore which game to load when we have to replay one turn.
and why some of you guys need more than 2-3 minute per turn? if i (largest civ) need 2 why do you need 10? it doesnt make sense to me.

sf

p.s. i got adam smith's t.c.
Old July 12, 1999, 00:26   #74
KenThur
Prince

SF: I was trying to host Sat with equip on par with yours... & a less-than-best connection thru my wife's shop & the old building it's in = probably 28.8 connect speed at best even tho the modem is a 56. Having frequent saves IS A GOOD thing because of the length of the total trun on these big games.
But as U said, every1 hollering at once about how far to go back & hurry up & what's the matter?! It overwhelms the: A) modem, B) host computer, & C) host human!!
That's why these minor glitches turn into MAJOR HASSLES.

The 5-watt blub just came on!
Why don't we use our heads & unique-to-humans organizational skills. If U have a large group attempting to do ANYTHING together, what do U have? Correct! An organization!
Why didn't all this CivII MP brainpower think of it before?!?

An Executive Officer, a 2nd in command, a vice-president, a VICE-HOST!!
We MUST assign such a position at the startup of every session. This person is the contact person, the controller, the sorter-outer of all the barrage of Q's & messages & the what-is-happening-! complaints.
This will free up A,B,& C above, to get the correct game / save / ip sorted out & set up. Then when everything is as it should be, the Host tells the Vice-Host to give all the other players the word to go & the ip & whatever else is necessary to get the game going.
Walla!! A,B,& C above are left to do what ONLY they can... get the game up & running A.S.A.P. because nothing but the connection & game data is flowing thru the Host machine. And as SF has noticed*, there is a BUNCH of bits & bytes that must get transfered.
This way everybody gets linked up & going MUCH FASTER, to EVERYONE'S BENIFIT. Faster, easier, more precise in terms of the correct game file... generally more of what we'r here for & alot less of what we'r not!

So from now on, if there is 4 or more human players there must be a Vice-Host designated as the go-between for the rulers & the Host during starts & restarts. Make sense?

Whew! I feel better, hope U do too.
* FYI note:
I actually blew up the little connection monitor & watched the details; it's transfering packets of like 100k+ (!), apparently to each player... no wonder we all have to be patient!!
Old July 13, 1999, 10:49   #75
CapTVK
King

THE NEW ENGLISH TIMES: Issue 2

NO NEWS IS BAD NEWS?
Diplomatic news has been slow or not forthcoming in the last session, we explain the possible causes and some suggestions or 'rules of conduct' for the future.

(I) "KEEP THE LINES CLEAR"
Many would be or present rulers have a habit of trying to make contact with the host at the last moment while the game is 'loading'. Sometimes this is for the correct IP or some last minute question. The IP number is easily solved this information can also be obtained from the ICQ user infobox. Chitchat is for the chat room dear reader and if you have any questions ask them while the host or the 'liason' officer is still there.

(II) "PATIENCE ISN'T EASILY MASTERED"
Most of these 7-user games on large scale map are taking a while to load. That cancel button can look very appealing when nothing seems to be happening(see our also special English Civilized Psychology Journal: 'buttons in everyday life' . Resist that temptation by checking the internetconnection: if data is coming in the game is still being 'loaded' (just imagine if you're loading a C64 game on tape if your 20+, below 20 just imagine downloading a 1mb file on 28k8), so be patient and wait. If something does goes wrong on the side of the host he'll pass the message on himself or by his 'liason' officer.

(III) "BETTER TO BE SAVED THEN BE SORRY"
Everybody can have a bad line once in a while, even the host. So keep up a regular habit of saving your games should something happen. If you drop out as a player see (IV)

(IV) "IN CASE OF FAILURE: HOLD AND WAIT"
If a player drops out without prior reason it's probable he want's to get back into the game. Best solution would be to let other players wait a while so he can get back into the game. If he hasn't logged in after 5-10mins it would unfair to the others to hold up the game any longer and let the AI take care of things for a while,see (V).

(V) "Take AI as AI is"
Nobody likes his civ run by an incompetent bureaucracy and his carefully mastered plans fall into the ruin. But sometimes you have to take it as it is. Besides the AI does have an advantage here and there

Editor's note:
A liason officer would certainly improve communications between the players involved. Perhaps something for the next session...

---------------------------------------
IN OTHER NEWS:
RUSSIA IN BUREAUCRATIC TURMOIL
Since the present leader Pres. Pastiman left to ponder the future Russia seems to have aquired ideas of it's own. Goverment officials decided to construct a new wonder of the world, nothing wrong with that, in several cities! Luckily things have calmed down after a few years(turns) and the present goverment seems to handle it's construction plans quite well. "Bureaucrat's always know how to handle things to last detail" mentioned the English ambassador in Russia.

ENGLAND TRIES TO NEGOTIATE DEAL WITH RUSSIA
Before Pres. Pastiman left England had made plans for a special deal that could benefit both countries in the future. Talks have come to a standstill since Pres. Pastiman left but the English Minister of external affairs has stated that the deal is still open for discussion. He also reminded Russia that while Russia has two oceans that seperate and protect it from the rest of the world and two other powerful nations in Europe and Asia it should not choose to isolate itself from the world entirely.

JAPAN STEPS OUT OF THE LIMELIGHT...
Things have been too quiet in Japan these days. While the goverment is quite capable of handling things by itself Japan really needs a strong leader to control it's outer colonies.

AS CHINA STEPS IN...
Worldpower in being? A question we ask ourselves as China starts to complete wonders all by itself, or does it? Perhaps the Aztec(Croatian) empire has something to with it as one anonymous source informs us. This is some cause for concern because combined these nations could lead to a dramatic shift in the balance of power. In this new balance power the role of smaller nations could become of lesser concern.

SCIENCE&TECHNOLOGY ---------------------------------------

Viking/English Exchange program bears fruit...
Relations and Science improve thanks to a student exchange program set up by the ministers of Science & Education in the two nations. "We smaller nations have to work together you know.." mentioned the Viking Minister in a visit to the English capital. Possible new relations with the Vikings are set to continue into the future.

AD's

Wanted: Low bandwidth maps of the World
Other continents also wanted. Black and white or in colour as long as size is small.
Needed for illustrations in the foreign affairs section of New English Times.
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by CapTVK (edited July 13, 1999).]</font>
Old July 15, 1999, 13:55   #76
KenThur
Prince

Well said, Cap!!
Now if we can all practice what we print!?

Hopefully all our erstwhile "Rulers of the World" can be there an hour earlier as we tried last Sat.?

If nothing else, it allows us to gather in a chat room & decide on World Communications Minister ("WCM") for implementing the suggestions above.
If not, pls post or IQC a message. We WILL kickoff at exactly the regular time = 14:00 Eastern US time... with or w/out thee.

Peace & Prosperity to all those who adhere to the doctrine of, "Vikings Rule!"
Old July 17, 1999, 19:42   #77
Grau Geist
Chieftain

JAPANESE TRADE FEDERATION DAILY POST
(the format seems popular so here it goes)

Headlines: SHOGUN GRAU GEIST RETURNS TO KYOTO IN A MASSIVE CELEBRATION

In a massive show of force ruler Grau Geist returns from exile and is appointed ProConsul of the JTF immediately upon his return. Grau returned today after hearing that the Evil AI had deposed the Vice Chairman Icer in 840 AD. The Vice Chairman, who had been beheaded by the Evil AI, was left in charge by Chairman Grau in 500 AD and will be remembered for his faithful duty to the JTF. The Former Chairman Grau was pleased, upon his return, to find that the Chinese Espionage incident had been dealt with effectively by Vice Chairman Icer. His loss will be noted in the annals of history.

JTF FACES TURMOIL ABROAD AND FROM WITHIN (pg 2A)

The AI created Republic brought turmoil to the once great Communist Nation of the JTF. Upon his return, ProConsul Grau took centuries to deal with the new class structure created by the communist collapse. When asked about the new government structure Grau was quoted as saying "It Sucks and will be changed." Upon hearing of this news the ruling class began to rebel in many of the JTF outlaying cities. Consul Grau was forced to return the military to these cities in order to quell the discontent.

THE JAPANESE NATION, RESTORED, FACES WAR ON ALL FRONTS (pg 3A)

The JTF in turmoil, Consul Grau had not the time to deal effectively with the planned hand over of the Chinese City. With the punishment for the Espionage incident long since expired, the Chinese took the initiative to retake their city, before Grau could react. Greatfully the hand over went off without a hitch and the JTF was compensated for the inconvenience caused by the Chinese jump start. Peace was made and prosperity was soon to follow for both nations

Not for long though, With the Evil AI ousted from the JTF, he soon established a reign as the English High Priest. Soon after he instrumented his brother's take over of the Croatians when Vice President Icer, standing in for President SF, was called away on an important summit on Car Repairs. The English, once peaceful neighbors to the Japanese, were heard to be crying for a Jihad against their peaceful neighbors to the south. JTF border guards became alarmed as the massive English forces began to assemble on the always demilitarized English/Japanese border. ProConsul Grau, still jetlagged from his journey home was forced to deal with this potential threat.

Yet This was not the only threat at hand. With the newly appointed brother of AI in the Croatian capital, things were beginning to heat up. A defensive unit was bribed in the northern fortress to a key JTF city in South America. Action had to be taken.
Simultaneously, The evil AI upon hearing of his brother's clandestine approach began to move units into JTF territory. Luckily, the wise Consul Grau had a diplomat off the English coast in international waters, waiting for the immenant attack. Once the Croatians AI did their deed and the English AI followed with its own demand of money for a continued peace while masking their true colors with an apparent change to a similar Republic Government.

Seizing the opportunity before all was lost the Master Spy Togo was sent in to the key English city of York and instrumented a revolt. At the same time a world away, the Japanese Home Forces, restrengthened after the Bribary incident, retook the lost fortress and proceeded to cut off the Croatian staging area by taking their southern city.

Jumping the gun, The Croatian Brother AI, convincing his allies of his validity, called the Nations of the Sioux and Chinese to arms against the JTF. Though peace was finally reestablished with these nations, the JTF only managed to force a cease fire with the Croatians, and at the cost of a paper war with the Vikings. Unfortunately, the Vikings had managed to establish an alliance with the Russians, long time Allies of the JTF. The Russian Congress, with the absence of President Pastieman, forgot about the grand debt that the Russian President owed the JTF for all its help over the millenia. It proceeded to declare war on its once airtight Ally, the JTF.

Gifted Territory in the British Isles became a staging area for the Russian aggression. In the world, only the Russian Congress refused peace or a cease fire. They continue to amass troops in attacks and planned attacks on JTF trading posts. The JTF can only hope that the wise President Pastieman will receive word of the treasonous behavior in his Congress and return to quell this rebellion agaist reason.

PEASANTS AND WORKERS REJOICE AS THE RULING CLASS IS OUSTED FROM ITS POWER POSITIONS

It is learned that with recent victories the ProConsul Grau has deposed the Imperial Senate and gathered a Committee that has reistated the Socialist System for the JTF. Corruption is reported down 400%, Trade is Reported Up 400% as the JTF celebrates the contentment of its entire nation. Outlaying cities report rapid growth and restructurng following this important coup.

UPDATE: ENGLISH REVOLTS INTO MONARCY AS EVIL KING AI DECIDES ON SNEAK ATTACK AGAINST JTF.

The English, bound to a new monarchy under King AI conducted a sneak attack against JTF Home Forces outside the Capital city today. Chairman Grau, anticipating this break in the cease fire agreement has declared to the world the JTF intentions against the English Forces loyal to the evil KING AI. Coventry, a staging area for his attacks is underseige by JTF forces. The Chairman expects the forces loyal to the evil King AI will be routed soon, and is involved in talks to help implement the restoration of the true ruler CapTVK to the English Nation.

NOW PEACEFUL CHINESE USED IN IMPORTANT PEACE KEEPING MISSION.

The office of Chairman Grau reported today that the Croatian city, captured in order to force a cease fire between the Croatians and the JTF has been handed over to peackeeping forces of the CHINESE today in an unprecidented display of trust. The Chinese, allies of the Croatians has promised to manage the city until the Brother AI can be disposed of with the return of the President or Vice President of Croatia.

SILVER PROCLAIMED THE #1 COMMODITY PRODUCED BY THE JAPANESE TRADE FEDERATION

Surveys have found that the JTF is rich in the commodity of Silver. It is becoming the leading export of the JTF. 3 times as many Silver Caravans have left port cities bound for foriegn markets than any other commodity. When Asked about the growing Silver Trade Chairman Grau remarked, "Work Harder, Work Faster!"

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Grau Geist (edited July 17, 1999).]</font>
Old July 18, 1999, 07:37   #78
KenThur
Prince

Early Edition: Viking Sentinel: 940-1200AD
A most productive & FUN 250 years! Totally & completely free of sunspots, cluttered airways, & failed communications among this world's leaders!! Oh the JOY of hassle-free technology... praise be to the Gods of Stable & Fast Communications.

To those Rulers that experienced the polar opposite, of hassles & delays as chronicled previously: this world is RIGHT again & relishes the thot of all our Great Leaders rejoining the most interesting & absorbing interaction of any world contest EVER!

With much of the world ruled off & on by what seemed to be a VERY HOSTILE branch of the AI dynasty, the action & reactions during this tumultuous time period were reminiscent of the planet Earth's period during similar experiences of violent & rapid turnovers in governments & alliances.
Known there as the Coming Out of the Darks Ages into The Renaissance period between the old world & the new enlightened ages.
As the JTF has just reported & the Great Viking Dynasty, The de Milos, concur; "We are not out of the woods yet". But with return to Human reason, the aggressive House of AI will be brought under control everywhere it took control of civ's. Hopefully bringing an end to the rash sudden, mostly unprovoked border wars (of which we were also drawn into!) that swirled across our planet these centuries.

Again, a most exciting & dynamic 2+ centuries of interaction amoung the nations of this world! Without interuption!!

More details later about the Viking nations struggle as it continues to overcoming the difficulties of starting "downunder"!
Old July 19, 1999, 18:08   #79
Grau Geist
Chieftain

Japanese Trade Federation Daily Post 1320AD

THE EVIL AI IS BOOTED FROM ENGLAND WHILE THE RUSSIAN PARLIAMENT RECEIVES A SPANKING FROM ITS RETURNING PRIME MINISTER

The JTF Ministry of Defense reported today on just how close the English Nation came to destruction under the Evil King AI. Key informants reported that Japanese Home Forces were close to liberating King AI's stronghold and staging area for previous invasions into JTF land. On the other side of the Globe, after withstanding onslaughts from Russian Forces, Japanese Home Forces celebrated the return of Prime Minister Pastieman, who upon his return dismissed the parliament. Prime Minister Pastieman, when asked about the Parliament's behavior in his absence said "they deserve a good spanking"

JAPANESE TRADE FEDERATION STOCK MARKET OPENING IN KYOTO

JTF is anticipating opening its first Stock Market in the Capital city in the up and coming months. Chairman Grau has refused to speculate on further opening of such markets because of the current wartime situation. The Silver Trade has greatly benefited and opened the market as the leading commodity.

SILVER DEMAND AS HIGH AS EVER, YET CARAVANS MEET STRONG RESISTANCE?

The JTF Trade Committee is investigating reports on the disruption of the JTF Silver trade. Though Viking markets strongly welcomed Silver from the mines of Peru, the Sioux Bureaucracy has refused entry of Silver into its markets. Citing overcrowding of its marketplace the Government levied a 75% tax on imported goods to its capital. Silk exporters in the Pacific were relieved that thier goods reached the Sioux capital city prior to this levied tax. The Silver market already suffering from this setback was dealt another blow, when the Croats attacked and destroyed another Silver caravan passing through its territory. Croat officials have refused to comment on this attack. The International Trade Organization is looking into these disruptions to world trade and is considering posting a warning to its members on the risk of trading with these nations.

CROATS BREAK CEASE FIRE!!!

a decade after signing the break through cease fire agreement, the JTF was forced into war again with the Croat Republic. When asked to leave the city walls of Nagasaki the Croat Crusading General spit in the face of the Resident Home Forces Colonel, and exclaimed "Vile Pig Dog, we shall let you taste our steel in war!" China and the Sioux Nation promptly revoked their obligation to war with the JTF under Croat Alliance obligations. Foreign corespondents report a possible civil discontent growing inside the Croat nation over Brother AI's rule. The JTF Committee has expressed outright support of Brother AI's ousting and openly is calling for rebellion of the Croat people. When asked to comment, Committee Member Haikado said, "The vast Croat population will not stand for long behind an incompetant and warmongering leader... Actions will be taken to support opposition." When asked to comment further the Committee member refused to discuss specifics in the escalating war started by the Croats.

JTF TRADE SHIP SUNK ALL HANDS LOST

Croat forces sunk a JTF Trading ship loaded with cargo, settlers and defensive forces today. "The loss of those units will set back the JTF effort" Chairman Grau reported. Families have been notified and citizens have flocked to Kyoto and have sieged the Chairman's residence calling for an escalation in reprisals against the Croat military for its henious actions. The Chairman's response, "We are attempting to reduce the capacity of Brother AI's forces so when President SF returns to restore Democracy the period of unrest will be quick and painless. However, Brother AI has a large number of supporters in the Croat population and his numbers are beginning to spread like wild fires." The Committee is reportedly burning the midnight oil searching for a solution to this conflict. "We are not police officers of the world," Committee member Juko said today, "We can not expect our Home Forces to sit idley by as they are attacked by rogue units, nay can we expect them to restore order to a foreign land. A decision must be made soon to pursue a campaign against Brother AI and his forces or continue to let young Japanese men die."

CHINESE PEACEKEEPERS REMAIN FORTIFIED AS WAR BREAKS OUT AROUND THEM

The Foreign Ministry reported today that in order to help maintain the previous Cease Fire with Croatia, the JTF handed over the Captured Croat city in South America to their Allies the Chinese. When Hostilities broke out again anyway, Chairman Grau personally asked for the Chinese to relinquish control of the city. Upon their refusal stating Alliance obligations, Chairman Grau offered, "well at least it appears that with the Chinese as a buffer the southern territories will be safe from a lightning assault by the Croats." When asked if the Chinese neutrality should include warning the JTF of Croat attackers passing the buffer city, the Chairman's response "we expect the Chinese to show us curtesy in this matter, as they were invited into our land. Past transgressions aside, the Chinese will be expected to do their part against the warmongering Brother AI."

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Grau Geist (edited July 19, 1999).]</font>
Old July 19, 1999, 22:18   #80
Colon™
Emperor

After the revolution in the Sioux empire and the reform into a republic it was hoped that an age of prosperity and stability would follow, also that the empire would take it's rightfull place between the great powers of the world.
The republic, untill now, has been a partial succes.
Trade has grown substantially, new trade routes between the Sioux Republic and it's neighbours were esthablished, new roads were build and the capital Bangalore became one of the worlds biggest trade cities.
The downside however is that a large part of the profit of that trade is used to buy luxeries, which often aren't produced in the empire, rather then investing it in productive purposes.
But enough gold was made to build new marketplaces, temples, a new courthouse in Basra and a new Bank in Bangalore.
The Republican goverment succeeded in building a strong and healthy economy, now it will use the profits to secure the future of the country by investing in new libraries and a new university in Bangalore.
The modernisation of the military was also succesful, the Sioux can say with pride that each of their cities is defended with atleast one musketeer. The offensive capabilities remain low however.

While the Republic was very succesful in stimulating trade (#2 in the world) it clearly lagged behind in increasing production in which it takes the 6th place.
The population, altough it grew, is relative to the rest of the world, lower then ever taking a 7th place. Luckily it seems it will rise soon, having the fastest population growth of all.

It's a rather mixed picture at the home front.
At world stage contructive and friendly relations were build and as said before, new trade routes were esthablished and stability ruled.

One worrying factor at international stage however is the Croatian empire, which has fallen prey on constant revolutions and contrarevolutions, after the democracy was replaced by a republic, the monarchists surprisingly captured power, which was fallowed by another republican revolt etc..
To make it even worse, independent generals and governors provoced several wars with Japan after centuries of peace.

It probably was a wise decision of the Sioux to avoid contact with them for a while, untill a stable goverment has been esthablished.

The Sioux do not condemn Japan for taking preventive actions, such as creating buffer zones in Croatian territory, as long the territories are returned after stability returned in Croatia.
Old July 20, 1999, 09:58   #81
CapTVK
King

The New English Times: issue 3

AI ADMINISTRATOR FOULS UP RELATIONS!
Relations with the JTF turned sour as the AI administrator tried to set his own agenda. Reinstating the monarchy was it's first task and it started to move military units towards to our close neighbour and eternal ally the Japanese. Perhaps it was planning to threaten the JTF into yielding territory our cancel the alliance, but the JTF chose too react to this agression. It still remains unclear what the administrator exactly was up to. The AI administrator was removed from office when our present leader CapTVK returned from leave. "It will take some time to put things in order so military rule may be necessary before we return to democracy..." mentioned CapTVK.

EXPANSION OF AZTEC(CROAT) EMPIRE CONTINUES
Pressure keeps mounting as the Aztec expansion reaches the mediterrean and starts making demands on the English. Officials remain wary on what to do as the dreaded 'sandwich' scenario predicted by military advisors comes true. Pressed between the Aztec up north and our Japanese allies in the south there remains little room for manoeuvre. England isn't the only one with trouble with the Aztec's. Aztec agression and expansion in S.America has started to worry the JTF too.

RELATIONS WITH JTF RETURN TO NORMAL
After intense diplomatic discussion Japan returns the city of York. England promises to support actions of the JTF in return.

RUSSIA'S LEADER RETURNS
Russia is once again under control of their favourite leader Pastiman. England hopes to keep good relations with the Russians and advises them to take a larger role in world affairs.

ENGLISH CARAVAN JUST IN TIME
An English caravan arrives just in time as the Sioux close their border for trade. Having the colossus in of their largest cities (Bangalore) always made the Sioux a favourite trading partner for caravans all around the world. What the real reason for this trade embargo could be remains unclear. English economists don't buy this 'luxuries' argument as trade benefits all parties involved.

----------------------------
Science&Technology
----------------------------
ROYAL OBSERVATORY OPENS IN LONDON
The observatory opens it's doors to the public today. Several scientists and a few lucky amateur astronomists have already been inside last week. "A boon for astronomy and science" mentioned a well known scientist. Several new discoveries have already been made.

Old July 20, 1999, 11:02   #82
Colon™
Emperor

Official goverment statement considering trade with Bangalore:

Confusion has risen over this, some even said there was an embargo, which is totaly untrue.
What was the decision ?
The decision was that all direct cash earned by esthablishing trade routes with Bangalore should we handed over to the Sioux Republic as fee for the esthabishing.
Why was decision taken ?
Because of the reason that Bangalore does not need anymore goods and because of the reason no Sioux merchants are available.
We cannot gain anything from these trade routes while the other side gains a lot, direct cash and extra trade in it's home city.
It's only reasonable and logical that the Sioux Republic requests a fee for the services offered.
Old July 20, 1999, 16:35   #83
Pastieman
Settler

Comrades,
As noted by my honorouble allies and associates, the Russian Govt. has faced and dealt with several rumblings of discontent.
Primarily, after technical diffuculties, Pastiman has been replaced by Pastieman II. To avoid confusion the younger and more astute heir has vowed to maintain technical information, mainly the ICQ address in pursuit of the great Russian civilisation's quest for world order.

Pastieman II has been quoted as saying that "Although a stronger new horse enters the stables, all stablehands and riders will be treated in a manner that was befiiting to my predeccessor."

After a call for Russia to take a more active part in world affairs by the Honoruble consul of the English, the continued aggression toward our eternal allies the JTF, and general aggresive expansion of certain nations, the Russians are commited to aid any ally in trouble, and will not hesitate to take the initiative against dishonourable nations.
The Russian Govt. is now under a stable Communist committtee, which has appeased socialist factions and quitened the wooly minded liberals that would run us into the ground and alienate our allies.
Be warned, the military benefits of the new Communist state added with the greatest wonder in the entire world, namely Leornado's Workshop make us a far stronger nation than in previous generations. We would hope that our eternal allies the Japenese will continue their aid in other areas, and in return their military shall be granted the same benefits that bestow our great nation.

All hail Pastieman II,
fear those that resist the great Allies of our heroic nation.
Old July 21, 1999, 00:32   #84
Grau Geist
Chieftain

JAPANESE TRADE FEDERATION DAILY POST (MIDNIGHT EDITION)

JTF COMMITTEE FOR IMPORTS AND EXPORTS APPROVES THE 75% TARRIFF DEAL WITH SIOUX

The Committee for Imports and Exports today agreed that the cost to continue moving the Silver caravan in Sioux Territory to Beijing would be too great. In a marginal victory, Committee members decided to continue the Silver caravan to Banglore despite the 75% tarriff imposed on the profits. It is believed that the committee was shocked to learn that while the JTF was reaping great profits from the trade, the Sioux citizens were suffering in poverty and stagnation. "It is going to be better for both nations if this trade route is established, the Silver Merchants will still make 25% profit probably @ 100 gold from this deal. The Japanese Government will more than compensate further ventures by these Merchants for their sacrifice," Trade Commissioner Goto remarked.

RUMBLINGS IN ASIA HEARD AROUND THE WORLD

Our Foreign Correspondant in Asia has come across shocking information on apparent border disputes in Asia. The Sioux, Chinese and Viking border appears unstable as frontier settlers from the three nations jockey for the last open land in Asia. JTF officials were accidentally informed of the problems brewing when this foreign postal service misdirected mail to our Ambassador's residence of that country. When asked to comment on the development Chairman Grau said, "We are rebuilding relations with all three nations involved in this apparent dispute. Therefore, we will not force ourselves to choose sides if conflict develops. However, we will gladly act as mediators in any land dispute that develops." When asked to comment on the possible use of Peacekeeping Troops that are known to be located in the region, Chairman Grau refused to comment.

MOST FAVORED NATION STATUS GRANTED

Review of current trade routes shows that the Vikings currently are the most favorite nation that the JTF Merchants choose to do business with. "The distance separating our nations and our powerful and fast Merchant Fleet help make trading with Viking marketplaces very profitable," one local merchant observed. When asked to comment on the faster ships provided to the merchants by the government, one local merchantman sailor agreed, "They're Great!! 0-20 kts in 5 minutes on a good day!!" What more can we say?

PRO DEMOCRACY MOVEMENT FALLS SHORT OF EXPECTATIONS

A pro Democracy movement was held in Kyoto Square today, organizers had hoped for 20,000 demostrators calling for a Democratic government and the freedom to go along with it. When only 20 people showed up, police re-opened the square for morning traffic. When asked to comment on the movement's low turn out Chairman Grau observed, "well I guess there are not enough discontented citizens, I suppose that means we are all doing our part for the common good." In fact the history of the JTF has never seen so many content citizens. With corruption at an all time low, construction on the rise and newer markets opening up, the jobless rate has dropped to 0%. The success of the JTF system has brought worldwide attention, "Our Russian Allies are considering elminating their troublesome parliament and instituting a Socialist Committee, we have even heard discussions of Pro Communist demostrations organizing in other discontented nations" a Committee member remarked. One traveler returning from business abroad reported, I just returned from a city in Croatia, the people there are discontent, corruption is rampant and the Government is doing nothing to help its people, only to build up its military." I suppose we will have to watch and see what develops.
Old July 22, 1999, 00:18   #85
KenThur
Prince

The Viking Sentinel: 940-1320AD Issue

Another outstanding several centuries of solid civ building, alot of trading, & alittle warring!

The lowly Viking civ, though making progress, still can't make it out of the "Power Graph" cellar. Of course experienced rulers know, there is more to a civ than "power" as defined by that graph.

Summarizing the Viking highpoints::
>> early in the 1000's we completed the long voyage across the Pacific with our caravel full to the balwarks with caravans. Our friends the Russians (unfortunately ruled at this time by the mindless AI dynasty) greeted us with openness, but did not help speed the caravans to their destinations as we had planned. However, our silk caravan from our capital in southern Australia to Moscow, in mid-America set what has to be this WORLD's RECORD Trade Route! 720 gold!!! The other 2 caravans also achieved spectacular bonuses although taking MUCH longer to reach their destinations due to the poor Russian road system. (when will the stupid AI ever learn to connect cities?!)

>> with this & other trading bonus gold we were able to help finance our new friends the Sioux, led by the very capable Consul Colon & the English, being rebuilt by the courageous CapTVK. In return they were willing to share their tech advances with our slow, undeveloped Science Ministry. We hereby publicly thank & commend the greatness of these 2 enlightened leaders. The spirit & satisfaction of diplomacy rather than war was enjoyed by all, as these exchanges were truly Win-Win!

>> as for our neighbors to the north, the Chinese, once again ruled by their rightful human ruler, Consul Geronimo; we made some strides to become closer friends & even formed an official alliance, along with the Great Colon of the Sioux. However, after exchanging some gold & tech we seemed to run into an impasse' on further exchanges & then suddenly, we were longer allied!?
Soon after, in the late 1200's, they started questioning why we lowly Vikings had a border sentry stationed at the end of the Yellow River valley. I reminded him of the borders established centuries ago during the reign of the AI in China & their war with the JTF brought on by the Chinese tech theft from a JTF city. And how frankly, this was as much to prevent the further incursion into Asian continent by the very expansionist Japs, as it was to claim undeveloped territories.
Please sire Geronimo, read the history posted herein of this world. To that I would add, please look at the map of our world. The Chinese civ has 100's of squares to it's north to develop. Full of rich forests & pheasants+yaks & silk to your northeast. With the coming of the railroads these will be some of the most productive lands on the planet!! Then look at what we, the lowly Vikings have to develop; a few jungle-covered islands? Some isolated Gobi desert squares that require dozens of squares to be irrigated just to support life. Or maybe U desire we populate the Antarctic? Why do even begin to challenge our right & claim to a dozen or so undeveloped squares between us?
We feel very strongly about this; it is matter of survival to us, but merely a matter of pride or one-upmanship to the large Chinese civ. Or could it be the undue influence of this world largest power & your primary benefactor, that motivates this change of heart & unreasonable concern over the weak Vikings to your south, with all of 9 cities to your 15+?

>> As for the Aztec/Croats, HOW DO THEY DO IT? Even after (or because of?) all the centuries of AI (with a short reign by the very capable ICER) rule they are STILL the most powerful civ!!??

>> our relations with the JTF continue to be good & mutually beneficial. Over these centuries we have done a number of trades. This, despite being the subject of a paper war by them to appease some aggressive AI dynasty somewhere. The newly-returned-to-power, Shogun GG the Fair, made amends & we accepted a Peace Treaty from them again. We do have a growing problem with the colonization of the islands on the far side of the planet from the Japanese homeland. We, the nations of eastern Asia & the western Pacific, are beginning to feel these have become a threat to our back side. And they HAVE BEEN used a the base of an invasion of the mainland. In the future sessions, we must begin to discuss the exchanging or sale of these far-flung colonies of yours in the light of this world's middle ages reality & the growth of nationalistic pride & the shrinking of the available lands to develop.
Old July 23, 1999, 18:12   #86
SmartFart
King

ok. am in again. woo hooo guys...one session i turned my back and find you now capturing my cities ...hehehe.

WANTED !!!

-city with SoL for 1 turn.

capTvk may name his price

sf
Old July 24, 1999, 21:40   #87
Colon™
Emperor

SF, I seriously doubt the realism level of that move.
Old July 25, 1999, 17:33   #88
SmartFart
King

WORLD WAR 1

sf

p.s. am gonna behead the beast now
Old July 25, 1999, 19:08   #89
Grau Geist
Chieftain

SF? are we to assume that is all the Croats have to say, riddles and suggestions to some unrelated title? look for morning news edition of Japanese Trade Federation Daily Post
Old July 26, 1999, 05:30   #90
KenThur
Prince

Viking Sentinel: 1320-1420AD under the popularily elected administration of President Vik de Milo, our man in the capital.

Another eventful period on our planet of swirling alliances & changing leaders!
Unfortunately this session got off to a late start, not because of technology this time but bad old tartiness on the part of several major leaders(!). Altho the pre-game banter was fun & we were able to decide to gang up on those that were delaying the start.
Serves'm right! Maybe next time they will be on time?!

The News:
We Vik's welcomed the return of the Pasti family dynasty to their rightful & reasonable position as Russia's leaders. We made good progress in catching up to the pre-AI period of irrational behavior. Our gold arrived just in time to help them & the use of their wonderful workshop arrived just in time for us to protect ourselves from of all things - restless peasants(!) As well as modernize our fleet of aging & slow carvals so we can continue spreading the wealth of our well-developed cities to their other friends' far away civ's. Hear-Here! Let's hear it for the cooperation of 2 great democracies working together!!

In the absence of enlightened leadership at the helm of our allies & neighbors the Sioux, we did little or nothing to change the status quo.

Again we had little to do with the scrappy little English civ & their fearless leader CapTVK. Since we are in totally different parts of this world & they had more than enough on their hands. What with taking on the abusive AI dynasty of the all(too) powderful Aztecs, we maintained our distance & neutrality.

The Chinese & we had our differences, again. In fact & despite of very logical & compelling reasons for the island-bound Vikings to be the civ to develop the central mainland of eastern Asia, the Chinese had the audascity to move down a settler & build a village directly next to our northern border guard!! Here we, the peace-loving Vikings, thoght that he was building a road in order to link our 2 civ's in trade?
Then the presumptuous President Geronimo invites us to join in an alliance!? When asked why, his response was "We are not afraid of anything except being back-stabbed". Well my rising-power neighbor to the north, that could mean only 2 things:
1 > that as rumored, you are in deep mutual support of the powerful Aztecs, even when they are under the control of the AI &
2 > that you consider us as potential "back-stabbers"!?

Well, Mr. President Geron, right here in front of the entire world we will make it clear. The Viking people strongly suggest that you dismantle or sell the city you just built in our face. We cannot allow this aggressive expansion against our only area left. As has been ponted out here in public before, the Chinese have dozens of parcels of untouched & undesputed squares to expand into north of their many cities! If you choose the latter path, we will compensate you in gold for the expense you have incurred thus far in building this provocative village.
As for the "back-stabber" inference the Viking people want an apology or public assurance that you were NOT referring to our honorable civ & it's straightforth President.

The JFT led by it's extremely enlightened & wise Comrade GG continues to make win-win trades & deals with our fine, well-devoloped Viking ecomony. The Phillipine city is still an abnormal situation as viewed from the entirity of the planet's rational divisions. However, for now they have proved themselves to be trustworthy partners & we have the Chinese situation that needs to be cleared up first. We continue to acknowledge publically the debt of graditude we owe these fine peoples & hope to repay them soon for their aid over the centuries.

As for the Aztec/Croats, what can one say about the still most powerful civ on this planet? They did start alot of trouble while under the aggressive AI & they seem to be reaping a little of what they sowed. We have nothing personal against their fine & fun human ruler, King(is it now?) S'Fart. However we admit to relief in seeing the powergraph at the end of this century finally show a downturn in what had been an almost straight up explosion in power for this civ, with or without SF's direct input.

All & all another short but exciting century. Our only regret is that we cannot do it more often.