Old May 15, 2001, 08:37   #95
cbn
Prince

Local Time: 04:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
2187 to the cyborgs

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Cbn sent an open message to the Cult.

" Honored Cha Dawn. You have ignored all attempts at communication through normal diplomatic channels. I am forced to this attempt to communicate over the open airways even though I have no way of knowing in this message will reach you.

I acknowledge that your military is unsurpassed but I fail to see the purpose of your small raids on my lands. In the last year, 1 secret agent and two military units were interdicted upon entering lands of the Hive. Also two units attacking our allies, the morgans, were destroyed. I understand that ced and hobbes are likewise destroying your units as they filter into their lands.

Surely the futility of fighting 3 or 4 factions by sending lone units at each of us must be becoming apparent to you. We implore you to seek Planet through the ways of peace rather than this unholy jihad on which you seem to be embarked. If you do not we will raise an army and take this war to your lands. If one more Cult unit enters the homeland of the Hive we vow to strike back with all the force available to us. I ask the people of the Cult to influence their leaders to end this futile war."

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The emporer slumped back in his chair, waited for the vidcomm crew to leave and then turned to his most trusted advisers.

" Do any of you think that this message will have any effect"

"It is unlikely, your majesty, as our intelligence reports that comm jammers were activated throughout the Cult empire seconds before the broadcast began. The Cult population had no opportunity to hear your words"

Cbn turned and sighed, "Very well, it looks like we will have to continue to fight. General, what is the military situation"

The general pointed to the map, " As you can see our core lands are actually fairly distant from the Cult lands making effective attacks by either side difficult. While intelligence on the Cult is incomplete, we know thay have the largest standing army on Planet and are currently at war with several factions. We have benefited from the division of their forces. Frankly, we are winning the war tactically since Cha is wasting his army by sending units at us alone and with no reinforcement. Unit after unit from the cult walks into the same prepared ambush as the unit before. However, if attacked in force . . . ."

Cbn thought for a moment " has a major Cult invasion been identified?"

"NO sire, we have no evidence of that. Instead they seem to be sending small numbers of units to harrass us, Morgan,Ced and Hobbes. WE are vigously patrolling our frontiers with the Cult and see no evidence of anything other than single unit commando raids"

" In that case, I will defer any increases to the northern forces but I will attempt to obtain empath weapons. I've read what these mindworms do and find it most barbaric."

[This message has been edited by cbn (edited May 15, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by cbn (edited May 15, 2001).]
Old May 15, 2001, 09:50   #96
Cedronian
Prince

Local Time: 09:10
MY2187 sent to Zaphod.

Ced.
Old May 15, 2001, 17:10   #97
H0bbes
Emperor

Local Time: 10:10
Much celebration following the completion of the Virtual World SP and the establishment of our northern outpost Borealis.

Turned to CBN.

Hobbes.
[This message has been edited by H0bbes (edited May 15, 2001).]
Old May 15, 2001, 22:19   #98
cbn
Prince

Turn 2188 to ced

Oh and congratulations on the VW!! Man it is so much tougher to get the projects in MP as compared to playing single-player.
[This message has been edited by cbn (edited May 16, 2001).]
Old May 16, 2001, 08:23   #99
Cedronian
Prince

MY2188 sent to Zaphod.

Congratulations on finishing the VW and on settling the new base. Watch out for the Cult up there though.

Ced.
Old May 16, 2001, 18:36   #100
H0bbes
Emperor

2189 on to CBN.

Hobbes.
Old May 16, 2001, 21:31   #101
cbn
Prince

Turn 2189 to the cyborgs
Old May 17, 2001, 14:35   #102
Cedronian
Prince

MY2189 sent to Zaphod.

Oh and congratulations to Emperor cbn for snagging the lead in the PowerGraph

Ced.
Old May 17, 2001, 15:32   #103
cbn
Prince

Thanks I guess. I had not noticed and do not put much stock in the powergraph in any event. I guess my new base in the nexus put me over the top LOL. If I could get the lead in population, now that would be a happy day.
[This message has been edited by cbn (edited May 17, 2001).]
Old May 17, 2001, 17:31   #104
H0bbes
Emperor

On to CBN.

Hobbes.
Old May 17, 2001, 20:49   #105
cbn
Prince

2190 to ced
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Emporer cbn addressed the workers of the Hive

"I am pleased to unveil The Cloudbase Academy as the latest wonder of the Hive civilization. In this facility we will train the elite pilots and scientists needed to lead Planet back into space. Our engineers are already contemplating satellites that might feed and provide energy to our populace. With this accomplishment we shall lead the way in the race into space and take our rightful place among the the foremost nations on Planet"

------------------------------------------------------------------
Old May 18, 2001, 22:53   #106
Zaphod
Warlord

Local Time: 03:10
The latest news from Spartan Public Radio:

The recent surprise victory of the Green Party in parliamentary elections has forced Colonel Zaphod to include them in his ruling coalition. This dramatic turn of events has shocked the ruling elites in Sparta Command and is sure to have far-reaching effects on the entire Spartan Federation, and on Planet as a whole.

In other news, our pledge drive has fallen short of our goal. Please send your tax-free contribution now...

....hold on we're getting an urgent news flash....

The latest news from our correspondent in Sparta Command is that Colonel Zaphod will be holding an emergency press conference at 21:00 this evening to announce stronger ties with the Cult of Planet. This policy will have the immediate consequence of drawing us into the ongoing war between the Cultists and their enemies. In response to this news the Octagon has gone to high alert and the reservists are being put on active duty. At this point we have no more information, but please stay tuned and we'll keep you updated...
Old May 19, 2001, 00:39   #107
Cedronian
Prince

MY2190 sent to Zaphod.

Congratulations on building the Cloudbase Academy cbn

Ced.
Old May 19, 2001, 07:30   #108
cbn
Prince

I am anxious to see this turn to figure out what the heck is going on

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
" Emporer wake up!"

Cbn awoke with a start to see his aide standing over him. "What is it?"

" War sire, war. We are not yet sure of what is going on but we understand that Zaphod has declared war on a bunch of factions saying they need to protect their friends the Cult"

"Well did they declare war on us? I thought we were friends. We only defended ourselves against the cult. ANSWER ME !! ARE WE AT WAR WITH THE SPARTANS ?"

"I do not know sire. Reports are sketchy and our intelligence service was apparently caught unawares. The only intelligence they have is a transcript of a Spartan transmission"

" What ?? After all the fuding we put into intelligence services. Sack Smythe and put Kang in place as head of intelligence services. Put all the military on full alert on all frontiers. Patrols everywhere. You are authorized to overfly outside our territory on all sides with rules of engagment code yellow. It is not yet war for sure and until it is, NO ONE fires unless weapons are trained upon them. In the meantime, contact the frontier for a status report"

" we have tried sire but the commlink won't link with them. We keep getting a cryptic message that we can communicate with our units and find out our true status when it is "our turn". Our experts think there is a computer virus and suspect sabotage. "

" So for now we can only rely upon the communications of other leaders and whatever we can gain over the public comm channels"

"Yes sire -- until is our turn"

" Very well. There is little I can do at the moment but wake me when contact is established with our units in the frontier.
Old May 19, 2001, 18:57   #109
H0bbes
Emperor

Well, well, well. To side with the barbaric fungus lovers. How disgusting. A Vendetta upon Sparta as well then.

Turned to CBN.

Hobbes.
Old May 20, 2001, 01:15   #110
cbn
Prince

2191 to the cyborgs
-----------------------

Cbn adressed his council of ministers. " After careful consideration it was determined that we cannot stand idly by while the fate of the world is determined. We shall stand alongside the Spartans. Although we differ with the cultists we share the Spartans fear of the spreading cyborg threat. We now have proof that the cyborgs are performing the most barbaric experiments upon their people. These attempts to meld man and machine are a revolting example of the practices that should be curtailed. While we do not have as strong feelings on the issue as others we do believe in the sanctity of humankind and therefore support the initiative against the cyborgs"

" But emporer, are we not also now at war with the Pirates?"

" yes unfortunately the automatic systems declared vendetta on them at the same time as the Cyborgs. However we have no quarrel with the Pirates and do not wish to war with them. They share our distaste for the cult and we have no contentious boundary issues-- they are a most pleasant people actually. I see no reason for us to war upon one another even though we each may have disputes with the other's allies. A message will be sent to their leader to this effect.

In the meantime send in recon force Alpha to probe the strength of the cyborg defenses"

Old May 20, 2001, 05:37   #111
Cedronian
Prince

Utterly disgusting, thatīs all I have to say. Hopefully, the Citizens Defence Force will help somewhat in our defence, if it doesnīt fall in the hands of the heinous Hive.

Morgan too decided that these transgressions against the peaceful Cyborgs were horrific and is now aiding the Cyborg cause against cbn and his mindless minions.

I call for all other faction leaders to continue their vendetta against the two bullies who think that they can get away with such foul dealings.

MY2191 sent to the treacherous Spartans.

Ced.
Old May 20, 2001, 17:14   #112
H0bbes
Emperor

On to CBN.

Hobbes.
Old May 20, 2001, 18:37   #113
cbn
Prince

2192 to the cyborgs

------------------------------

CBN read the military reports. Epsilon had fallen in 2191 while in 2192 there had been successful captures of Upsilon Depot, Omicrom Quadrangle and Psi Conciousness. That final capture was particularly critical as it housed the Weather Paradigm, The Planetary Transit System and the Citizens Defense Force. Projections indicated that it was likely that a pitched battle would ensue for the Hive to retain these gains but the generals were confident that they could win the day despite some possible temporary losses. The Spartans attacks were going well in the west and cbn looked forward to the end of war and the peace that would follow.
Old May 22, 2001, 06:05   #114
Cedronian
Prince

MY2192 sent to the Spartans. Sorry for the slight delay, my connection to my ISP was down last night.

Ced.

(Now, letīs see...where is the "Post" button on this new board system..hmm)
Old May 22, 2001, 08:49   #115
cbn
Prince

ced were you always listed as joining apolyton in 1970 ? Impressive feat given the state of the internet at that time LOL.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yang looked at his advisers " Is there any news from the front?"

" Sire we have been informed that the cyborgs have made their moves but we have absolutely no information as to the result of their actions."

" It was quiet for too long. This can only mean that the cyborgs are planning a massive response. For all we know they may have captured back their bases. Send out a message to all troops seeking further information. We need to know what is going on."
Old May 22, 2001, 14:43   #116
cbn
Prince

Just to let you know that I will be out of town (leaving on the 24th and returning on the 26th)-- I should be able to play on both the 24th (very early) and the 26th (very late )so I do not propose to get a replacement . If I play on the 24th it might be that I do not hold things up at all.
Old May 22, 2001, 21:10   #117
H0bbes
Emperor

Turned to CBN.

Question: how do I get one of those little pictures next to my name?

Hobbes.
Old May 23, 2001, 07:53   #118
cbn
Prince

Hobbes

Just look in the faq and there is one entitled "How do I get a picture beneath by username?". I clicked on that and it takes to 100 possible icons to use (I think they are all from CIV2 and CTP)--I decided to use the paratrooper since it seems apt given the effect that drop troops are having on the cyborg empire.

2193 to ced

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CBN addressed his people

" I am pleased to announce another military success as Pi Lumiere has been liberated from the half-machines. As well, spontaneous celebrations have occurred in other recently liberated towns as the people realize they are no longer under cybernetic control and embrace the governance of the Hive. We have a task force primed to liberate Alpha Prime and expect to do so by 2195.

My people, I know that this crusade for humanity has required sacrifice and dedication. Many of you have lost family members and friends in the battles, I myself lost a nephew. But you should know that these sacrifices were necessary for the protection of our way of life. Onward to victory !!!"
Old May 23, 2001, 11:37   #119
Cedronian
Prince

MY2193 sent to Zaphod.

cbn: No I havenīt always been listed as "registered in 1970". That happened after the upgrade of the forum. Before that I was listed as "before 1999" or something like that. The "registered in"-thing doesnīt go any further back than that.

Ced.
Old May 23, 2001, 13:08   #120
cbn
Prince

They have now added SMAC icons (but I think I will stick with the paradropped for now).

ced-- I actually notice now that your date moved from january 1970 to december 1969 -- weird huh?