Old May 20, 1999, 04:15   #1
Freddz
Prince

Local Time: 08:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A criticism and a suggestion to the threadmasters
I have glanced in a few of the threads.

Some of you support or do not support suggestions pretty strongly. That was not the idea. The final list can't be affected of what the threadmaster or in what a couple of people in the thread thinks thinks, but only on which suggestions has arrived. Firaxis is intelligent enough to sort out the lists on their own. A longer list is better in this case. If you do want to have your point of view there, or point out which ideas have good support, do so. But don't exclude by personal taste.

This is especially important since I haven't seen a radical ideas list pop up in here. The most important list is missing in my view.

Dan or Mark, sorry to clutter up in here but I thought this was the right place to post it. Feel free to close down this thread after a day or two(like I could have stopped you ).
Old May 20, 1999, 04:20   #2
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 04:16
Freddz is absolutely right, of course. The Thread Masters CANNOT shoot ideas down. This is just the idea gathering phase. I'd better put the Thread Master's Creed up over here just so we can agree on our approach.

Also, Freddz, I invited the 'radical' thread over here, but no response (and you don't want to be a Thread Master), so can you maybe recruit somebody and have him contact me? Thanks.

------------------
CIV3 DEVELOPMENT LIST COORDINATOR

**(un)Officially Making Lists for Firaxis Since SMAC Enhancement 3!**
Old May 20, 1999, 04:51   #3
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Freddz,

I have reposted the Thread Master's Creed. I think that should help us focus again. Thanks for the reminder.

------------------
CIV3 DEVELOPMENT LIST COORDINATOR

**(un)Officially Making Lists for Firaxis Since SMAC Enhancement 3!**
Old May 20, 1999, 06:59   #4
Freddz
Prince

Yin,

Thanks... I don't know if this has been decided but,

We need an idea(just a general idea)in what timespan the game should be. I don't see too many sci-fi suggestions sofar, and I would guess that lots more would be here if we knew the game would extend to say - about 3000 A.D. Perhaps we need a brainstorming Sci-fi thread too as that can pretty much get out of hand.

I would suggest a discussion thread, a vote by Mark and Dan, or possibly if you could squeeze out a clue from Brian

This is the time to have this info
Old May 20, 1999, 07:15   #5
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Freddz,

Let me try to squeeze a clue out of Brian...wish me luck.
Old May 20, 1999, 07:23   #6
Freddz
Prince

Lol Great, gl man.
Old May 20, 1999, 08:12   #7
zaz
Warlord

Local Time: 03:16
I have another suggestion Yin. Now that the patch is out and I have read CD's comments about it, all positive except for the units.txt . I think everyone involved here, (you and the threadmasters) need to make sure that you play the game now, and see what Activision has done, to help guide this forum using a knowledge base of all Civ games. CTP does have alot of good ideas, even if some weren't implemented correctly, that we can use.
Old May 20, 1999, 08:19   #8
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

zaz,

Well put. I agree 100%. If I weren't so damn busy right now, I'd be playing CtP.
Old May 20, 1999, 08:28   #9
zaz
Warlord

Yes, it does seem you are here all day.
Old May 20, 1999, 10:38   #10
the Octopus
Warlord

"Some of you support or do not support suggestions pretty strongly. That was not the idea."

I'm not sure this is true, as long as a thread master can keep his or her personal feelings separate from the actual compilation of the list (and hopefully make that clear to the discussion participants). For example, I disagree with Bell's suggestion about "prerequisite points" in the Technology thread, but I fully intend to keep it in the summaries and final list, unless there is overwhelming feeling against it by other posters. I think it's perfectly valid for me to take part in the discussion, though.

From what I have read of the different threads so far, it seems as if all of the Thread Masters have a different "style" to the way they are doing what they are doing. I don't think anyone should be afraid of giving specific criticism (as long as it is constructive) or naming names if they feel a specific Thread Master is doing something "wrong", as long as it is in the interest of improving the process. Since we are all doing things differently, I'm sure that some people will prefer one method over another. I think all Thread Masters would agree with me when I say that if I am doing something wrong or I could do something better, I want to find out about it ASAP.

If anyone has a specific suggestions or criticism and wants to be more anonymous about it, I'm sure that yin will be willing to post/e-mail it for you without revealing your name.

------------------
CIV3-THE MASTER LIST-TECHNOLOGY "THREAD MASTER"
Old May 20, 1999, 10:43   #11
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

the Octopus is right on with his comments.

If somebody has a problem with me (the cheats thread), just post it. I have a thick skin, and I want to know if I'm doing things wrong.
The whole idea here is to help them build a better game. So if we aren't doing a good job, just tell us... but also tell us how we can do it better.
Old May 20, 1999, 10:51   #12
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Well, there we have it. Please just tell the Thread Masters what you think about how they are running their topics. It sounds like they would like the feedback anyway. And, as the Octopus has noted, I would be more than happy to pass on your comments anonymously if you prefer. But these guys would be happy to hear any constructive criticism. The same goes for me.
Old May 20, 1999, 10:54   #13
Freddz
Prince

Octopus and Ming and all thread masters,

you're doing a great job. Yes, surprise, I agree with your points too.

But the deal is constructive critisism, and that is especially important for a threadmaster or you are going to scare people away from posting their ideas. Some wild ideas can bring out something more balanced great other idea. So keep all ideas in and keep critisism careful as a threadmaster. I posted this because I saw a strong tendency in a few of the threads and my immediate reaction to that was that the threadmasters were not going to include the ideas. If I thought that, others surely will and won't post ideas at all because of the risk of looking stupid. And that is a sure and known idea-killer in a BRAINSTORMING PHASE

I see no reason to mention any names, I'm just to serve as a reminder of the original purpose.

Keep up the good work
Old May 20, 1999, 13:11   #14
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

As far as I know, its all roght to add you own ideas, just dont block anyone else's from BR's eyes, or use what little power we have to ridicule/downplay other people's ideas.

------------------
"I think you're all f*cked in the head!"
Chevy Chase-Nat'l Lampoon's Vacation.