Old June 22, 1999, 08:53   #1
Stephen Lee FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 08:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Official Civilization III Wish List @ Firaxis.com
Just a reminder... in order to centralize everything and have the most exposure to a project such as this, the List will be completely moved, after the first edition here at Apolyton, to

http://www.firaxis.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi

Hope to see you there. Thanx again!
Old June 22, 1999, 10:58   #2
Theben
Deity

Local Time: 04:20
Any idea when the move date is?
Old June 22, 1999, 11:49   #3
NotLikeTea
Warlord

How "clean" will it be? Here at Apolyton it is oriented to be only official threads, with others shut down.. does the same apply for the Firaxis site, or will all threads always be left open.
Old June 22, 1999, 20:02   #4
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Some clarification (I just posted some of this in another thread here):

Many Thread Masters here have expressed their desire to continue their work only at Apolyton. For that and other reasons, the process at Firaxis was started from the beginning, though some Thread Masters here might well become Thread "Managers" (yes, we changed the name) over there as well.

Does this mean that two lists will be developed? Yes and no. Two lists will be developed, but the plan as of now is to combine both lists in a cooperative effort. Basically, there is no reason to force people to either site. Each site has a distinctive flavor, and people will make their homes where they will.

The List developed here is and will always be "The Apolyton List." The current proposal, however, is to post it on the Firaxis site at some point as well, perhaps soon after its "release" on the Apolyton site. That decision, of course, is up to Mark and Dan.

But here's another important point of clarification: The two sites are NOT in some kind of political battle or something silly like that. Stephen, Mark, and Dan all agree that, at the very least, if two lists continue to be made, they should be combined into one.

In other words, if people prefer one site or the other, they should continue posting there and not repeat ideas elsewhere. The ideas will be combined if all goes as planned. That's about the only 'request' we could make.

As for how "clean" the Firaxis site is, it will have a slightly different approach. Check it in a day or two and see what you think. In the meantime, great ideas will continue on here at Apolyton. Like always.

<font size=1 color=444444>[This message has been edited by yin26 (edited June 23, 1999).]</font>
Old June 23, 1999, 06:07   #5
NotLikeTea
Warlord

OK.. I think I get this now

So, there will be two sites to post comments, but the two lists may be combined into one. Does that mean that v3.0 of the lists here will contain comments made on the Firaxis boards? Or will the combination only be made in the final stages?

Bah.. I'll just post to both sites, just in case.. plus, twice the fun!
Old June 24, 1999, 04:37   #6
Narck
Emperor

Local Time: 03:20
It doesn't work - you just get double ideas and it's way more difficult to organize.

Oh well, as long as you guys enjoy doing it this way...
Old June 24, 1999, 08:41   #7
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Narck,

There's no better alternative. You can't FORCE people to one site or the other. It's more work, sure, but it's also going to make for a greater likelihood that a greater variety of ideas will be collected. Ideally, the entire Civ world should post ideas in one place. God, I'd love that. But it won't happen.

Do I enjoy doing it this way?

It's more work than I ever imagined. I'll just leave it at that.
Old June 24, 1999, 19:18   #8
Alexander's Horse

I definitely fall into category of people who will continue to post here rather than on the Firaxis site. I'm sorry if this creates work for people like Yin but I've had a look at the Firaxis site and I like this one better. Its more comprehensive, better set out and the contributions are better.

Couldn't the Firaxis people just work off this site rather than having the data transferred over? It would take a burden off the moderators and thread masters. I'm sceptical that Firaxis is going to pick up as many of the ideas here, some quite brilliant, as we would like.

Old June 25, 1999, 00:19   #9
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Alexander's Horse,

I've made it my personal mission to make sure that all the ideas (posted in the 'official' threads, of course) both here and from Firaxis get put into ONE list. So, as long as the ideas are coming in an organized way, a comprehensive list will be made.

Ideally, people should be searching the other fan sites for ideas and bringing them here or to the Firaxis site. I personally can't put in that kind of time. But maybe others can?

<font size=1 color=444444>[This message has been edited by yin26 (edited June 25, 1999).]</font>
Old June 25, 1999, 00:32   #10
Alexander's Horse

Yin, sure but I just think that what's going to happen is that we're going to spend months writing up what should be in the game and then, when it comes out, spend months writing about what should have been in the game.....

Can't those Firaxis people read the threads here? Would mean less work for you - which was my main point - your personal mission sounds like mission impossible. And who will thank you?

And what are these other fan sites? Are any any good?

Old June 25, 1999, 01:40   #11
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Alexander's Horse:

I wouldn't be doing this except:

Brian Reynolds said that a list from us for Civ3 will be by his computer while he programs the game. History shows he DOES listen, but usually these forums are just noise--all the good ideas "get lost" (Brian's quote).

He prefers a huge, organized list rather than 1,000,000 little e-mails/day: "Hey, Brian, I just had this cool idea!" Would you read that stuff? Who has time?

It's not "Mission Impossible"--I'm the forum moderator for both the list-making processes here and on the Firaxis site. I just make sure the two sites release the next list at close to the same time. Then I make sure one list comes out of two. Both sites are using (will be using) the same summary format, so this is not as hard as it sounds--it just takes TIME, TIME, TIME! (Dear God...).

Trust me. This is our best chance to get our ideas into Civ3. And once it's released, lists will start on what to patch/upgrade etc. That's just how this works.
Old June 25, 1999, 01:44   #12
Alexander's Horse

I've just been across to the Firaxis site and I see Yin26 everywhere. If you work for them Yin, I take it all back - WORK YOUR ARSE OFF! We need a new game pronto amigo and your right of course - Brian listens - but does he listen to me?

<font size=1 color=444444>[This message has been edited by Alexander's Horse (edited June 25, 1999).]</font>

Old June 25, 1999, 02:59   #13
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Yes, I "work" for them. Free. Just like you do everytime you post an idea. Post. Post some more. With any luck, your idea(s) will make it into the game. That's the fun part here. The only thing I can promise is that if you post in the list threads, your ideas will be seen by Brian and the Firaxis team. That ain't too bad to start with.