Old August 13, 1999, 22:24   #1
bcr3
King

Local Time: 03:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Nature's Wrath - Random Natural Disasters
At Icedan's suggestion, I'm moving this thread here from the General forum.
The suggestion is to include disasters in CivIII. They were present in Civ, but did'nt make the cut for Civ2.
Suggestions so far include:
- having specific land types targeted by specific disasters, i.e.: tornadoes hit plains and grasslands, tsunamis hit coastal squares, and floods hit cities on rivers.
- having specific targets for natural disasters, i.e.: tsunamis destroy coastal improvements such as harbors and ports, while floods destroy aqueducts or sewer sytems.
- having different levels of disasters, such as Minor and Major earthquakes.
- presenting disasters as punishments from the gods, with fundamentalist gov'ts being hit less often or less severely (this idea did not garner much support)
- technologies and city improvements which either lessen the chances of being hit by a disaster or provide warnings as to where they will occur, i.e.: Seismological Center decreases a city's chance of being hit by earthquakes, or provides a warning before they occur, or a Seismology advance which shows where fault lines are located and which mountains are likely to spew magma for no particular reason.
-having disasters kill pop. points
-providing an evacuation option once warnings have been given. The suggestion was that an evacuation order would cause a city to cease all production for one turn while the disaster takes its toll. In exchange, the city is spared some or all damage.
The original thread is on CivIII General forum under Nature's Wrath.
Old August 14, 1999, 00:26   #2
Theben
Deity

Local Time: 04:22
Well, I'll admit this goes farther than most people's suggestions about natural disasters-random events. But you need to put it in an existing thread-probably MISCELLANEOUS-in order to insure it will be included in the List to Firaxis.
Old August 16, 1999, 23:46   #3
bcr3
King

Local Time: 03:22
Thanks Theben... like everybody says, this list has a few more rules that seem to screw people up. Is there any way I can direct deposit this in another thread to save some time?
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by bcr3 (edited August 16, 1999).]</font>
Old August 17, 1999, 15:07   #4
Theben
Deity

The topic? No. The post itself? Cut n' paste?
Old August 17, 1999, 17:58   #5
Bird
King

bcr: I like these ideas and previously posted some similar thoughts in the "Other" thread. If it's not too late, perhaps the ideas set forth here can be added there.