Old September 18, 1999, 10:51   #61
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 10:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Now you're busy about a complete tech model, some thoughts...
I had created 2 scenarios back in the Civ2 age(never put on the Internet. They never got completed cause I had some problems with the rules.txt and the FW scenario editor.).
But I did create 2 brand new tech trees for them on paper, each contaning +- 70 techs, so they could be used for Civ3.

However before we can do this, we must now three things from Firaxis (and considering how little information they gave in the past, this is very unlikely) :

1) Starting age of Civ3 (that Jeff interview from a while back suggested that Civ3 might start earlier than 4000 BC)

2) Ending age (future or not)

3) Are they gonna keep almost the same tech tree or take the challenge of creating a super eg300 techs tree?

And those scenarios went about the Ancient Age (my superbetter version of that bad Rise of Rome scenario) and the Renaissance (my supersuperbetter version of that bad Age of Discovery scenario).
That are the era's where I am most interested in and know most of, so my technological knowledge of the early Middle Ages and the Modern Age is limited. BTW there wasn't much discovered anyway in the Middle Ages, mostly weapon tech; and about that I know nothing besides some general things like crossbow etc.

So wouldn't Diodorus be the best man to do it?

And yes, I think also it would cause a lot of posts (SE and Religion are the biggest threads. Coincidence?), but mostly negative ones, looking back at SE. So I don't think making a tech model is desirable for me and my already bad reputation if I get really fanatic about it.

Oh, Yin, that List has to come very soon. Soon we'll get even less posts/day than the Firaxis forums!

And will there be a SE summary? I guess not.
Old September 19, 1999, 00:08   #62
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 04:24
Well, the end of this month is the deadline. If threads don't get summarized, I assume that's because the TM/posters in that thread don't really want to summarize it. So we'll go with what we have at that point.

As for the future of this project, I think the only way it will take off again at all levels is if Brian Reynolds makes a clear statement that he'd like this-and-that because he is considering so forth and so on.

If not, we should rest assured that he is looking at what we send carefully. I honestly believe that to be true. We'll just have to see.
Old September 19, 1999, 19:52   #63
Harel
Prince

Local Time: 08:24
Yin, i got almost an entire week free at home... if you need any instant summary, just let me know... sigh... this really looks bad people! Cut the slack and get going!
Old September 19, 1999, 20:41   #64
Technocrat
Chieftain

Harel (or Maniac, if possible), if I could impose, may I suggest that a summary of the SE thread be made? That thread is perhaps the most worked on of all the threads (and, IMO, the most interesting), and it unfortunately seems as though Bell has abandoned it or something of that nature . I hate to ask this of you guys when I am not prepared to do the same, especially in light of the thread's length, but really don't personally have the time, and won't for a couple of weeks...

Technocrat
Old September 19, 1999, 22:03   #65
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Harel and M@ni@ac,

As Techno says, it looks like SE is in big trouble--unless somehwere in there Bell mentioned he'd be doing the summary and I missed it. If that's not the case, SE needs your much-appreciated summarizing. Maybe you could work together, or since you have the whole week, Harel, perhaps you could take on that huge monster and M@ni@ac could take another abandoned thread that looks good to you?

Whatever you guys can do would be of GREAT help!

Yin
Old September 19, 1999, 22:04   #66
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Harel and M@ni@ac,

As Techno says, it looks like SE is in big trouble--unless somehwere in there Bell mentioned he'd be doing the summary and I missed it. If that's not the case, SE needs your much-appreciated summarizing. Maybe you could work together, or since you have the whole week, Harel, perhaps you could take on that huge monster and M@ni@ac could take another abandoned thread that looks good to you?

Whatever you guys can do would be of GREAT help!

Yin
Old September 19, 1999, 23:56   #67
raingoon
Prince

Local Time: 00:24
Yin

I haven't been following which threads are getting done and which aren't. If there is a thread that needs summarizing that's been abandoned, just tell me which one and consider it done. Take me two or three days.

Unless it's SE. I'm brave, but I'm not that brave .

Old September 20, 1999, 01:39   #68
Koyaanisqatsi
King

Yin et al.

As I told you Yin, I will be doing a summary, but this will be my last one.
Old September 20, 1999, 02:58   #69
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Sorry, Bell. It gets hard to keep track sometimes. Well, people, there's your answer! Bell is on it!

But I'll post a thread 911 summary here soon for those saints among us who are volunteering time.
Old September 20, 1999, 16:10   #70
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

I'm not sure if Bell is still listening to me but...

I abandoned the idea of Evolution choices '->'. When I use it, half of my model makes no sense.

Guys, why are you all afraid of summarizing the SE thread? Because of the post count? In that thread, there hasn't been spoken on a lot of subjects. Mostly just some nitpicking and minor adjustments to our (Harel's and mine) models. I bet it's possible to make a very short summary of SE.

M@ni@c (owner of the most variations on a nick , after a while it became a bit funny, seeing people struggling to get your name right)

BTW, if Bell resigns, who will be the next TM? I don't think there will be many people jumping to take over his place.

M@ni@c (though handy, that @'s, because they are easily noticeable in a text, eg the Terrain summary. I didn't have time to read it all, so I just searched the @'s to know my quotes.)
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by M@ni@c (edited September 20, 1999).]</font>
Old September 21, 1999, 18:59   #71
Harel
Prince

Yin I can hardly just "take over" a thread without you telling me which... other i will totaly upset the thread owner if he is just laboring away at home on it as we speak.

However, i did suggest to Smilo to do the space exploration thread: it would be easy for me since i am very aware of the different ideas there, so I can sum them up rather quickly.
Ofcourse, my free week is almost over, but there is the week-end. No, I haven't been sleeping, i was working on my Malkari site.

Anyway, Smilo and Yin, if I won't get a "NO! NO!" post or e-mail by friday, i am doing the space exploration summary. If however, you have a different, or additional request ( it's rather short thread, so i can maybe push in two ), just tell me. But once more, i stress, TELL me which thread you want me to sum up Yin.

I must say that things are not looking good. I didn't know they were so many at school here: else i can't explain the enourmous drop since the summer holiday ended...

not wanting to sound heroics, i got a preety dense schedule myself ( before you start screaming on my week-off, i didn't have a vacation for 7 months, thanks you very much ), and i did the summary a month ago. While it's not even close to what Shining at the tech thread, or Bell needs to handle, but still... Come on, if you can't handle it, and it's fine, we all got a life, have the common-sense and good behavior to TELL US BEFORE! Sigh.
Old September 21, 1999, 23:37   #72
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Hey Big Yin:

I'm still here if an extra summary needs doing. Just post the 911 thread whenever and the saints/fools will be around to grab them up.

Also, there have been a few changes made to the Combat and Units summaries which have been posted in their respective threads. Nothing too major, just some clarifications. Let me know if you want me to email you a revised copy of these, otherwise I'll assume that you're just going to cut'n'paste them.

Technocrat:

ARRRGH! YOU'RE LOGIN IS ALMOST THE SAME AS MINE! Gone, gone are the days when I shall be the only one referred as Techno. Ah well, c'est la vie.
Old September 22, 1999, 05:33   #73
smilo
Warlord

CHecking in again, for good this time.

Problems have been solved, I have full access again to the Web.

Harel, thanks for your offer. I'm tempted to let you get part of it, but on second thoughts it is my responsability and I should live up to my promises.

Summary WILL be delivered by Monday. PLease notify if this is too late.

Old September 22, 1999, 08:44   #74
Maniac

Yes indeed. The 16 to 20 age category is the most represented here on Apolyton.
Old September 22, 1999, 18:28   #75
Technocrat
Chieftain

Sorry, technophile, but I just kept the name I've had since March over at the Alpha Centauri boards and later the Firaxis boards. No offense taken, I hope

Bell, if you read this, could you start a Social Engineering thread v. 3 over at Firaxis? The Joker has been having problems with loading times and the three of us who are there (Joker, Cormac, and myself) have planned to post new versions of our SE proposals once a new SE thread was begun. If you don't want to be its manager/hoster, I'd be willing to consider taking on the job of this new thread if nobody else wants to. Thanks.

Technocrat
Old September 24, 1999, 17:52   #76
don Don

Have forwarded my Resource/Support portion of Econ/Trade to Harel for a quick review. It should be in Yin's hands ASAP.

Old September 24, 1999, 19:07   #77
raingoon
Prince

Local Time: 00:24
Well, here we go. I got confirmation from the TM. Looks like I'm doing the summary for Radical Ideas, unless someone else is already working on it that I don't know about. Post now if so!

I sure don't want to tackle this baby this weekend if someone else is already doing it. Unless I hear a big NO, I'm it. No later than end of Monday okay?

Raingoon