Old November 10, 1999, 22:20   #1
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 04:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
LIST ver 2: Download Here!
Thanks go to Markos for making things as easy for us as possible. He has just made the list (ver 2) downloadable here. And he promises an HTML version in the future.

I'd like to suggest to people that they take a look at the list before making any suggestions, as there is a good chance your idea has already been discussed. Although the list is 479 pages, it is broken down very well into sections, so you can find your area of interest quite easily.

Anyway, there are no plans as of now for a version 3, but you never know what could happen in the event Firaxis asks for more (but that seems unlikely).
Old November 10, 1999, 23:32   #2
Icedan

I don't know what fonts have been used, but half the page I can't view. Just a bunch of block characters and mumbo jumbo. I don't care myself, but i'm worried that Firaxis won't be able to read it either.

Old November 10, 1999, 23:37   #3
Icedan

Oh, and I feel sorry for Firaxis, having to read all that. There are probably more ideas in there than any other game ever made, including board games! But if they do read it, learn from it and put the ideas to use, they're bound to come up with the best game ever created.

Old November 11, 1999, 00:20   #4
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Icedan,

I downloaded it again and it worked fine. Hmmm. Well, if Firaxis had a problem, they never said anything. Then again, they never said they got the file either, so who knows?

Hopefully they read it and got some good ideas...
Old November 11, 1999, 02:19   #5
Theben
Deity

Hopefully they'll scan through it for gems and set those aside for discussion...I'd hate to think it was all for nought.
Old November 11, 1999, 06:39   #6
Icedan

Whether they use all of the ideas or none, that doesn't mean this was all for nothing.
The entire journey to try make the next Civilization the best game possible, a game that the PEOPLE want, was a very important journey.

I remember reading that Firaxis are going to put a page up on Civ3 soon, hopefully before next year! That will flare interest back up again. I loved it when CtP was in progress. Everyone had something to talk about, now...It's the Off Topic that is amusing.

Good things take time.

Old November 11, 1999, 16:35   #7
MarkG

130+ downloads for v2 so far...

no mail response Yin?

Old November 11, 1999, 20:51   #8
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Markos,

No. I mailed it to four people, so I'm sure at least one of them got it. I think they might have taken a one-week vacation after finishing SMACX? What do you think?

Yin
Old November 12, 1999, 03:28   #9
MarkG

hmm no clue

Old November 12, 1999, 15:57   #10
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 10:25
Hey, my system included in the list2 here isn't the most recent one!
Old November 12, 1999, 16:34   #11
raingoon
Prince

Local Time: 00:25
The summary was really a gift and I hope they do acknowledge it. But in the end, I predict the detailed response to our ideas that we all wish for will come in the form of the game itself.

We have to remember too that the folks on the Civ 3 design team have been reading threads here, and at SidGames.com (and Firaxis) from the beginning. They've acknowledged on their own website that Apolyton and SidGames are the headquarters for fan input, period. They've been debating the merits of these ideas right along side us, count on it. We have in fact sent them a summary of threads they've poured over, in some cases, countless times already. And since our goal is to help shape the game, we should be in such a fortunate position.

I know from Blair Wolf that the "report ticker" idea has been debated for a month, but as yet without concensus. And BW would not have asked for our input in the first place if debating Apolyton ideas was not the norm around Firaxis. I think we're like the advisers they can click on and off (with Yin definitely the Elvis).

I applaud recent efforts to direct everyone to the new wish list to prevent posting old ideas. Maybe you should almost have to link through the wish list in order to get to the suggestion threads in the future. Anyway, the threads are probably more useful and inspirational than we know.

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by raingoon (edited November 12, 1999).]</font>
Old November 12, 1999, 17:22   #12
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

???????
Do you have Firaxis insider information we/I don't know off?
Old November 12, 1999, 20:16   #13
raingoon
Prince

Local Time: 00:25
No. Just an e-mail from Blair Wolf that said they are debating the ticker idea. I personally know of nothing more than that. But my assumption is that they have been and will be debating other ideas from Apolyton and SidGames. I don't think you have to be on the inside of Firaxis to figure that one out. These are great ideas!
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by raingoon (edited November 12, 1999).]</font>
Old November 12, 1999, 21:14   #14
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

raingoon:

Thanks for the info! Nobody has sent me any mail about this stuff, but as long as the ideas are getting through, that's all that matters.

M@ni@c:

I tried to give everybody a last shot at catching problems. I guess I let one slip through. My bad.

Yin
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by yin26 (edited November 12, 1999).]</font>
Old November 13, 1999, 05:37   #15
Icedan

Report Ticker, I remember hearing about that idea, had no idea what it was, but recently I had to install a java applet, called "News Ticker". Now I know what it is!! haha!! What a great idea, awesome.

Old November 13, 1999, 12:42   #16
Maniac

Yin, don't fret about it. I've sent a mail to breynolds@firaxis.com with an update, together with a weakened version of, you know, that personal comment of mine.

BTW, are there people here that send/mail their ideas regularly to Firaxis instead of just posting them here?? Then I guess I've joined the club.

PS: can somebody give me a description of a report ticker?
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by M@ni@c (edited November 13, 1999).]</font>
Old November 13, 1999, 16:09   #17
Icedan

Maniac, go here, http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~knowles/Main.htm

You'll see the news ticker on the left hand side, it has an orange background.

Imagine having that on your interface, this way you'll know what is going on at all times, without having to open any other windows.

Old November 13, 1999, 17:14   #18
Maniac

Thanks.
SMAC already had something similar to this, though it didn't scroll on itself, and I found it a VERY good improvement (actually I like the entire SMAC interface with hyperlinks etc).
Old November 14, 1999, 14:56   #19
Theben
Deity

Maniac, I've wondered that, too. I never sent anything personally since I was afraid they'd ignore things directly sent, but I would like to send the latest version of COMBAT to him. So how about it, yin, (BrianR? are you here?) would they take it?
Old November 14, 1999, 15:44   #20
Harel
Prince

Local Time: 08:25
Yin, where is MY social model? I sent it to you, and posted it in the social model threads! Everyone's model is there but mine!
Old November 15, 1999, 00:55   #21
Icedan

Social Model? What's that
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Icedan (edited November 15, 1999).]</font>

Old November 15, 1999, 02:35   #22
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Harel,

Damn! I knew something like this would happen--that's why I e-mailed everybody AND posted the file for one last check. Anyway, I accept the blame.

However, please e-mail it to Firaxis, since you put a lot of thought into it.

Yin