Old May 19, 1999, 19:11   #1
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 04:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
FAQ: What is the list? What is a 'Thread Master?' How do I help? Will Firaxis really read this st
WHAT IS THE LIST?

**The List of Ideas for Firaxis is just that: A list of Civ3 development ideas for Firaxis (especially Brian Reynolds) to consider as the design of Civ3 begins and evolves.

WHAT IS A 'THREAD MASTER'?

**I, Yin, am the COORDINATOR of the MAIN LIST, which will be sent at the end of June and then every month after that. But before I can put all that together, the hard work belongs to the THREAD MASTERS, who are taking a great deal of their own time to host topics on given sections of development (please see The List of Thread Masters for more information). The Thread Masters in turn have nothing to organize without feedback from the gamer. So, as we already know, the gamers (YOU) are the key to this list and to making Civ3 an awesome game.

HOW DO I HELP?

**I'm glad you asked! You can help in three major ways: 1) If you have that great topic you always wanted the makers of Civ3 to consider while making the game, here is your chance. E-mail me with your topic and become a Thread Master (I'll explain your duties in an e-mail before you accept because you might think twice after seeing all the work it will take!). 2) Just simply participate in the existing threads. The Thread Masters really need great ideas in order to for all of us to combine this into a great list for Firaxis. 3) E-mail me anytime with comments or suggestions: namk26@hotmail.com

WILL FIRAXIS REALLY READ THIS STUFF?

I refer you to the following post from Brian Reynolds:

"I know from experience that the best way to receive suggestion lists is to get one big huge long one every now and then--small piecemeal ones are a lot easier to lose, which is unfortunate because they often have great ideas.

One thing to consider, as you guys discuss Civ3 suggestions in the coming months, is to appoint a volunteer or two to collect the good suggestions into a list--Yin? Where are you Yin?

In the years following Civ1, some guys on the Internet put together a "Civ2 suggestions FAQ" which proved immeasurably helpful in our development of that game.

If you send me a big "core dump" from time to time at breynolds@firaxis.com you can rest assured it will be printed out and sitting on my desk while I'm designing and coding!

BR"

Finally, a question I am often ask goes like this: How much of this list will Firaxis use, and will this just be a waste of time?

I can't promise anything. Not even Brian Reynolds can promise anything--except, of course, that he will read the ideas on this list and keep the list by his computer while he's programming the game.

What more could you want?

[Note: This message has been edited by yin26]
Old May 20, 1999, 07:19   #2
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

...just moving the thread up...
Old May 20, 1999, 16:58   #3
evil conquerer
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:26
Suggested addition:

WHY SHOULD I POST IN THE LIST?

Every single person who has ever played Civilization II or Alpha Centauri has a moral duty to post on the list. Remember: If you have a suggestion, Firaxis will listen. They earn their bread because of you, so they have to listen. So if you have suggestions and don't post them, you have no right to complain about the game when it comes out. But if everybody makes suggestions, Civilization III will be crowned as true successor to Civilization II (instead of CtP, which is a mere pretender to the throne).

Every time a new game comes out, there are people saying: "They should have done it this way!" Those people had an opportunity to submit their suggestions, and they didn't. Therefore, they are part of the problem and have no right to complain. But if you post an idea, you can brag about the game whether or not your idea was submitted. For you were a part of the design process.

So let's hear your ideas!

Note: I already posted this in a separate thread, but I saw your FAQ afterwards and thought it would be a good idea to have this in the FAQ. If you don't think it belongs, it doesn't have to be included.
Old May 20, 1999, 18:30   #4
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Check the FAQ...But I took out any harsh criticism of CtP or people who don't post ideas. Remember, CtP, if nothing else, gave us some great ideas for Civ3. And, who knows, if Activision keeps working hard, they might put some real pressure on Firaxis to exceed expectations. I hope so!

------------------
CIV3 DEVELOPMENT LIST COORDINATOR

**(un)Officially Making Lists for Firaxis Since SMAC Enhancement 3!**

[This message has been edited by yin26 (edited May 20, 1999).]
Old December 8, 1999, 11:08   #5
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 10:26
How high would a pile of 450 printed pages be?
Old December 8, 1999, 12:05   #6
The Joker
Prince

Hehehe...!

Good to see you're still around here, Maniac! Although there isn't much to be around here for...
Old December 8, 1999, 12:05   #7
The Joker
Prince

Hehehe...!

Good to see you're still around here, Maniac! Although there isn't much to be around here for...
Old December 8, 1999, 12:05   #8
The Joker
Prince

Hehehe...!

Old December 8, 1999, 12:05   #9
The Joker
Prince

Hehehe...!

Old December 8, 1999, 12:05   #10
The Joker
Prince

Hehehe...!

Old December 8, 1999, 12:05   #11
The Joker
Prince

Hehehe...!

Old December 8, 1999, 12:05   #12
The Joker
Prince

Hehehe...!

Old December 8, 1999, 12:05   #13
The Joker
Prince

Hehehe...!

Old December 8, 1999, 18:28   #14
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

You're a nutjob, Joker. No offense.

M@ni@c: Depends on how compressed the pages are, meaning that the more you read it the thicker it gets. Probably at least an inch and a half thick, judging from experience, expanding to two inches thick if BR leafs through it constantly. (1 inch = 2.54 cm, for all you metric folks )
Old December 11, 1999, 21:14   #15
Theben
Deity

450 pages of computer printout? I'd say more than 2 inches. Probably 4 or 5; remember how thick those cheesy 200 page novels you read are . And that's before thumbing through them. I think the best guarantee is BR regrets ever making that statement ("How can I work with this damn list taking up the whole $%^%^*# desk!?!").
Old December 12, 1999, 08:11   #16
Biddles
Prince

Local Time: 08:26
Or he's laughing 'cos we laid the game out for him.

- Biddles
Old December 13, 1999, 07:16   #17
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 09:26
Hmmm, how about to use the Printed list to raise the Brian's PC monitor to a more comfortable elevation?
It will be
Quote:
sitting on my desk while I'm designing and coding
as Brian assured to us

------------------
Adm.Naismith AKA mcostant