EC3 New Idea #6 - AMAZING CITY VIEW!!
"Beautiful, animated, 3D - CITY VIEW !!"

-- Tiberius

Old February 18, 2000, 19:16   #2
Audevourahn
Settler

Local Time: 08:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ and civ2 had a city viewing button, which was cool. It let you see what your empire actually looks like. Add this feature for certain, but be sure to update the appearance of the buildings as time passes.
Make it animated, vast and spactacular. Huge cityscapes, with towering futeristic buildings would be fantastic!
Old February 19, 2000, 07:52   #3
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 10:27
It would be nice to have people talking to you (in the City View), like in Caesar III. Just click on a citizen and he tells you what are he's concerns. For example: "There is too much corruption in this city" or "We don't even have a school. How can we educate our children?". or "I'm really proud to have Michelangelo's Chapel in our city".
Old February 19, 2000, 14:53   #4
Ekmek
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 01:27
I liked the 3D city view, but it really served no purpose. It would be cooler that when you opened up a city you saw the city view and when you build something you choose where (and how many! more than one city improvement please!) instead of just a list. This would add a little simcity, but if you don't like that then set it to Auto-mayor and let them pick and choose. And the City Status (F1) function of the list should be improved for those that wouldn't like this city view an entire list of all your cities should come up and pull down windows should be available to change what you're building (or people) from there instead of entering the city view window.
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by E (edited February 20, 2000).]</font>
Old February 22, 2000, 12:11   #5
apocalyptica
Settler

Yes, some of the SC3000-esque viewing would be nice. The ability to zoom out and get a meta-view of the city, and to be ablke to zoom in and see what your individual civilianz are doing, how they spend their days. That would be almost as fascinating as playing the game itself.
Old February 23, 2000, 00:19   #6
ChrisShaffer
Prince

Local Time: 02:27
A complete waste of time and certainly doesn't warrant inclusion on a 'must have' list. This is fluff that has virtually no effect on game play.
Old February 23, 2000, 01:09   #7
pauli
Prince

Local Time: 04:27
it adds to imersion, which is critical for good gameplay.

the city view was a great feature of civ1. the city view was a... feature of civ2.
ctp and smac both lacked a city view.

i say, it's time to see if modern graphics can compete with bright, blocky, 8bit art. come on, firaxis... immerse me
Old February 23, 2000, 02:59   #8
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

I agree that this suggestion is a waste of time. Doesn't really add much to the game.
Old February 23, 2000, 03:05   #9
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Yes, it has no effect on gameplay, but makes the game more enjoyable.
After several hours (days) of playing and working hard to build an empire, after wars, sneaky enemies and a lot of micromanagement, it's a real pleasure to "sit down" and enjoy the look of what you have built.
Old February 23, 2000, 12:30   #10
pauli
Prince

chris, imran... out of curiosity, do you guys normally play to win, or play to have fun?
Old February 23, 2000, 12:49   #11
korn469
Emperor

Local Time: 03:27
Tiberius

if asked why out of the five things to put on the new ideas thread why would this idea belong? what are the greatest strength in adding this idea? and what if any weaknesses or exploits does this idea have?

would your proposed city view look like simcity3k or what? i am assuming that cities would still be icons on the map and the city veiw is just eye candy when you open up a city right? how does this make the game more emersive?
Old February 24, 2000, 01:30   #12
apocalyptica
Settler

is it fluff? sure, but so what? if you don't want fluff, why not get rid of the wonder movies, also? hell, why not bring it down to being a command prompt based game?

it's not like you would *have* to view the city view. It would just be there to be a nice option for those who wish to become totally immersed in the game.
Old February 25, 2000, 18:18   #13
Joseph
King

I like the idea of a city view. For the people that do not care for it, you can turn it off in the option screen. In Civ 2 you can turn off almost everthing, so why not in Civ 3. I would like to see the cities in their original style until the end of the game, just modernize as the centuries past.

------------------
Old February 25, 2000, 18:18   #14
Joseph
King

I like the idea of a city view. For the people that do not care for it, you can turn it off in the option screen. In Civ 2 you can turn off almost everthing, so why not in Civ 3. I would like to see the cities in their original style until the end of the game, just modernize as the centuries past.
Old February 26, 2000, 04:47   #15
ChrisShaffer
Prince

Local Time: 02:27
I play to have fun and to win. Why else would you play? I think that having a "great city view" would be nice. I just don't think it's essential. On a list of 1,000 things I'd like to see in Civ3, sure, put this on the list. On a list of 10 essential features, this one doesn't even come close.
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by ChrisShaffer (edited February 26, 2000).]</font>
Old February 26, 2000, 16:46   #16
Ekmek
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

My suggestion that you get to place improvements (and a number of them) in your city add significance to the 3D City View. For the non-micromanagers just set auto-mayor.

I'm not stressing a full sim city (simcity doesn't have the forien relations aspects that civ3 will). Just choice of placeing improvements and wonders (which might have a slight effect on crowding, wealth, and production). It may give city builders an advantage but if someone is a good strategist on a national level it could be over come. This could offer an alternative victory by building a great city (weighing heavily on good trade and diplomacy a Singapore if you will) or if you prefer a great nation road to victory (of which there are severa options).
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by E (edited February 26, 2000).]</font>
Old March 8, 2000, 08:12   #17
Tiberius
Emperor

Amazing CITY VIEW

Proposed Final draft

Civ and Civ2 had a City View button, which was cool. In Civ, the City View was great, in Civ2 was so-so, but Civ3 should have an amazing CITY VIEW.

The City View is useless and doesn’t add really too much to the gameplay, but it gives you a sense of satisfaction, because it let you see how your empire actually looks like; it’s fun and fascinating to see your achievements, your people every day’s life, to see how people celebrate a “I love the …” day, cheering and laughing, or to see angry citizens burning some building because of the misery in what they’re living. For some players that would be almost as fascinating as playing the game itself.

Important clarifications:
- make it awesome, through beautiful, animated, true 3D graphics, and also great music
- don’t change the city view activation method: a button in the city screen;
- make it an option. For those who do not want to see it, just turn it off in the option screen;
- city architecture should be civilization-specific;
- city architecture should depend on the era (update the appearance of buildings as time passes)
- the city “noise” should be also civilization-specific (people talking in their languages, singing their nation-specific songs)
- the city “noise” should depend on the era (update the city-sounds as time passes)
- have the ability to zoom in and zoom out
Please, Firaxis, give us an amazing CITY VIEW !

Korn, is it maybe a Fix, after all?

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Tiberius (edited March 08, 2000).]</font>