Old May 21, 1999, 21:48   #1
Travathian
Warlord

Local Time: 00:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
THE MANUAL/HELP FILES (ver1.0): Hosted by Travathian
Here's your chance to voice your opinion on what you'd like to see as far as help files, the manual, and any sort of foldouts included with the game.

So far, the following has been recommended:

-an index for the manual
-a tech tree foldout
-reference cards
-tech tree viewer with the help files
-no instruction manual at all, just have it on disk (definitely up for debate)
-a research goal option (similar to Civ II)
-scripting explanations/help files (similar to Fantastic Worlds)
-brief historical bit on each civ in the instruction manual

[This message has been edited by Travathian (edited May 26, 1999).]
Old May 21, 1999, 21:54   #2
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 04:29
Travathian,

Welcome aboard! This is one of my favorite topics. I'm one of those guys who actually likes to read the manual before I play (imagine that!). Here's an important one:

An INDEX!!!

I shall simply refer you to SMAC's manual to see what confusion a missing index can cause.

Also, Travatian, I forgot to mention: You'll need to keep track of all the names of people who post ideas in your threads. That's a vital part of the Lists that will be sent to Brian. Paperwork, I know!

------------------
CIV3 DEVELOPMENT LIST COORDINATOR

**(un)Officially Making Lists for Firaxis Since SMAC Enhancement 3!**
Old May 21, 1999, 21:55   #3
Travathian
Warlord

I'll start things off. I'd like to start off with the electronic help. I really like the three introductory help scenarios. Definitely would like to see these included, as well the walkthrus for things like the design workshop, city screen, etc which were incorporated into SMAC. I thought these were awsome for first time players, as well as us veterans who looked at SMAC and said 'what the heck did they do!' Since the interface had changed somewhat.
Old May 21, 1999, 22:04   #4
Koyaanisqatsi
King

As I've mentioned in the technology thread, a good tech tree viewer is important. I think if it was integrated into the online help, and available whenever you need to pick a new tech to research, it would clear up a lot of confusion.

Also, I found the SMAC datalinks quite helpful, if a bit confusing at first.
Old May 21, 1999, 23:54   #5
Travathian
Warlord

How does everyone feel about a technology tree foldout? Or is it better to just have an electronic one?

Index cards (maybe 8x11 laminated) which show terrain improvements, SE choices, combat modifiers, breakdown of the civs bonuses/penalties?
Old May 22, 1999, 18:34   #6
evil conquerer
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:29
Yes, keep the tech tree! That is probably the single biggest timesaver in the whole game. Once I know the game well, I find the tech tree more useful than the manual itself. Of course, Firaxis shouldn't skimp on either (and they sure don't! :-)).

Index cards would be cool; I'm not sure how much I would use them because I haven't had any experience there. My first impression is that it would be too hard to find the specific card you're looking for in that big stack. Still, the concept is out there -- Maybe there's a way to pull it off.

Also, I'd like to second the motion for an index. That was the one flaw in an otherwise superb manual.
Old May 23, 1999, 02:57   #7
Travathian
Warlord

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of like 3 reference cards, each about 8x11 (the size of the box).

One would have terrain improvement breakdown, detailing the effects of each type of improvement on each type of land, as well as time frame; the back side could show combat modifiers, the various chasis, weapons and armor upgrades and unit special abilities.
The second card could list the various SE choices, since from reading some of the other posts, a lot of people want more options when it comes to this, so this card could show the combinations; on the back it could have the factions listed with a very brief bio on them (agression level, starting techs, goals, etc)

And a third which both sides would simply list all of the techs alphabetically, and the affects each one gives, similar to what pops up when you learn the tech (new city improvements, units, wonders, etc).

As far as the index for the manual, at this point I'd say there is no debate.

How does having a big foldout tech tree sound, possibly a map of Earth on the back? Or a seperate foldout for it, or no map?
Old May 23, 1999, 17:27   #8
Ralph
Settler

In addition to a big colourful tech-tree/units/terrain-tile poster – also add a cheap small A4-sized black/white version of the tech-tree itself, so the player can use that to make Xerox-copies.

I did some A4-sized Xerox-copies of the tech-tree in CIV-2, and then used a fluorescent pen to more easily keep track on my science-progress.
Old May 23, 1999, 18:06   #9
LordStone1
Emperor

Local Time: 03:29
I posted this in the "Other" thread but then I saw this....so here's my post...again!

I just want to say that the Civ III manual should be the same size as the CivII one, with nice and big-font words and easy to read, not like the encyclopedia-like with columns and size 8 font SMAC manual, nor the anorexic CTP forum. Lots of pictures, too!
Old May 23, 1999, 22:36   #10
NotLikeTea
Warlord

I found that while the CIVII manual was bigger than the CIV manual, I disliked it more. Why?

The II manual was all techie, and boring. How to move a unit. How to change the production. However, the original manual was actually fun to read. It had little historical bits, which is a real necessity for a historical game. It gave context, and a sense of atmosphere to the game, more so than was present in the sequel.

I say bring back the enjoyable read while including the techie reference.
Old May 24, 1999, 17:51   #11
Travathian
Warlord

I'd have to say I disagree with this, I kind of liked having the explanation of how to do everything in the CIV II manual. But then again, with all of the various walkthru's and learning scenarios in SMAC, maybe less of the manual could be dedicated to this, if these were developed for CIV III.

What is everyones feeling as far as the learning scenarios in SMAC, the Explore, Build, Conquer ones. Also, the walkthru's of the various screens (city screen, design workshop screen, etc).

Should these be included in CIV III?

Any changes? More info, less info?

Anyone think Firaxis should just do away with the hardcopy, and put it all on the disk? Maybe put it in .pdf format so that its easily printable and viewable. I'm sure this could definitely cut down on costs, and installation instructions would be included inside the jewel case.
Old May 24, 1999, 18:13   #12
Blade Runner
Prince

Local Time: 09:29
IMHO a tabbed notebook is better than 30 or 40 cards. Maybe the best is to get a little folder with a clip so you can change the order of the pages, but most likely nobody lost any of the cards (pages).
Old May 24, 1999, 19:49   #13
Mo
Warlord

I dislike the idea of putting all out on disk. That is what the in game help like the datalinks from alpha centauri is for. I really liked the Civ II poster. The 8X11 card are a good idea but they should still include a poster of all the techs.
Old May 25, 1999, 03:11   #14
Travathian
Warlord

How about interactive help files integrated into a website.

I remember Starcraft's help files had solutions built in, but also had built in links to their website if you needed more info.
Old May 25, 1999, 04:57   #15
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

There is one option from Civ2 that should come back: the research goal button. I really loved that: "I want to get Monarchy", "Then we should research Alphabet or Ceremonial Burial". With CTP and SMAC I always have to take that poster to see what I have to research next, so the goal button should come back.
Old May 25, 1999, 16:08   #16
Sieve Too
Prince

Definitely need a printed manual. That way I can learn the game without having to sit in front of the computer. Online help is nice but is not a substitute for a decent manual. Let's face it. It's much easier to thumb and skip through a printed manual than click through an online one. And until the day we all have 42 inch monitors, the help screen just overlaps and clutters up the game.
Old May 25, 1999, 18:00   #17
Travathian
Warlord

Does anybody want historical information about the civs included in the manual like in Age of Empires? I kind of thought the info was interesting, but if the number of civs gets too high, it could be just a short blip about em.
Old May 25, 1999, 23:41   #18
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

INDEX -- Add my voice to yin26's call for an extensive index. The sad fact is that I hardly used the SMAC manual because it didn't have an index. I like the Civ II manual very much.

SCRIPTING/SCENARIO LANGUAGE -- This should be addressed, even if superficially and at the back of the manual. A broad overview plus a short synopsis of each parameter would be nice.
Old May 26, 1999, 19:04   #19
Travathian
Warlord

They did include all of the scripting/scenario language for CivII but only in expansion pack Fantastic Worlds.

Is this something everyone thinks should be included in a seperate manual? Wait until a CivIII expansion?

I'm inclined to say have it wait until an expansion, simply because most people wont use those tools or build their own scenarios, and thats space which could be used for other things.
Old May 26, 1999, 21:23   #20
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Travathian: I would like a 350 page manual, so that's not a problem I see... Plenty of room.

[This message has been edited by DanS (edited May 26, 1999).]
Old May 27, 1999, 17:22   #21
Travathian
Warlord

350 pages? Is the game gonna be on a mini disc or in a seperate package?
Old June 3, 1999, 19:41   #22
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

-=*MOVING THE THREAD UP*=-
Old June 7, 1999, 10:01   #23
Ecce Homo
Prince

One should be able to learn the game from scratch with an on-line tutorial in two parts. Part 1 should be for understanding the interface, part 2 should be just like playing on Chief level but with even more advice.
Old June 7, 1999, 10:36   #24
NotLikeTea
Warlord

As to a tutorial, I'd like to see one that is integrated into the game.

This was attempted with the tutorial help messages, but I don't think this was done too well.. I'd like to see an ingame tutorial, with it's own scenario, designed for the tutorial. Click here, change this, modify that, not the more generic tutorial messages used now.
Old June 8, 1999, 10:00   #25
Sieve Too
Prince

Taking a cue from Microsoft (Oh no!!!!), how about "Question mark help"? You know, the little question mark button on the toolbar that changes your cursor to a pointer/question mark. Whatever you click on with this cursor pops up specific help for the item. Very useful for busy screens like the city window.
Old June 14, 1999, 03:43   #26
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

-=*MOVING THREAD UP*=-
Old June 15, 1999, 15:04   #27
Ecce Homo
Prince

Could the Civilopedia be compatible with MS Windows' help program?
Old June 15, 1999, 16:52   #28
NotLikeTea
Warlord

Bah! I hope not.. I have a fervent dislike of MS help for this kind of thing.. the only thing worse is HTML help.

Note: If the game comes with HTML help, I'm going to return it.

On fire.
Old June 16, 1999, 05:27   #29
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

-=*MOVING THREAD UP*=-
Old June 16, 1999, 05:44   #30
Kris Huysmans
Warlord