Old October 12, 2001, 23:12   #211
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 19:36
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Jesus! This must be the oldest surviving thread!

Ah, my first posts over 2 years ago...

I was Hodad, by the way, the original one. HsFB barely ever posts now.

*sigh*

At least no one did the DL dance the second you posted back then.
Old October 13, 2001, 12:41   #212
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 08:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Where my Name From ??
There lived a certain man in Russia long ago
He was big and strong, in his eyes a flaming glow
Most people looked at him with terror and with fear
But to Moscow chicks he was such a lovely dear
He could preach the bible like a preacher
Full of ecstacy and fire
But he also was the kind of teacher
Women would desire

RA RA RASPUTIN
Lover of the Russian queen
There was a cat that really was gone
RA RA RASPUTIN
Russia's greatest love machine
It was a shame how he carried on

He ruled the Russian land and never mind the Czar
But the kasachok he danced really wunderbar
In all affairs of state he was the man to please
But he was real great when he had a girl to squeeze
For the queen he was no wheeler dealer
Though she'd heard the things he'd done
She believed he was a holy healer
Who would heal her son

RA RA RASPUTIN
There was a cat that really was gone
RA RA RASPUTIN
It was a shame how he carried on

(Spoken)
But when his drinking and lusting and his hunger
for power became known to more and more people,
the demands to do something about this outrageous
man became louder and louder.

"This man's just got to go!" declared his enemies
But the ladies begged "Don't you try to do it, please"
No doubt this Rasputin had lots of hidden charms
Though he was a brute they just fell into his arms
Then one night some men of higher standing
Set a trap, they're not to blame
"Come to visit us" they kept demanding
And he really came

RA RA RASPUTIN
They put some poison into his wine
RA RA RASPUTIN
He drank it all and he said "I feel fine"

RA RA RASPUTIN
They didn't quit, they wanted his head
RA RA RASPUTIN
And so they shot him till he was dead

(Spoken) Oh, those Russians...
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old October 15, 2001, 16:12   #213
Gothmog
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 18:36
"There they had been mustered for the sack of the City and the rape of Gondor, waiting on the call of their Captain. He now was destroyed; but Gothmog the lieutenant of Morgul had flung them into the fray; Easterlings with axes, and Variags of Khand, Southrons in scarlet, and out of Far Harad black men like half-trolls with white eyes and red tounges."

From The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King , The Lord of the Rings

The Captain referred to in the passage was the Lord of the Nazgul.
Old October 15, 2001, 19:56   #214
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 17:36
Well - nothing special -
I always thought it was ridiculous when CivI would announce that "(Leader) announces retirement after 6000 year reign". That, and the old Mel Brooks "Thousand Year Old Man" sketch were the dubious inspirations for my moniker.

Oh - and I needed to come up with a nickname fast so I could make my first post!

STYOM
Old June 24, 2002, 11:23   #215
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 00:36
Bumping my own thread... So I'm a narcisist (however you spell that )...

New members, new user names. Where did you get yours from?

Carolus
Old June 24, 2002, 11:46   #216
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Alfie's Inn makes fantastic hamburgers, but for some odd reason they're called "loinburgers" instead of hamburgers.
Old June 24, 2002, 11:47   #217
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:36
My first name.
Old June 24, 2002, 12:13   #218
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:36
Using the OT link btw
I like dolphins, especially for their apparent sagacity.
Old June 24, 2002, 12:28   #219
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 19:36
Ah, it is something that pisses me off. I used to have this 'Alexnm' as a user name sometime before, because it is my first name (Alexandre) plus the initials of my surnames (N and M). Only after I registered here is when I noticed that it sounded like "Alex Enema". I hate it. And I can't change it.
Old June 24, 2002, 12:38   #220
Caligastia
Emperor

Caligastia-

In the course of this inspection Satan informed Caligastia of Lucifer's then proposed "Declaration of Liberty," and as we now know, the Prince agreed to betray the planet upon the announcement of the rebellion. The loyal universe personalities look with peculiar disdain upon Prince Caligastia because of this premeditated betrayal of trust. The Creator Son voiced this contempt when he said: "You are like your leader, Lucifer, and you have sinfully perpetuated his iniquity. He was a falsifier from the beginning of his self-exaltation because he abode not in the truth."

Caligastia is a nasty being, but I like the name.
Old June 24, 2002, 12:47   #221
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 22:36
Quote:
narcisist
narciscistic... I'm not sure narcisist is a word- one can be narciscistic but one cannot be a narcisist?

I assume... I'm probably wrong however.

-
Short version of name:

My dog's name is Cloud... and I needed a name which would "intimidate" people on the internet, thus the "Dark" portion was added.
Old June 24, 2002, 13:02   #222
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 22:36
Quite an ancient thread
You seem to have bumped it quite often, until recently of course
Old June 24, 2002, 13:27   #223
lightblue
Warlord

Local Time: 23:36
lightblue is the color of Cambridge University. You get a Blue when you support at a high level in a University sport, which I did, hence lightblue.
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old June 24, 2002, 13:35   #224
- Groucho -
Diplomacy
Prince

I was trying to call myself Echidna, but I spelled it wrong. Turns out Echinda is unique to most every board so now I use it everywhere.
Old June 24, 2002, 14:02   #225
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Oh well, never hurt to post this twice.

Off the top of my head. Of course, it is the constellation/supernova Cassiopeia, except in Finnish. But there's no real motif. I honestly just invented it to get playing AC on email.
Most people abhorrently mistype the part after the 'si', so I've thought of switching to Kass or Kassi.
Old June 24, 2002, 14:21   #226
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Don't do it, Kassiopeia, don't give in!
BTW, I see you're capitalized now... Thought you weren't previously IIRC.

...and mine's just a foreshortening of an old college nickname. Distance runner, long legs, first name Jack. You get the idea.

(Seems I posted this on another thread. How many of these are there???)

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old June 24, 2002, 14:29   #227
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 16:36
Russian version of an old handle of mine.

(Did I post this in the thread already?)
Old June 24, 2002, 15:10   #228
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

-Jrabbit, right you are, I got sick of the previous version. And virtually anyone used it capitalized, so...
And, I've been lately thinking of "Andrew Halcyon" or just "Halcyon", Halcyon is a cool word, and Andrew Halcyon is practically an English version of my name.
Old June 24, 2002, 22:02   #229
MosesPresley
Prince

Moses Presley was born to a Hebrew slave in Egypt. The Pharaoh heard a prophecy that a baby would grow up to rock the masses. As the Pharaoh hated rock n roll and the sin that was associated with it, he ordered that all baby boys be murdered at birth.

Moses Presley's mother had a plan to save him. She hid him in a basket by the Nile River. The Pharaoh's daughter found Moses and took him home to be raised as one of the family. Moses grew up as an Egyptian prince, but he never forgot he was a Hebrew with a love for rock n roll.

One day an Egyptian gang boss grabbed a slave's headphones from his head. The slave had been listening to "That's Alright Mama" on his walkman. Moses Presley saw this, lost his temper and beat the gang boss to death with his guitar. He had to run away. He ran to Memphis, Egypt, where he stayed at the Heartbreak Hotel. Moses Presley was depressed and was feeling sorry for himself, so he drank and smoked his woes away. One night he heard a deep booming voice. It was God speaking to him from a burning cigarette butt. God told him to stop crying all the time. God told him he must spread the word of rock n roll to the people. Moses Presley was now a mission.

Moses Presley returned to the Pharaoh and rocked the house. He played his top ten hits. The Pharaoh thought it was like a plague to his ears. The slaves seeing this screamed loudly and wanted to hear more, but the MC said that, "Moses has left the building."

The people followed him into the desert. Finally after months of travelling, they came to a mountain.
It was Mt. Billboard. Moses Presley climbed to the top of the mountain and wrote songs with God. He was up there for a long time. So long in fact, his people began to become angry and started to worship false gods, The Golden Fab Four. Moses Presley was enraged and threw his songs at the Golden Fab Four, but it was to no avail. The Golden Four stood and the people continued to worship them too.

Epilogue: Moses Presley in the long run prevailed. He kept a place in his people's hearts. One day God came to him in the bathroom and said it was time to go. Moses Presley had left the building for the last time. Thus a prophet and teen idol was born.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime
Old June 24, 2002, 22:26   #230
Playa del Carmen
Warlord

I was sure I posted in here....

I got Playa del Carmen from the city in Mexico. I've been there a couple of times.
Old June 25, 2002, 00:35   #231
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

I've done this at least once before. Oh well.

Mr. President was the name of a reggae-dance artist in the mid-90s. He was a dreadlocked guy from the East Coast who made exactly one hit song and then disappeared.

It also refers to an in-joke I used to have with my social group in Tasmania. They would call me "Mr. President" because I was American and we would joke about pressing the Big Red Button and taking out Iraq. Not very clever, is it? But the sound resonated and the name stuck. Perhaps one day someone will call me Mr. President because I actually am the President. I can dream, can't I?
Old June 25, 2002, 01:04   #232
boann
Civilization II Multiplayer
Princess

Boann .........myth of the Irish water-goddess

Legend has it that once the Irish river Boyne did not exist. Instead, there was only a well, surrounded and overhung by nine hazel-trees bearing the sacred crimson hazel-nuts of wisdom. No mortal humans, and no gods, not even the highest gods, were allowed to eat the hazel-nuts. Only the salmon living in the holy well were given this privilege, and as the nuts fell into the water, the salmon would eat them and immediately know all things.
Only Boann, a curious goddess, dared to approach the sacred well, and as she did so, the waters roiled and rose up, overflowing the pool and rushing at Boann in mighty waves. Boann ran swiftly and escaped, but the waters continued to rush out upon the land, creating the river Boyne, named after the lady Boann.

The wise salmon were washed out of their well by this catastrophe and to this day, they swim up and downstream searching in vain for their hazel-nuts.
Old June 25, 2002, 09:40   #233
Vesayen
King

I was playing an mmrpg(asherons call) and made a new guy. I had rescently lead the largest player organized event in the games history(1,400 people- yes it did lag like a mofo) on the Vesayen island chain. When I made a new guy this was still on my mind and I couldnt think of a name so I named my guy Vesayen........it stuck with me when I went to a few asherons call related message boards, and a friend on one of those boards told me about apolyton, so I brought it with me here.
Old June 25, 2002, 18:59   #234
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Wow, the 99ers in this thread are the newbies. So many 69ers. For a fourth time... just so I can post with a multitude of legends...

Lorizael Lomaut the elven conjurer and master of the Grease spell was one of my first characters and by far my favorite. He had so many uses for the grease spell that he... created his own version! And he was the elf in the adventuring group: The Druid, The Elf, and The Dog.
Old June 26, 2002, 04:11   #235
Carolus Rex
Emperor

Ok, I'll bite.

99ers? 69ers? Please, explain to a slowthinking man who's had too little sleep and too much trouble lately...

Carolus
Old June 26, 2002, 04:17   #236
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

... those that registered in 1999 or 1969 (though I know they didn't actually register in 1969).

I would have thought people would have asked about The Dog as a member of an adventuring party.
Old June 26, 2002, 04:34   #237
Carolus Rex
Emperor

Ok, thanks. I should've figured it out...

Quote:
Originally posted by Lorizael
For a fourth time...
Hm, where are the other threads? I would like to take a look...

Carolus
Old June 26, 2002, 06:44   #238
Saras
Emperor

Saras is a widely accepted abbreviation of my first name Sarunas.
Old June 26, 2002, 07:46   #239
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Hydey has been my nickname since I was 5, it comes from my surname Hyde.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old June 26, 2002, 11:15   #240
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

see post no. 2

This is the only other nickname thread recently (in the Civ2 Generla forum anyway):
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=49821