Old October 23, 1999, 15:48   #1
Mark_Everson

Local Time: 19:23
Local Date: October 30, 2010
If you want Radical Changes, Great AI, and More, check out The Clash of Civilizations
Please come by and check out The Clash of Civilizations.

Clash is a from-scratch version of a civ-like game. Definitely Not a clone.

We have a prototype demo available, although it is just for testing out ideas at this point. (Check out the 'Demo 2' thread if you're interested in what's there) We will release at almost every stage of the game, so we can get immediate feedback from interested players on what works and what doesn't. If its not Fun it won't be in the following version.

Now for some specifics

We already have about fifteen designers, programmers and artists at latest count. All of us are part time, probably 5-20 hrs/ week. If you are interested, we would like to hear what you think about the design as it stands so far. Suggestions for your own thoughts on design / features are also welcome. Or even better, come join the team...

One of our Main goals, in every aspect of the project, is to require less micro-management from the player than is typical in the 4x genre. If you Want micromanagement you can do it by the buckets-full, but its Never mandatory. One benefit of this would be the option of a 4-hr game where you'd go from BC to the present making only broad decisions. These might vary from player to player, but would be something like: your civ's diplomatic stance with respect to your neighbors, direction you want to try to move the economy, culture and government in, and overall military strategy. If we can make it so that this game is possible, and so that the player can "drill down" into any area to a fairly fine level of control, we'll have succeeded.

Clash has an emphasis on better handling of the government and intra-civ political effects. Another distinction of Clash is to include some effects of culture, ethnicity and their ramifications. (Check out our Government, and Social Models in the Status Thread at http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum21/HTML/000129.html if you're interested.)

And, of course, better AI than the complete junk (IMO) the commercial games are giving us for adversaries. Our ideas for AI are summarized in links on the Web page, and a rudimentary Map AI demo on the forum.

If you're interested in Clash, first check out the Main Clash Web Site for now at http://people.mw.mediaone.net/markeverson/clash_m.htm . A new web site design is almost up and running. Our Forum for suggestions and working out a design spec is here at Apolyton: http://apolyton.net/cgi-bin/ubb/foru...cs-&-number=21 . Please comment on things you like or don't like. Make alternative suggestions, its an open mike ;-).

For a more detailed look at where the planning for each game element is, check out the Guide to Current Status thread at http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum21/HTML/000129.html . We are hoping to finish up the initial overall design fairly soon, and are proceeding to coding on areas that are better developed.

There are a lot of ways that good thoughts in the design area can still seriously influence the final game at this point.

We also still need coders, designers, artists... you name it, we can use you

Come Join Us!

------------------
Mark Everson
Project lead for The Clash of Civilizations
(That means I do the things nobody else wants to do ;-) )
This Radically different civ game needs your suggestions and/or criticism of our design.
Check our our Forum right here at Apolyton...

[This message has been edited by Mark_Everson (edited October 27, 1999).]
Old October 23, 1999, 18:28   #2
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:23
Yes!I've checked it out and it looks very promising.I don't s'pose that demo is gonna be MACable?
Old October 23, 1999, 18:49   #3
Mark_Everson

Smash:

YES! Thats one of the virtues of Java, the language we're using for Clash.

Now the caveats... I personally don't know the exact steps to get it to run on the Mac. There are details involved. But if we can find someone who does Java on the Mac then they can figure out the minor steps needed. I'll see what I can do, but can't guarantee anything.

Anyone here do Java on a Mac?
If you're out there, FYI, Clash is java 1.1 at the moment, and the class files are available in a zip file.
Old October 24, 1999, 23:58   #4
My Wife Hates CIV
Civilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 23:23
screen shots???
Old October 25, 1999, 15:22   #5
Dino the Dinosore
Warlord

Local Time: 23:23
I've done some Java on the Mac, and I might be able to help a little. I don't have a lot of free time, but I can turn the java source files into an executable. Bigger problem is the graphics - I don't know as much there. What format graphics are you using?
Old October 25, 1999, 19:40   #6
Mark_Everson

MWHC:

Nope, no screen shots yet. We're still getting our act together on the graphics end. Some provisional map tiles are at http://www1.50megs.com/markeverson/map_tiles.htm . There is much discussion of such things at the forum.

Dino:

The 'graphics' are just drawn shapes using the awt so there should be No problem with them. If you get a chance to try it, I'd appreciate it...

Mark

[This message has been edited by Mark_Everson (edited October 30, 1999).]
Old November 12, 1999, 08:54   #7
Mark_Everson

Smash:

We now have a Mac version of demo 3 thanks to Dino the Dinosore. Info on demo 3 will be up shortly on the new Clash web page.

I would have emailed you this info, but your email info is blank. So the best I can do is hope you see this message. Email me if you want to try out the demo.

Mark
Old November 15, 1999, 23:45   #8
MacUser
Prince

Local Time: 17:23
Congratulations on your new demo! I gave a try at downloading Demo 3, buy it puked on me. Is the Mac version online yet, or is patience the word of the day? Thanks for thinking of Mac users in the development of your game! If you have any specific instructions on downloading the Mac demo, please let us know on the Mac Forum.

------------------
Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

Old November 16, 1999, 07:59   #9
Mark_Everson

MacUser:

The Mac version will probably be up in a day or so. Sorry about the tease... I'll post in the Mac forum when its up.

Mark