Old September 18, 2000, 22:52   #1
Roman
King

Local Time: 08:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Ctp2 Preview site
Hello everyone,

When I looked at www.activision.com/games/ctp2 I found a preview site. It contains some info in the FAQ that we already know, but also a short intro, nine new screenshots, three wallpapers an AVI trailer, an asset pack and links including one to apolyton.
The site sets the release date for November 2000, though says that this may shift.

Check it out.
Old September 18, 2000, 23:04   #2
Roman
King

The screenshots contain some new info. One (no.6)shows yet more excellent diplomatic options. You can ask your friend to attack a specific city or army, to pillage, or to mass troops.
It also appears that you can tell your city mayors to concentrate not only on gold, production, happiness, growth, or science, but also on defense, ofense, or producing wonders.
Old September 19, 2000, 00:23   #3
Slax
Prince

Local Time: 03:54
There are a bunch of new units listed in one shot. Also some improvements: Brokerage, Food Silo, Battlement. I'm happy to see they toned down the kelp beds to a darker green.
Old September 19, 2000, 01:32   #4
onepaul

eehhh... why do they have screenshots from CTP1 with some a new UI posted? can't belive they have the balls to make another attempt at something that is broken and cannot be fixed...
on the positive side, they have a link to Apolyton on their page!!!

---------
the above comments do not represent the views of Apolyton.net, they are just my god damn views... sue me, flame me...

------------------
only human...sigh

Old September 19, 2000, 02:03   #5
MarkG

take a closer look onepaul....

btw, our "official" thanks to activision for the front page link!

Old September 19, 2000, 13:33   #6
Roman
King

Thanks L.T. John,

I think nobody seriously doubts that the screenshots are genuine from ctp2, since ctp just doesn't have the borders, interface and options that are visible on the preview site.
It's great the preview site has been made public and will be frequently updated and that the release date hasn't been postponed so far despite all the rumors.
Old September 19, 2000, 15:42   #7
onepaul

ehhh, jes, what I meant is that the screenshots from the gameplay look a lot like the ones from CTP1 with a new UI... and I can't see the other ones up close because I get en error in my browser when I try to click on them... damn people, get some interpretive skills... kinda has a 1.5 feel to it... I really didn't want to write that since I haven't played the CTP2, so I KNOW that there will be new features implemented into the "new" game, but I based my opinions on looking just at the screenshots (gameplay; this is where a player spends most of his/her time, right?)! Look at Civ1 and Civ2, post some screenshots against one another and u would probably see the difference, post some screenshots of CtP1 and CTP2 (during gameplay) to an unexperienced player and he/she might notice a lot of similarities... it's been happening a lot of lately, game devs making 'expansion packs', 'sequels' etc. which most do not deserve my money (no I do not pirate any games, I might be ignorant and rude, but not a scumbag) Will I play the game? of course! (demo that is) will I buy the game, I believe I already answered that question in the other thread... I think that's about covers it...

------------------
only human...sigh

Old September 19, 2000, 20:35   #8
MarkG

onepaul

1) if you have a problem seeing the screens on the official site, see the ones we have right here http://apolyton.net/ctp2/screens1.shtml

2) it has been said many times that ctp2 will use the ctp1 engine. especially since ctp2 will be out a year and a half after ctp1(civ2 came out 3 years after civ1, right?) i prefer this approach than wait 2 more years to have a new 3d engine or anything like that. besides, most people agreed that the graphics did their work. there is no need to reinvent the weel in this case. for ctp3, yes, of course...

Old September 20, 2000, 00:22   #9
LT John
Prince

There are no CTP 1 screenshots on the CTP II page.

The page will be updated weekly with new additions to the historical pages, as well as new goodies for everyone to download.
Old September 20, 2000, 03:01   #10
Monkey
King

I thought the graphics for CTP were more than adequate for a civ game. The graphics werent the real important part of the game just that the game needed some tweaking in the user interface and the game rules. I'm glad that they decided to focus more on gameplay and user interface additions instead of graphics although some NEW CITY SYTLES would be greatly appreciated!!!! Hint! Hint! Oh well, Harlans graphics pack will do I suppose....
Old September 20, 2000, 09:25   #11
MidKnight Lament
King

Local Time: 18:54
Dead right. The graphics weren't tje problem, so I don't know why everyone's complaining that they're the very similar. If the gameplay is good, then the graphics will be more than adequate.

------------------
- MKL
Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org
Old September 21, 2000, 00:26   #12
Roman
King

I couldn't agree more about the graphics. We don't lack interpretation skills, it's just that the graphics don't really need improvement.
Old September 26, 2000, 22:53   #13
Roman
King

I think there has been a minor update to the ctp site. A new entry (bronzworking) has been added to the Egyptian period.
Old September 27, 2000, 00:11   #14
MidKnight Lament
King

Local Time: 18:54
Good pick-up, Roman. There's not much of interest there, but it's a very civ-like way of introducing us to new things on the site. I like it.

------------------
- MKL
"I'm OK. How are you? Thanks for asking, thanks for asking."
Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org
Old September 27, 2000, 18:04   #15
LT John
Prince

That's the plan- we'll roll out a small update each week that follows this Egyptian empire as it grows and passes through time. Early updates may not provide tons of new info that you guys don't know, but we've got a couple of exclusive things shelved away to keep you on your toes.

P.S. don't mind the typo in the Bronze Working entry. We'll fix it today.
Old October 5, 2000, 01:41   #16
Roman
King

Another addition to the CTP2 preview site. This time trade has been included in the egyptian period storyline.