Old November 23, 1999, 06:03   #1
dbett
Settler

Local Time: 23:25
Local Date: October 30, 2010
The best order to Win. Have a GO
I am interested to here some CIV2 kull strategies.

Me:
Build the hanging Gardens
Get Republic ASAP.

This allows a city (capital) to reach 8 very very early on. The Republic adds one to city size when in happiness. 3 Happy people is a good start for this. I focus heavily on the captial and massive settler building
Old November 23, 1999, 09:54   #2
Hodad

i usually expand like hell untill i have around 1/4 of the emerged territory with cities on it. i skip republic and switch to democracy as soon as possible. then i perfectonize my cities including a marine and cavalry wall around my cities (more because of barbs than because the AI.

------------------
Alien Infiltrate

Old November 23, 1999, 12:08   #3
Hodad

Build first two cities not ASAP. IMMEDIATELY.
Then, a phalanx, horseman, settler, wonder.
Use the settler to expand.
Build colossus.
Build Pyramids to double your growth.
Research Monarchy and then stride to Democracy.
Build Lighthouse.
Not in order, all ASAP.
Note:
My rules are edited both for wonders (all nil) and unhappiness factor (99 first unhappy at chieftain level).
Somehow, it makes the AI tougher to get at.

Old November 23, 1999, 20:54   #4
dbett
Settler

Interesting that you get monarchy first. I always left this, as Republic is only five discoveries away.

I think I need to play some humans.
Old November 24, 1999, 12:00   #5
Hodad

You see, I use monarchy because I have lots of military units exploring and republic wouldn't last at all.
Secondly, it doesn't allow war and still has lots of corruption.

Old November 24, 1999, 15:43   #6
jpk
Prince

One thing to watch out for is changing to Democracy while all your ships are still triemes or caravels. The unhappiness those ships cause can be a nightmare.
Old November 25, 1999, 01:10   #7
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:25
Personally i prefer Monarchy to Republic as well.... at least until I build Mikes Chapel... or some other improvement. I tend to stay in Monarchy until i research Democracy which is never too far away anyways.... hanging Gardens is a good early wonder.. i prefer it over Oracle but others will tell you differently. Tis the beauty of civ and the reason why you can play it over and over again..... so many different strategies to choose from
Old November 25, 1999, 04:12   #8
dbett
Settler

Cool. I will look a little further into the Monarchy thing. The main reason I like it because of the increased trade (better science) it has over Monarchy. I'm not a huge war man early on, so this helps develop tech quicker.
Heres a short list of wonders early on

1st Hanging Gardens
2nd Colossus
3rd Oracle (if possible)
4th Mick's Chapel
5th King Richy's Crusade

All in the Capital city. Should be 10-12 by now. Very big very early. HUGE SCIENCE

Dan
Old November 26, 1999, 05:19   #9
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:25
odds are in a MP game you won't get all of those especially in one city unless your opponents suck or have god awful land and luck.... the gardens is great especially for ics people ... the happiness early on is obvious... however one must prepare for railroad which is a pain sometimes and is why many prefer oracle b/c your building temples anyways but then theology is a problem

I say monarch;y and then rush for mikes chapel DUH!

However this is easier said than done.
Old November 27, 1999, 06:27   #10
ZhugeLiang
Chieftain

Depending on how the game is turning out from the start I normaly go for monarchy right away. It still allows you to use "martial law" where as republic doesn't, and republic also chews your resources. I play on deity most of the time so the unhappyness republic gives you is almost always too severe (untill mike's chap) I will normally expand->build a defender->build a scout->build a settler. All cities will follow that untill they I have about 6-8 and each city does it only once. And before each settler moves onto make another city they will develop 1 square of the city they came from, this seems like a waste of time but it pays off big. I like to have 3-4 cities buidlding the same wonder, if one of them gets it or another civ gets it, you can always just keep saving up and get somethin big without having to worry about beating someone else for it, anyways, this is a bit of a long post so, stop reading and go play some civ!

------------------
"There is no can't, only won't."
-Line from American Kick Boxer 2 (American Shaolin)