Old October 11, 2000, 09:50   #1
MarkG

PC GAMER UK Article on CTP2
many thanks to Blade Runner!!

PCGamer Autumn 2000 (UK version)
Call to Power II (page 38-39, in the magazine)

Those of you with partners are advised to be on your best behaviour for the next few weeks, and start stockpiling those brownie points. Why? Because Activision are putting the finishing touches to Call to Power II -- and we know what that means. It means that from the minute the shiny new CD copies its binary genius on your hard drive, the real world will cease to exist and nothing will matter but the acquisition of a new technology, the building of a Wonder or the vanquishing of an age-old nemesis. The physics of "real-world" time do not apply when you've connected yourself intravenously to a saline drip before starting to play.

Activision underlying philosophy behind the development of CTPII has been to refine rather than rebuild. They've attributed great importance to customer feedback - a commendable attitude - and introduced the changes that were most requested. Producer Doug Pearson explains:

"We've spent the last year refining what we developed in Call to Power. Based on all the feedback we had from Call to Power, the biggest areas of concern were a more intuitive interface, better diplomacy, play balance and game ramping. This is where we've spent the greatest amount of time. Our intention is to raise the bar for all other empire-building games - that's our goal with CTPII. We feel everyone will be happy with the changes we've made to the genre."

As a result very little has been done to the main engine. Instead, a number of tweaks and enhancements have been made to improve the interface and the nuances of how the game plays. For example, a city's influence over the surrounding landscape will now increase as the population grows, and borders between neighbouring states will be clearly defined. Many of the units have been given an overhaul in terms of graphics and animation but, in essence, the game's front-end will be largely the same as its predecessor. Some new victory conditions have been added, such as the science-based victory - this requires specific advances to be researched and special items to be placed at strategic points throughout the map for the victory conditions to be met.

Doug is particularly excited about the way diplomacy is being overhauled.
"Diplomacy has truly made leaps beyond what was available in Call to Power or in other empire-building games," he claims. "You can now really negotiate rather than just having the options of agreeing or disagreeing."

In CTPII it will be possible to make counter-proposals. This leaves unprecedented scope for haggling with advances and gold etc, and to perfect the art of bullying smaller civilisations into submission. For example, if a civilisation request an advance, you'll be able to demand gold or another tasty piece of tech in return. You can also threaten to take over a civilisation's city if they refuse to pay you gold annually - a kind of protection racket - and the chances of success will be increased significantly if you have a decent-sized army currently camped outside the city walls.

But it's not all bribes, threats and niceties. Sooner or later you'll need to get stuck in and fight your way to safety or supremacy. The combat model has been modified by adding a class system to the military units, which should banish those bad memories of your stealth fighter being taken out by a couple of archers. A further pleasing addition to the combat system is the ability to retreat from any engagement which you initiated. If the battle isn't going your way you can back out and regroup before making another assault.

CTP was notable for its unconventional warfare units. In CTPII, this will remain an important aspect of the strategy but few new units can be expected (other than the Emphatic Diplomat - like Deanna Troi of Star Trek fame, we reckon).

"We were very aware of the feedback from user groups to improve the existing units, in terms of balance, abilities, and how to defend against them."

So once again, the emphasis is on tweaking in rather than invention. One such tweak is that all stealth subversive and trade units will be able to see each other - unlike in CTP. This will mean that the presence of just one of these in a city will be sufficient defence against the other players.

Okay. So we've got minor improvements to the graphics and major tweaks to the interface, play balance, diplomacy and combat. Games of this kind have always been more about substance than form - so, providing the tweaks works well, there's every reason to get excited, despite the lack of the licence. Rest assured, we'll bring you the definitive review ass soon as we can.

--------------------------------------------------------
Doug Pearson Producer on CTPII, speaks freely to PCG.
PCG: Why should we be excited about CTPII?
Our intention is to raise the bar for all other empire-building games to follow.
PCG: What's the one feature you're happiest with so far?
I would have to say the diplomacy.
PCG: Which games have been your inspiration?
Civilization, CivilizationII, CivNet, Alpha Centauri, Age Of Empires and Age Of Kings.
PCG: If someone made a musical about your game, how would you feel?
I think I would feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
--------------------------------------------------------

=============
Window texts:
=============
1)
'Lend me your ears, or I'll kill you...'
A lot of time has been spent enhancing the diplomacy in CTPII, so look forward to bullying your foes into submission or negotiating complex exchanges. Can you make the word mightier than the sword?

2)
'Been around the world'
CTPII will include three scenarios in the game - including Alexander The Great, a World War II scenario, and a Détente scenario. There are also plans to release a couple of extra scenarios to the Web at around the time the game is launched.

Old October 11, 2000, 09:56   #2
MarkG

some quotes i found interesting, and which i think are new stuff...

the scientfici victory
quote:

science-based victory - this requires specific advances to be researched and special items to be placed at strategic points throughout the map for the victory conditions to be met.

just a nice choice of words
quote:

the art of bullying smaller civilisations into submission

the emphatic diplomat unit(more info activisioners!!)
quote:

the Emphatic Diplomat - like Deanna Troi of Star Trek fame, we reckon

what's Ditente????
quote:

a Détente scenario

Old October 11, 2000, 10:52   #3
Pintello
Warlord

Local Time: 08:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hi MarkG,

I think you can add the followint quote to your list of new things learned from this article.

"There are also plans to release a couple of extra scenarios to the Web at around the time the game is launched."

Timothy Pintello

Old October 11, 2000, 13:05   #4
Joseph
King

Local Time: 01:54
To WesW and friends.

Could Med 4 become a scenario of CTP 2 instead of a Mod? As you know, some of the scenarios in Civ 2 have completely changes all of the units, but the Wonders are still there, as well all of the improvments.

------------------
Old October 11, 2000, 15:15   #5
Slax
Prince

Local Time: 03:54
This scientific victory sounds good. I'd like to know the "story" behind requiring special items at strategic locations. I hope its not too far-fetched.

I hope the AI is good at achieving it.

What was the scientific victory condition in SMAC?

[This message has been edited by Slax (edited October 11, 2000).]
Old October 11, 2000, 17:25   #6
lev
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Slax on 10-11-2000 03:15 PM

Achieving the next step in human evolution; a pretty good ending, IMO.
[This message has been edited by lev (edited October 11, 2000).]
Old October 11, 2000, 17:26   #7
lev
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Slax on 10-11-2000 03:15 PM
This scientific victory sounds good. I'd like to know the "story" behind requiring special items at strategic locations. I hope its not too far-fetched.

I hope the AI is good at achieving it.

Old October 12, 2000, 20:23   #8
LT John
Prince

One change since the article was written. The World War II scenario has been replaced with a Japanese Feudal Lord scenario. We hope to release the WW2 scenario online after the game ships.
Old October 12, 2000, 23:40   #9
Chronus
Prince

You must be joking. Why the sudden shift so close to the grand opening?

Okay, okay I suppose this won't be too bad if you guys do indeed make this available on-line at the time of the game's release. Still, I find it strange. WWII has been kind of a Civ standard in my eyes and I am looking forward to playing it in CTP2.
Old October 13, 2000, 01:25   #10
MidKnight Lament
King

Local Time: 18:54
Perhaps they were running out of time before release, and they wanted to make sure they did the WW2 scenario justice.

------------------
- MKL
"I'm OK. How are you? Thanks for asking, thanks for asking."
Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org
Old October 13, 2000, 08:38   #11
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 09:54
About
quote:

The World War II scenario has been replaced with a Japanese Feudal Lord scenario.

and the surprise of MidKnight Lament and Chronos, may I suggest you an hint?

What's the actual more succesful strategic game, mix of real time combat and strategical turn based decision?

Oooonk! (loud sound simulated) Right! The gentleman who said Shogun: Total war win the contest.

Do you need I say more?

Not a bad move for me, BTW: I'm a bit tired of WW2 scenery.

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
Old October 13, 2000, 09:15   #12
Slax
Prince

The switch from WWII to Japanese Feudal Lord scenerio may be because you have to be much more careful with detail in the WWII scenerio compared to the Japanese scenerio, and thus it is easier to make.

In other words, the World War 2 scenerio will be scrutinized to a greater degree.

Old October 13, 2000, 09:44   #13
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 04:54
quote:

Originally posted by LT John on 10-12-2000 08:23 PM
after the game ships.

Where have I heard that before...
Old October 13, 2000, 11:18   #14
MadWoodster
Warlord

Me thinks they are after the Asian market
Old October 13, 2000, 16:55   #15
Pin
Warlord

I DONT WANT NO F*****G JAPANESE SCENARIO!!!!!

THAT IS A SCENARIO FOR JAPANESE HISTORY INTERESTED PERSONS, WWII CONCERNS EVERYONE!!

SO PLEASE!
LAUNCH THE WWII SCENARIO TOGETHER WITH THE GAME, ALTOUGH I HAVE INET, I KNOW OTHERS WHO DONT SO IT WOULD BE NICE FOR THEM ALSO TO BE ABLE TO OBTAIN SUCH A MAJOR SCENARIO....
Old October 13, 2000, 17:14   #16
Slax
Prince

Please don't yell, Pin, we can hear you.
Old October 13, 2000, 17:39   #17
deleted
Warlord

I actually like the scenario switch. I agree with the previous posters, who stated that it was made becuase the WWII scenario would require more work.
Old October 13, 2000, 20:32   #18
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

I agree, WWII has the potential to be more detailed.

Perhaps they want to start with something less complex.

I would rather have the scenario done right - besides if the coding is easier to use, there will not be a shortage of fan-created WWII scenarios. Based on the capabilities of many of the people here on-site, I'm not too worried either.
Old October 14, 2000, 15:48   #19
Slax
Prince

I feel the most important thing about scenerio design at this stage is that the game designers and programmers get some idea of the difficulties in making a scenerio.
Old October 14, 2000, 16:03   #20
sammyboy7

This is OUTRAGEOUS!!

WHO THE HECK WANTs THE JAPANESE SCENAIO! ONE OF THE MAIN REASONS I BUY THE GAME IS FOR SCENARIOS, AND I HAVE TO DL. THE MOST IMPORTANT OF THEM ALL?
WHAT A CONSPIRACY TO DEPRIVE ME OF MY WELL-DESERVED PLEASURE!
and no, however much this may sound like im joking, im actually serious..
i need that WW2 scenario!!

------------------
WWAAZZAAAAAAAAAAPP!!!!
sam87@quincymail.com
OR!!!
sammyboy7@homestead.com

I think sammyboy has the worst signiature
-the 1212 problem
yeah, baby yeah
-sammyboy7

DUKE RULES!!!!!

Come visit the worst website in the civilization community with this adress....
http://thecivroom.homestead.com/thecivroom1.html

Old October 14, 2000, 16:05   #21
sammyboy7

oh, btw.
thx for the suggestion, naismith. i think i'll buy ttl war before ctp2.