Old October 14, 2000, 10:38   #1
samurai
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Trade routes
I find it wery anoying in CtP that the trade routes never seem to go where I want them to go.And sometimes through another civs land,when it can go through my territory.Anyone knows if this will be fixed?
Old October 15, 2000, 00:13   #2
Stratesford
Warlord

in ctp i just built roads where i wanted them to pass
Old October 15, 2000, 17:45   #3
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:55
I addressed this somewhat in the Med mod. Now trade routes will prefer roads over water, so at least you can keep your internal routes away from pirates. That's about all you can do.
Old October 17, 2000, 03:13   #4
phoenixcager

They are very vulnerable. It would have been better if they had made it such that the trade route only becomes visible to foreign civs under special conditions e.g the discovery of both end-cities of the route, or only special units can detect them.

Old October 17, 2000, 09:37   #5
Slax
Prince

Local Time: 03:55
phoenixcager - thats a good idea. You could also add a wonder which makes all trade routes visible. If the trade routes were visible to certain units, you would only see a small piece of the route (in the view of the unit). This would certainly eliminate some of the clutter on the screen, and make it harder to pirate trade routes.

The way CTP is now, you can figure out where enemy cities are by trade routes, even though you may not have been near the cities in years.
Old October 17, 2000, 11:52   #6
Dida
Prince

In CTP I don't do trade routes, when I needs the goods I just where they are and send out either Settlers, or Troops, or both.
Old October 18, 2000, 15:39   #7
samurai
Chieftain

Is it possible to win CtP at deity level without trade routes unless you wipe out all the civs before the figthing really starts?
Old October 18, 2000, 16:28   #8
Pintello
Warlord

Hi Dida,

I have always thought Trade Routes were one of CTP's major strengths, right up there with stacked combat. I like the idea that I have to position my cities to have access to trade goods so that I can build monoplies and get major boost in trade that of course result in better science rates.

One thing I hope Activision did in regard to Trade Routes was to make Pirating Trade Routes carry with it a much higher penalty. In a close game, the person that can keep the most trade routes up and running has a definite advantage. One of the things that I did when I was at war with an adversary was to pirate all there reachable trade routes, even if I was unable to launch a direct attack. I found that often times, if I could keep their trade routes down long enough, they would often ask for peace.

I have recently been playing some TOT and Trade Routes, Stacked Combat, and Public Works were major things that I missed. Given my recent experience, I think that I can say with confidence that between TOT and CTP, CTP is hands down the better game. I am looking forward to CTP II.

Timothy Pintello
Old October 18, 2000, 16:46   #9
samurai
Chieftain

TOT?
Old October 19, 2000, 00:44   #10
phoenixcager

TOT = Civ2: Test of time