Old October 30, 2000, 10:57   #1
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 10:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Yet another preview!
Yet another gaming site, Eurogamer this time (no I never heard of it before either, but that's what search engines are for ), released a preview about CtPII. Most of it the info there is not new but there are some interesting things to note. Here's some quotes:

On the Great Library:
quote:

On the ease-of-use front, the great library (which contains information on all of the game's many technologies, units, buildings, wonders and other features) has received an overhaul, making it even simpler to navigate. You can browse through the tech tree with ease, compare your current government type with the various alternatives to see if it's worth switching, and single out particular items that you want to build and have the game highlight the technologies you need to research first.

On Feats of Wonders:
quote:

[...] and instead of setting out to build them [=feats] you will likely stumble across them by accident, as they are not documented in the manual or the in-game library.

On Multiplayer options:
quote:

Veteran strategy gamers will also be glad to know that, as well as a full range of different AI personalities to take on, you will also be able to play over the internet or a LAN with up to eight players. Head-to-head modem play is also possible, but sadly the hot-seat and play-by-e-mail options have been stripped out this time round, although it is possible that they will be added back in with a patch at some point. The way that companies keep removing the useful play-by-mail options from their turn-based strategy games, you would think they had shares in British Telecom...

WTF? No play-by-email or Hotseat? That s*cks!

Last but certainly not least, there's also a bunch of new screenshots, the most interesting being the one showing the new and long-awaited city screen. Personally I never minded the city screen very much, I very much appreciated the CtPI tabs (once I got used to them), but I must admit it's less bad than I had anticipated
[This message has been edited by Locutus (edited October 30, 2000).]
Old October 30, 2000, 12:31   #2
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 03:55
NO PBEM????

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!

Why is it necessary to strip email capabilities out of the game? Is it such a big deal to keep the coding in for that feature?

This feature had better be patched in the near future!!!

It's possible that the game is hitting crunch time for a pre-Christmas release, and (bug-free) coding needed to be written for that feature. I would be happy to wait for a patch that will address this issue (However - It took 6 months to get the PBEM feature for CTP1).

But it also seems to me that including PBEM would of been a no-brainer. CTP2 has been in the works for some time now - I would hope for some kind of explaination as to why this is not being implemented.

Old October 30, 2000, 14:44   #3
Max Webster
Prince

Have any you folks checked out the Ctp Multiplayer forum lately? PBEM is very popular and I being an avid PBEM player would very much like to see it added to Ctp2.

Also there is some screw ups in Ctp1 PBEM that should be looked at and fixed for Ctp2 if it's included.

1. You should not be able to open other players turns.
2. You should not be able to see the Icons of the next players turn.
3. You should not be able to see their Population, Gold, PW numbers at the end of a turn.

Please include PBEM!
Old October 30, 2000, 15:53   #4
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

...and have an option to turn off ruins altogether!!!
Old October 30, 2000, 16:55   #5
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 08:55
WHY GET RID OF HOTSEAT?!

I love playing against my friends- while not paying internet bills and having to start again when the computer decides to disconnect itself!

It can't be that much trouble to implement can it?

------------------
...And if the British Commonwealth and its people live for a thousand years, man will still say "this was their finest hour"- Winston Churchill.
Old October 30, 2000, 19:34   #6
meriadoc
Warlord

Local Time: 04:55
I, too, loved the hotseat capabilities when they were added to CTP1. There were times when I wanted to sit down and play the game on deity level controlling two civs all by myself. I hope that they add that feature back in, as well as the pbem support.

------------------
The Electronic Hobbit
Old October 30, 2000, 23:38   #7
MidKnight Lament
King

Local Time: 18:55
I can't believe they're taking Hotseat and PBEM out. I'd really like to hear Activision's excuse for this.

I think this is quite poor. I don't believe that we should have to wait for a patch.

------------------
- MKL
"And of course Henry The Horse dances the waltz!"
Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org celebrates it's First Birthday! All welcome.