Old October 31, 2000, 12:24   #1
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Local Time: 09:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
From the IGN Preview! This sounds very very familiar!!!
quote:

The problem with our build is that the city autopilot didn't really seem to make the best decisions.

Exactly what I have thought it will turn out to be! (was that english?)

quote:

CTP2 lets you open a tiny window and browse through a half-dozen tabs to find the particular data you need.

I hope this time the tabs are better organized. When I want to change the building list I need to view all the information I need for making building descisions. And all those infos have to be on one screen!

quote:

Now units armed with spears will be unable to damage flying units.

This is great!

quote:

Although the basic diplomatic options are present the moment you meet a rival, you should still strive to establish embassies with each competing nation. Your diplomats have a little more responsibility and influence this time around

Oh god do I still have to send that lame diplomat hundreds of turns around?

quote:

In the build we've got, the diplomatic AI isn't all that bright or cooperative. Frequently we'd ask for some sort of trade with the AI, be rejected, and then presented with the very same proposal next turn. Oh well...

The same problem existed in CtP1! I offered him peace he rejected. Next turn he offered peace to me! This made me always furious
I fear very much that this will stay so when the game ships and I fear even more that we have lots of diplomatic options but the dumbest people to "diplomat" with!
This is very very uncool!

The good thing is what they said about the AI, but I have reservations there. CtP1's AI was praised in the beginning and it turned out to be stupid!

Be sure that the Diplomatic AI is smart! Real smart! If not....
It would be a reason for me to return the game!

ATa
Old October 31, 2000, 12:26   #2
Atahualpa
Emperor

Why is it not possible to establish embassies over diplomatic negotiations? Why? Why? Why? Why?
Cause it would be much cooler than?

Ata
Old October 31, 2000, 15:59   #3
Big Dave
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 02:56
quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 10-31-2000 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Atahualpa on 10-31-2000 11:24 AM
The good thing is what they said about the AI, but I have reservations there. CtP1's AI was praised in the beginning and it turned out to be stupid!The good thing is what they said about the AI, but I have reservations there. CtP1's AI was praised in the beginning and it turned out to be stupid!
after a few months of playing ALL AI's turn out to be stupid
Even Med Mod 3/4 or whatever Wes's up to now?

------------------
Big Dave

My karma ran over my dogma.
Old October 31, 2000, 16:35   #4
Atahualpa
Emperor

Dont play it down Mark! In a weekend there can be lots of diplomatic negotiations and I see early if the other side is stupid or not. Come on, when I make an offer, he rejects and makes the same offer next turn there HAS to be something wrong! Because then the AI clearly doesnt know at a point what it wants.
CtP1 had this problem, I wont buy CtP2 if it has the same prob.

Besides now that I have thought of it, establishing embassies over diplomatic negotiations would be much more helpful since there would be less micro!
I just hate to move the Diplo around for ages. Only to get kicked a few tiles before the city I want to establish the embassy. That sucks!

I can only advise Activision not to screw the AI up! Just look at the Civ3 Poll what the most crucial element is: AI!!!

So far the regular AI has been positive reviewed but other AI parts such as the mayor or diplomatic AI have had only negative previews so far. Makes me worried!
All I want/need is a great game!

Ata
Old October 31, 2000, 17:47   #5
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by Big Dave on 10-31-2000 02:59 PM
Even Med Mod 3/4 or whatever Wes's up to now?
i'm sure that if the same amount of people who played lots of ctp also played with the med mod, after a few months they would find some "winning paths"...

Old October 31, 2000, 17:54   #6
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by Atahualpa on 10-31-2000 03:35 PM
In a weekend there can be lots of diplomatic negotiations and I see early if the other side is stupid or not. Come on, when I make an offer, he rejects and makes the same offer next turn there HAS to be something wrong! Because then the AI clearly doesnt know at a point what it wants.
CtP1 had this problem, I wont buy CtP2 if it has the same prob.
the thing is that there are lots of not noted factors:

which level was he playing? what was the situation? did anything important happen in the two turns?
quote:

I just hate to move the Diplo around for ages. Only to get kicked a few tiles before the city I want to establish the embassy. That sucks!
it makes some sense doesnt it? if you're ancient greece, how easy is it to keep close diplomatic relations with china???

Old November 1, 2000, 01:52   #7
MarkG

sorry, but i wont base my judgment on such things as ai behaviour and mayor intelligence on a "weekend" preview....

i mean, how many civ games can you play in a weekend?

Old November 1, 2000, 01:58   #8
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by Atahualpa on 10-31-2000 11:24 AM
The good thing is what they said about the AI, but I have reservations there. CtP1's AI was praised in the beginning and it turned out to be stupid!The good thing is what they said about the AI, but I have reservations there. CtP1's AI was praised in the beginning and it turned out to be stupid!
after a few months of playing ALL AI's turn out to be stupid

Old November 1, 2000, 05:28   #9
Atahualpa
Emperor

quote:

the thing is that there are lots of not noted factors:[..]

Thats true, so I warned them not to screw it up! The returned-request thing has nothing to do with difficulty I guess.

quote:

it makes some sense doesnt it? if you're ancient greece, how easy is it to keep close diplomatic relations with china???

You are missing the point here. I did not ask if it made sense or not, I noted that this relationships could be handled with the diplomatic screen. Admit it, it would be much less micro if you havent to move a diplo around for making embassies.
At least in the modern age, Diplos should become obsolete and embassies should be handled via the diplomacy window. It cant be that I have to move a diplo 50 turns in the modern world to get him from Europe to China!

Ata
Old November 1, 2000, 11:46   #10
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by Atahualpa on 11-01-2000 04:28 AM
Admit it, it would be much less micro if you havent to move a diplo around for making embassies.
of course, but would it be more realistic?
quote:

It cant be that I have to move a diplo 50 turns in the modern world to get him from Europe to China!
if you dont have a fast connection(railroad or better) why should you?

Old November 2, 2000, 01:35   #11
Daniel Frappier
Prince

Local Time: 08:56
Ata and BD raises very valid concerns.

Some of the issues mentionned (diplomatic & City mayor) were never taken cared correctly in the past (either by Microprose, Firaxis or Activision). They are notoriously difficult to program and/or (where in the past) given low priorities by developpers.

For those reasons when Activision made the announcement about the City Mayors i never expected that the feature would work or that i would use it.

Bottom line i will wait after the game release before passing judgments but for the above reasons i do not expect intelligent City Mayors in CTP II anymore than i would expect Microsoft to release a bug free version of Windows.