Old October 27, 2000, 14:34   #1
MarkG

feat of wonder: the discovery of gunpowder
http://www.zdnet.com/gamespot/images..._screen014.jpg

if you get gunpowder first, for the next 25 turns the city walls of other nations cities will be less effective against you

Old October 27, 2000, 15:01   #2
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 10:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
GRRREEATT!!!
Old October 28, 2000, 03:13   #3
MidKnight Lament
King

Local Time: 18:56
That's pretty cool. I think I'm going to like Feats of Wonder. As long as they're not too powerful.

------------------
- MKL
"And of course Henry The Horse dances the waltz!"
Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org
Old October 28, 2000, 03:16   #4
MidKnight Lament
King

Hey, I just noticed that you now set what your advance goal is, and then it puts an asterisk beside everything you still need to get there. That's better than having to keep going to a separate screen every time to see it. Good work!

------------------
- MKL
Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org
Old October 28, 2000, 03:33   #5
MarkG

url to the screenshot?

Old October 28, 2000, 04:26   #6
MidKnight Lament
King

It's in the screenshot you posted, Mark.

------------------
- MKL
Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org celebrates it's First Birthday today!!! All welcome.
Old October 28, 2000, 11:00   #7
Nikolai
Deity

I can see that on some of the screenshots, it's no black places on the map, but the time is 3000-2000 BC.
My conclusion is that it must have been used cheats (of course ), but could someone from Activision give me some hints of what theese cheats will do (other than this)? PLEASE!!

------------------
Who am I? What am I? do we need Civ? YES!!
Old October 28, 2000, 16:43   #8
Daniel Frappier
Prince

Local Time: 08:56
Good Idea, but it would not really qualify as a feat of Wonder, would it ?

It's more like in Civ II when the first player to discover Philosophy had a free advance. A feat of Wonder is when somebody DOES something, being the first player to go around the world is a good example but in this case it's only a bonus associated with the tech.
Old October 28, 2000, 17:52   #9
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by Daniel Frappier on 10-28-2000 04:43 PM
and since when is there an accurate and strict defination of a "feat of Wonder"??????
come on.....

just remember how much a game changes when someone gets gunpowder in a game, not to talk about the "real life" importance of the discovery of gunpowder....

Old October 28, 2000, 19:26   #10
lago

I think it's a good idea in theory, but 25 turns? That's a long time.

How about having an advantage until somebody else also acquires Gunpowder?

Old October 28, 2000, 19:38   #11
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by lago on 10-28-2000 07:26 PM
remember that the game is now over 500 turns(or something around there) so it could not be that important. the good thing is that probably this can be changed easily if it turns out to be problematic...
quote:

that could be even more "dangerous". on easy levels the game could end with the discovery of gunpowder!

dont know... other thoughts?

Old October 28, 2000, 20:46   #12
MidKnight Lament
King

quote:

That's what I was thinking, but then I realised that they didn't actually define how much of an advantage you'd gain. It's a matter for play balance, I'd imagine.

------------------
- MKL
Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org celebrates it's First Birthday today!!! All welcome.
[This message has been edited by MidKnight Lament (edited October 28, 2000).]
Old October 28, 2000, 21:11   #13
Monkey
King

quote:

It's more like in Civ II when the first player to discover Philosophy had a free advance. A feat of Wonder is when somebody DOES something, being the first player to go around the world is a good example but in this case it's only a bonus associated with the tech.

In this case that SOMETHING would be the first to get gunpowder. I would like it if there were more "philosophy" techs that gave bonuses like in civ2.
Old October 29, 2000, 00:04   #14
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by MidKnight Lament on 10-28-2000 04:26 AM
It's in the screenshot you posted, Mark.
hehe, you're right!!!

just another of those small things that change your (civ) life...

Old October 29, 2000, 12:56   #15
Daniel Frappier
Prince

Mark,

I did not wanted my remark to sound negative, what I wanted to know in fact was: Is it you that took the liberty of calling that gunpowder thing a feat of wonder or is it Activision ?

Just curiosity in any case it doesn't matter what the features is called.
Old October 29, 2000, 19:35   #16
meriadoc
Warlord

Local Time: 04:56
I have always considered the discovery of gunpowder, by anyone, to be important. True, it does not seem to be as important as circumnavigating the globe.

However, when you consider that the first nation to discover gunpowder has a significant technological advantage until people start to learn how to properly defend against this new weapon I think it becomes more important.

I mean let's face it, in real life when gunpowder was first discovered, most other people discovered that their defenses were suddenly inadequate and their weapons were obsolete - thus the "Feat of Wonder."

------------------
The Electronic Hobbit
Old October 29, 2000, 23:18   #17
Daniel Frappier
Prince

I always wanted something similar for the discovery of Iron. It had a conparable impact in history as gunpowder but was never that important in Civ II or CTP I.
Old October 29, 2000, 23:24   #18
Paulypav
Warlord

I love these so-called "Feats-of-Wonder". Do we know if there are supposed to be more of them.

------------------
"In war, there is no substitute for victory."
- Douglas MacArthur
Old October 30, 2000, 00:56   #19
Chris Horscroft
Chieftain

I'd say discovery of gunpowder (or at least, its use in fire-arms) was more significant than circumnavigating the globe. Firearms would have to have been the main factor in allowing Europeans to dominate the Americas, India and China where long establiushed civilisations were overthrown in the space of only a few decades, and usually by small groups of adventurers/colonists.

It really is a balance issue how much advantage to give to the discoverer. I'd say they should get 25 turns or until another civ gets it, whichever comes first.

But perhaps as soon as a firearms equipped unit is defeated in any battle by a civ without firearms, the battle-winner should be given firearms automatically - that would force some caution on the part of the more advanced nation! (Don't think it would really work, but nice to think about)
Old October 30, 2000, 01:11   #20
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by Daniel Frappier on 10-29-2000 11:56 AM
I did not wanted my remark to sound negative, what I wanted to know in fact was: Is it you that took the liberty of calling that gunpowder thing a feat of wonder or is it Activision ?
look at the screenshot(url in my first post) for the answer
quote:

Just curiosity in any case it doesn't matter what the features is called.
that was exactly the point i was trying to make. sorry if sounded to harsh

Old October 30, 2000, 01:57   #21
Diodorus Sicilus
Warlord

Any civilization without gunpowder is EXTREMELY disadvantaged against any civilization that has it. Merely being in contact with gunpowder doesn't mean you can get it automatically. The American Indians were in contact with Gunpowder Civilizations for almost 400 years (1500 to 1900, approx) and no Native group ever developed the ability to manufacture their own small arms or ammunition. Both the Indians (American) and the Zulus defeated gunpwoder-equipped forces (Little Big Horn, Rosebud, Ishandhlwanna) and none of the victories gave them the ability to effectively use the firearms they captured. So, getting gunpowder first should give you an advantage against everybody, which seems to be the gist of the Feat of Wonder cited in the screenshot, but in addition any non-gunpowder force should get a minus modifiers to the combat calculations against a gunpowder-armed force.
The same isn't true of the discovery of Iron. Iron working was known as far back as the time of Homer, but Homer calls it "the common (base) metal" because while it was used for tools and implements, bronze was still used for weapons and armor. Reason? Unless you have good quality control, too much smelted iron will be either brittle enough to shatter, or too soft. It took a long time for the techniques of working iron to be constant enough to completely supplement bronze - even late Roman Empire armor (1500 years after iron was first used!) included bronze or brass pieces. The real immediate effect of Iron Working is to make metal tools and equipment available to a much wider selection of the civilization, because iron ore is much more widely spread than the tin and copper that comprise bronze: once you know how to work it, iron is much cheaper than bronze or brass...
Old October 30, 2000, 10:53   #22
Nikolai
Deity

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Horscroft on 10-29-2000 11:56 PM
Firearms would have to have been the main factor in allowing Europeans to dominate the Americas, India and China where long establiushed civilisations were overthrown in the space of only a few decades, and usually by small groups of adventurers/colonists.

Eh, Chris; Actually it was the Chineese who invented the gunpowder, the europeans just refined it. China could have resisted the europeans if they just had tried to make more out of the tecnology.

------------------
Who am I? What am I? Do we need Civ? Yes!!
[email]birteaw@online.no[email]
Old October 30, 2000, 19:36   #23
Chris Horscroft
Chieftain

Thanks Diodorus, I'd forgotten about the Zulu defeats.

OK, I withdraw the idea about giving conquerors of firearm-equipped forces gunpowder! I only proposed it as a balance issue.

Nikolai, your point is correct, and I agree with it, and that is why my original post said that it was firearms that gave the advantage to the Europeans. (I also said that it was the use of gunpowder in firearms that was more important than circumnavigating the globe).

Unfortunately, CTP gives you musketeers when you get 'gunpowder'. The advance should be called 'firearms'. Otherwise, it sounds like the feat of wonder, and its effect, is about right

Old November 1, 2000, 01:25   #24
samurai
Chieftain

At first I thought the idea was great, but now I don`t know.One of the greatest things about civilization is that everyone finds their own way.Someone likes it scientificly, others productively and others like fighting.If this feats of wonder makes it better to go one way instead of the other, then I don`t like it

Thats what I like about the discovering feats of wonder. It doesn`t give advantages for your way of "civ life" like an advantage with gunpowder would make for the ones who like to fight.

The solution to this would be to have a lot of these feats of wonder. Lets say that in CtP gunpowder and Age of Reason gave different advantages.Two sciences it took about the same time to discover, but not the same sciences you needed to get either gunpowder or Age of reason.
Old November 1, 2000, 14:06   #25
Slax
Prince

Local Time: 03:56
It seems to me that trying to perform all the Feats of Wonder would be a pretty poor tactic, unless they all had enormous advantages.

------------------
Light the fuse!
Old November 1, 2000, 15:07   #26
samurai
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Drakenred on 11-01-2000 12:16 PM

although to a degree even the Tec trees tend to have that "do things in this order for the best chance of succes" feel to them.

Drakenred

This was what I ment to say was nececary to avoid with the feats of wonder.

But don`t agree with you though. Just somewhere in the middle of the tec tree that everyone does about the same.
Think its more like that with the governments.Everyone following the same governments

Old November 1, 2000, 17:00   #27
Drakenred
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Slax on 11-01-2000 01:06 PM
It seems to me that trying to perform all the Feats of Wonder would be a pretty poor tactic, unless they all had enormous advantages.

I ment more along the line of an advance that already gives you one advantage in combat when you discover it first that abruptly gives you a secondary advantage (FoW) while your overhauling your military to take advantage of the new tec(Granted i dont have a problem with this specific FOW negating some fortification bonuses, in the realworld the introduction of new wepons often negated existing defences untill they could be replaced or overhauled) basicaly if you get Gunpowder, you already have one set of advantages just from the new units posible with Gunpowder. Now the FIRST person to get Gunpowder gets a combat bonus on TOP of that bonus. Granted that the bonus only ocures when you least lickly to take mutch advantage of it,(most ground units only move 1-2 over undeveloped terain)
Old November 1, 2000, 17:31   #28
Drakenred
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by samurai on 11-01-2000 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Drakenred on 11-01-2000 12:16 PM

although to a degree even the Tec trees tend to have that "do things in this order for the best chance of succes" feel to them.

Drakenred

This was what I ment to say was nececary to avoid with the feats of wonder.

But don`t agree with you though. Just somewhere in the middle of the tec tree that everyone does about the same.
Think its more like that with the governments.Everyone following the same governments
actualy i was generalising about all Tec-trees

you tend to have a basic patern when your starting a new TBSG of doing each "Reasurch level"(or items with simular R&D "Costs" in the game by going first for Resurching items that provide the best "Sci" bonuses(to speed your R&D eforts) then "production" (production-moral-food-monies) factors, not necisarily in that order) bonuses then "Millitary" untill you get the feel of the games individual tecktree(and even then your optimal R&D patern does not often vary from that basic format). {i would prefer to have the game somewhat randomly alocate the R&D points,(ie you chose where most of the points go based on a proiority scedual, but the computer also randomly alocates a share of the points in order for the game to be a touch more realistic.} and ocationaly you do find items in the tec tree, depending on the game, (ie ship-oceanographic researth on a map that is 90% land, or certain units that work well on small maps but are usless on large maps in the early game)that are relitivly useless to you when they crop up in the early stages of a game, but you can scoop them up later via trade or by droping a turn (or less) of R&D time when you are coming up on an advance that you can actualy use a tec level or 2 later.

Drakenred
Old November 2, 2000, 01:16   #29
Drakenred
Warlord

quote:

Personaly i am a bit more concerned about the "FOW" resulting in a "Do thies "FOW" in this order and you will win 99.99999% of the time" game breaker, although to a degree even the Tec trees tend to have that "do things in this order for the best chance of succes" feel to them.

Drakenred