Old October 26, 2000, 15:39   #1
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 08:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
CTP2 not looking different enough....!
Judging by the screenshots does CTP2 look all that different to the original?

It even seems that there is no "medieval" (castle) city style AGAIN! This really annoys me as around half the civs should use this. I know this is fixed with a patch in the original, but should we pay for a second game we only have to patch up again?

And some units look exactly the same as the original too.

Surely the whole point of a sequal is to change it!

------------------
...And if the British Commonwealth and its people live for a thousand years, man will still say "this was their finest hour"- Winston Churchill.
Old October 26, 2000, 15:49   #2
MarkG

quote:

sorry for the language, but...
so f*********** what????

the point is for the game to PLAY better.....

Old October 26, 2000, 18:29   #3
red_jon
NationStates
King

Of course the point is to play better, but it would be nice for them to supply new graphics as well.

------------------
...And if the British Commonwealth and its people live for a thousand years, man will still say "this was their finest hour"- Winston Churchill.
Old October 26, 2000, 18:59   #4
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by red_jon on 10-26-2000 06:29 PM
Of course the point is to play better.
glad we agree on that
quote:

but it would be nice for them to supply new graphics as well.
beware that not all screenshots(if some of those appearing the last few days) are of the latest builds
you might want to check out our screenshots and art pages
http://apolyton.net/ctp2/screens1.shtml
http://apolyton.net/ctp2/art1.shtml

Old October 27, 2000, 02:17   #5
phoenixcager

quote:

Originally posted by red_jon on 10-26-2000 03:39 PM
Judging by the screenshots does CTP2 look all that different to the original?

And some units look exactly the same as the original too.

Surely the whole point of a sequal is to change it!

No!
Like MarkG said, the point of a sequel is NOT to change the way the game works or looks, but to improve on the basic idea. It definitely does NOT mean changing everything, as you seem to imply.

Old October 27, 2000, 04:49   #6
MidKnight Lament
King

Local Time: 18:56
I'm with you, Mark. I wish people would get over the graphics thing. It's tiring.

------------------
- MKL
"And of course Henry The Horse dances the waltz!"
Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org
Old October 28, 2000, 00:37   #7
meriadoc
Warlord

Local Time: 04:56
Two things. One, I'm getting sick of hearing about people complaining how CTP2 won't be "different" enough from CTP1. Two, red_jon, if you don't like the graphics that much, then change them yourself.

------------------
The Electronic Hobbit
Old October 30, 2000, 17:24   #8
red_jon
NationStates
King

The main thing that annoys me is that the city styles are the same- i.e with the absence of a medieval city style (like the un-modified CTP1).

Sure we can change the graphics ourselves/ download patches and generally DO ACTIVISIONS WORK FOR THEM- they're producing the game, it shouldn't be up to anyone outside Activision to have to modify it to improve it.

Don't get me wrong, I am eagerly awaiting the realease of CTP2, the lack of visual change in many units/ cities just dissapointed me a bit.

------------------
Old October 30, 2000, 21:05   #9
El Xadier
Settler

Activisions works very hard for a good gameplay and you are dissapointet, because there some same graphics from CTP? Brrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuuuu.......

Make it better and then we see....
Old October 31, 2000, 00:49   #10
Bkeela
King

I don't get you all. If you wan't good game play, and not concerned with graphics, then why stray away from the original Civ's, or even Alpha Centauri?
Good graphics is the only card Activision has to play.

Bkeela.
Old October 31, 2000, 01:39   #11
DarthVeda
Emperor

quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 10-26-2000 03:49 PM
Quote:
sorry for the language, but...
so f*********** what????

the point is for the game to PLAY better.....
Usually I associate sequels with improved graphics and gameplay, you see, I like a full package deal. I haven't seen something of this order since, oh, Duke Nukem 1 and 2 or other side scrollers where the gameplay and graphics were similar. But you see, they were telling a STORY so they could get away with it...
Old October 31, 2000, 03:26   #12
MarkG

ok, this is the time where we start to explain to darth why the sea is blue and the sun is shining....

darth, are you living in a different world where civers are like fps fans? well, in this world, civers have always cared about gameplay first. look at the last civ3 poll:
AI: 33%
Customisability: 12%
Diplomacy: 10%
Graphics Engine (3d): 1%

Old October 31, 2000, 12:37   #13
samurai
Chieftain

hmm....Let me think. CtP.....CtP2.....CtP.....CtP2. Something tells me that this is just about the same. CtP would still have been the same game if all the units had changed looks.
To expect a lot of fancy looking things in CtP2 would be like expecting Luke to have a light saber in all the rainbow colors in Star Wars V.
AND WE ALL KNOW HOW COOL THAT WOULD BE
Old October 31, 2000, 20:54   #14
meriadoc
Warlord

Let's once and for all explain to Darth why we don't care about improved graphics as much as other things.

Because by not wasting time redesigning the graphics, the Activision team can devote more time to something important, like the AI.

Let's face it - what makes me want to play CTP over and over? It ain't the "cool" looking Stealth Bomber, it's the AI that tries to beat me.

------------------
The Electronic Hobbit
Old November 1, 2000, 18:21   #15
red_jon
NationStates
King

But the graphics do affect the game if they horribly slow doen the game (like the future ages in CTP1).

------------------
Old November 1, 2000, 18:35   #16
meriadoc
Warlord

You're right - graphics do matter if they slow down the game. Therefore, I should have said that we don't care about "fancy, snazzy" graphics.

------------------
The Electronic Hobbit
Old November 1, 2000, 23:26   #17
sammyboy7

well, frankly, i do care about fancy graphics. the graphics in ctp were good enough for me, however. If they were like the ones in civ2, i wouldn't buy the game, obviously, but ctp has fancy enough graphics for me FOR A TURN-BASED GAME. I expect more from an rts, and even more from an rpg. just so you know, paray, tell your teammates this.. shogun:total war will be cheaper than ctp2 come christmas, so its easier to put it on your christmas list. ctp2 had better be damn good if you want me to get it.

Old November 3, 2000, 01:43   #18
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 09:56
If CTP2 offers no greater variety or challenge than Shogun:Total War then I too won't bother buying it. Since even the original buggy CTP1 managed to exceed that criteria though I have every confidence your fears are unfounded.
Old November 4, 2000, 22:24   #19
DarthVeda
Emperor

You know Markos, DN 1 and DN 2 are not FPS. They're sidescrollers, like Mario Bros.

Secondly, I bought civ 2 expecting the game to look different even though it carried over a lot of ideas from Civ 1. I didn't expect VGA graphics and square units again...

I tell you for all it's improvements it would have been shelved a lot sooner. I still play civ2 on a regular basis.

What this tells me is that Activision has no skill whatsoever in determining how to evolve the graphics engine (ever heard of friggin hexes?) beyond serving their GUI needs (which they botched AWFULLY in ctp1).
Old November 5, 2000, 02:46   #20
MidKnight Lament
King

...Except the only thing wrong with CTP graphics was they were too hard to customise.

They don't need to change them, whereas with Civ to Civ 2 there was plenty of room for improvement. I think it's an unfair comparison.

I think hex would be cool too (here's hoping for it in Civ 3), but that's a gameplay issue, not a graphics issue, so it's also unfair to argue it as such.

------------------
- MKL
"And of course Henry The Horse dances the waltz!"
Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org .............All welcome.
Old November 5, 2000, 09:18   #21
MarkG

darth, if you always have a face when you post here, why do you do keep doing it?

Old November 5, 2000, 12:41   #22
Narck
Emperor

Local Time: 03:56
Just because most civers don't care much about graphics doesn't mean everyone should feel the same way.

There is no need to get angry at or ridicule people just because they are hoping for fancier graphics. We are all different, and have different expectations.

As for my own opinion on this matter, yes, I agree improved gameplay is the more important factor, but I do hope that everything will be improved for the sequel, including graphics.