Old November 3, 2000, 17:07   #1
Gedrin
Warlord

Local Time: 08:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Pyaray: Civ specific units?
Pyaray:

1. Can units be marked such that only one civ can build them... even if it requires other special conditions?

By special conditions I mean this:
In CivII you could specify an advance with prereq's no no which differs from nil nil in that no no meant you could not research it. However it could be given with the scenario editor/cheat menu and in this way certain units were obsolete even before they could build them.

2. Also can buildings go obsolete? Or at the very least can they be removed with a SLIC command?

3. Do buildings have build_only_one (or even better build_only X) flag seperate from the capitol flag? By that I mean can you flag an arbitrary building (ie not the capitol) such that you can only build one in the empire?
(A slic SLIC programmer could likely do this with:
city.building; INT BuildingType(building); INT CityHasBuilding(city, building); INT IsBuildingInBuildList(city, buildingtype); VOID KillBuildingFromBuildList(city, building)
But its annoying and requires at least 2 loops to
1. find the city with 'building' if any and if found
2. remove 'building' from the queue of all other cities
Additionally if the sweet sounding 'building started' always plays when city.building triggers then the insert does not cause it to trigger... and well no one has asked me for such a thing and I have no idea how the AI will react so I cannot be bothered)

Oh and one final question. Is there any SLIC documentation we can get beforehand so us SLIC programmers out here can dream of all the fantastic things we can do.
I know my CTP is nothing like off the shelf with tech dissemination; bureacracy taxes; pop migration; wartime refugees and terrorist strikes.
Old November 3, 2000, 21:09   #2
neblig
Settler

quote:

1. Can units be marked such that only one civ can build them... even if it requires other special conditions?

Yes. One of the new features of SLIC in CTP2 is the mod function. There are several mod functions where you can specify whether individual cities can build a Wonder, building or unit. There is also one to restrict certain players from having specific advances.

quote:

2. Also can buildings go obsolete? Or at the very least can they be removed with a SLIC command?

Buildings cannot go obsolete, but you can remove them in SLIC.

quote:

3. Do buildings have build_only_one (or even better build_only X) flag seperate from the capitol flag? By that I mean can you flag an arbitrary building (ie not the capitol) such that you can only build one in the empire?

No, but you can mimic that functionality in SLIC.

quote:

Oh and one final question. Is there any SLIC documentation we can get beforehand so us SLIC programmers out here can dream of all the fantastic things we can do.
I know my CTP is nothing like off the shelf with tech dissemination; bureacracy taxes; pop migration; wartime refugees and terrorist strikes.

No documentation beforehand, and I can't say if there will be any official documentation after that game is released. However, I've copiously commented my SLIC scripts for the scenarios in CTP2 so hopefully people will be able to learn by example.
Old November 6, 2000, 11:40   #3
Gedrin
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by neblig on 11-03-2000 08:09 PM
There are several mod functions where you can specify whether individual cities can build a Wonder, building or unit. There is also one to restrict certain players from having specific advances.

Wow. Oh, man... my mind is racing at the possibilities this opens up.

This is so cool.