Old November 4, 2000, 20:09   #31
Mike the Nuke
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I agree with most of what Dave is saying. I also have the same feelings as 3rdTrail. We, my family and friends and I play the CTP I game almost exclusively in the Hot Seat mode. Without that mode, I would have uninstalled the game and junked it like all the rest of the out dated games.

DrDanger is nothing but a danger to himself. Waht a JOKE! And the same goes for that guy that seems to side with him (brother, I think).

Yes, CTP I and II are only games. We, the consumers have taken the time to purchase and play CTPI and give our feedback to Activision and it's group of programers, yet they solve only part of the problems and eliminate options that their customers want, even when they were available in the first game. Why do we get so upset? Because we enjoyed the original product or saw its potential. We waited extremly long for the sequel only to find the sequel, though it may fix some problems, creates others by eliminating functions or options important to us. And to have these things eliminated just to meet a 'bean counters' dead line.

VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY DISCOURAGING!

Internet is slow and unreliable (opponets drop off and you don't know who you are competing with), single player passes time. but AI's are too predictable. They either are too easy or too dificult (because they are encoded with cheats). People verse people is the only option.

In defense of Activision. They are not the only software company to produce sub par (at least to the consumers feelings or desires) sequel software with bug. Mr Gates and Microsoft do it all the time! Microsoft, though, seldom removes options that they had that consumers liked.

I would suggest that Activision continue to improve CTPI with some new patches, rather than abandon the game entirely. Yes, the game had some flaws that might not be completely fixable, but they could be improved. I'm sure many feel that CTPII will also be abandoned within a year or so after it's release. Another $40-50 down the toilet. It was amazing how much CTPI improved with the 1.2 Patch (addition of Hot Seat). Why stop there. Other games, like the SIMS sell add on software (ie Sims "Livin' Large") to upgrade their game, you could do the same. The PBEM and Hot Seat modes should be addressed seperately. From what I've read on other bulleton messages, PBEM has some dificyult to fix bugs. I haven't read of the specific bus with Hot Seat, nor did I ever run across any in the hundred plus games we played on my computer. I'm not trying to glaze out the PBEM deal, as it is important to many. But, maybe if the two were seperated, each could eventually get fixed instead of being bagged together as 'trash' and discarded. The greater than 8 civs I read about would probably created an increase memory requirement. Maybe some code in the program could check the host computer for amont of free memory. If it has enough, 'x' number of civs above 8 could be added. If not, the 8 civ limitation would be in effect. There are thousands of computer hardware and cpu combinations out there. I'm sure there are several differnt combinations being used by those commenting on this site. It would be impossible to make a game of r any software that could accomodate 100% of all machines, but things could be done to ensure that most are accomodated. If the canals are not water ways then I am clueless of what they are, but they are obviously important to a lot of customers. As water ways, I can clearly see their importance in a strategic simulation game as without them, inland cities have no access to shipping (as in CTPI). Where I live we have cities supported by shipping via canals (or deep water rivers)

Oh, by the way, my title Mike the Nuke has nothing to do with Nuclear Weapons (although I know how they work and how they are made,etc) or options I use in the game. It was the only name I could come up with, not already in use. I supervised and operated Nuclear Power Plants aboard a Nuclear Aircraft Carrier for 10 years in the service and worked as a Weapons Safety Supervisor later before I retired. I am very familiar with aircraft (their abilities advantages, disadvantages), ships (carriers, submarines, etc), weapons (tomahawks, varios bombs, etc). And for those who have catch my spelling errors, all I can say is my typing sucks and I often forget to use the spell checker option. So, sorry for the mispelling at times.
Old November 4, 2000, 20:41   #32
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by Mike the Nuke on 11-04-2000 07:09 PM
I'm sure many feel that CTPII will also be abandoned within a year or so after it's release. Another $40-50 down the toilet
i dont see how $40-50 are wasted in they are spent on a game with which you play for a year...

Old November 4, 2000, 22:16   #33
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 04:58
quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 11-04-2000 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike the Nuke on 11-04-2000 07:09 PM
I'm sure many feel that CTPII will also be abandoned within a year or so after it's release. Another $40-50 down the toilet
i dont see how $40-50 are wasted in they are spent on a game with which you play for a year...
I played it for 2 hours the first time I played it. 4 Hours later that week. 6 hours later on in the year trying to see if I could stand it long enough to win... I c o u l d n ' t. Working that many hours (12) on minimum wage would just be barely enough to buy the game.

On another note, Counter-Strike, a mod for half-life which I did not have to pay for and therfore didn't have a right to care about bugs in, was less buggy and more fun than ctp was. I have spent over 300 hours playing it and no end is in sight.

Now, why can't I get that kind of satisfaction out of a Game I pay for? I should get at least that much with interest. I should have the right to expect a bug free game. I should be able to expect prompt respones from the company. I have the right to expect patches for the money I have paid. None of these things were forthcoming in CTP. I have seen all 3 in Counter-Strike, something I paid exactly $0 for.

If CTP2 turns out to be a quality product.. I will buy it. That of course, is going to be after at least a month or two of evaluation of reviews, player comments, and of course, after the first couple of patches come out
Old November 4, 2000, 22:25   #34
DrDanger

Well..I guees its Ok For you folks to SLAM away at Activision.and/ Or .MARK the Apolyton-Administrator..but not a wee bit back at anyone else by me?

I read these threads and LET ME TELL YOU WHAT!...some Jerk-off's attack continously.... Activision and Mark...WELL>>I'm, a WEE Bit Defensive and Of No Real "danger "to anyone..Man..you Thinned Skinned Children absolutely Cannot have any Fun..GEEZ Louise!
I am soo sorry you fellas are so uptight and Militant over Activision...
Me I am Happy..
So..I'll be Good..But firm in My Beliefs about CTP!
So such as this Thread goes...If it is Closed..its as much your fellas Fault as mine..For I am Merely Defending My Right As A Consumer..I love this Game..you Dont..
I guess its left to see who Pisses Harder?

I am sorry..I must have forgotten The Immature BOYS here!!
LOL..Just Kidding
God Bless
Brother Bruce
[This message has been edited by DrDanger (edited November 04, 2000).]

Old November 4, 2000, 22:32   #35
DarthVeda
Emperor

d'oh
[This message has been edited by DarthVeda (edited November 04, 2000).]
Old November 4, 2000, 22:36   #36
DrDanger

quote:

Originally posted by Big Dave on 11-04-2000 02:45 PM
Do you bother to read these posts or do you just hit the Reply button and start typing inflamitory drivel? He didn't say that his company released bug-free software, he said they support it after the fact. And the lack of support from Activision is what most of the complaints are about.

So since I can see that you have a 7th grade reading level I'll simply ask if you got your lobotomy at a 2 for 1 sale. Or will you show me that you are capable of reason? Otherwise you will be simply ignored.

Big Dave...I was referring to you..you have stated to me in the past that you would be fired if you performed the type of work activision puts out..And yes..I have a 7th grade education ...and beyond..and am a VERY SUCCESSFUL Area Manager..in Charge of over $6 Million per year...over 40 employees work for me..and I understand what type of Rage fuels your type...I am merely Defending Staunchly Activision and the Great Game called CTP:1
as much as your attempting to Staunchly Bludgeon the Reputation..

So...Have a good evening!
God Bless

Brother Bruce

Old November 4, 2000, 22:39   #37
DarthVeda
Emperor

The question is how many people will buy a game that does not perform as advertised. The answer is obviously quite a few because they were impressed by what we (those who did not like CTP) were not.

Opinions are like *******s. Everybody's got one. We're gonna be debating this till CTP2 comes out, probably longer.
Old November 5, 2000, 00:33   #38
DrDanger

quote:

Originally posted by DarthVeda on 11-04-2000 09:39 PM
The question is how many people will buy a game that does not perform as advertised. The answer is obviously quite a few because they were impressed by what we (those who did not like CTP) were not.

Opinions are like *******s. Everybody's got one. We're gonna be debating this till CTP2 comes out, probably longer.

I quite agree..
I'll accept that remark...because it is NOT Attacking Activision or Mark..from Apolyton..
Have a Blessed Evening my Friend

God Bless

Brother Bruce

Old November 5, 2000, 02:55   #39
Big Dave
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 02:58
quote:

Originally posted by DrDanger on 11-04-2000 11:33 PM
I quite agree..
I'll accept that remark...because it is NOT Attacking Activision or Mark..from Apolyton..
Have a Blessed Evening my Friend

God Bless

Brother Bruce

I don't attack Activision, and have never attacked Markos. I do however criticize Activision's actions. As for rage, why is it that several other people on this board find me to be level headed and objective, and you're the only one who thinks I'm angry?

The fact that you're in management explains alot (no flames intended). You have to toe the company line and sing the company song.

Oh, BTW, before to talk about rage, take some leadership courses. It is very destructive to make some off-handed insult then add j/k. No, you weren't just kidding, and everyone knows it, especially the intended victim. And if you don't know it then you're lying to yourself.

Again, the previous two paragraphs are not intended to be personal attacks, they are intended to give you a different point of view to consider.
Respectfully,

David
Old November 5, 2000, 02:57   #40
Big Dave
Prince

Have you been posessed by aliens or something? This sounds much too reasonable to be the DarthVeda we all know and love!

quote:

Originally posted by DarthVeda on 11-04-2000 09:39 PM

------------------
Big Dave

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me!
Old November 5, 2000, 03:03   #41
Big Dave
Prince

I might also add that I have drawn some ficitonal parallels from other industries just to take Activision out of the picture, but no one has commented on them. I have asked questions in the format of a parabel, and gotten no answer. Is no one in here thinking for themselves? Or do you just not get it?

Who in here is willing loan me $5,000?
Old November 5, 2000, 04:03   #42
DrDanger

quote:

Originally posted by Big Dave on 11-05-2000 01:55 AM
I don't attack Activision, and have never attacked Markos. I do however criticize Activision's actions. As for rage, why is it that several other people on this board find me to be level headed and objective, and you're the only one who thinks I'm angry?

The fact that you're in management explains alot (no flames intended). You have to toe the company line and sing the company song.

Oh, BTW, before to talk about rage, take some leadership courses. It is very destructive to make some off-handed insult then add j/k. No, you weren't just kidding, and everyone knows it, especially the intended victim. And if you don't know it then you're lying to yourself.

Again, the previous two paragraphs are not intended to be personal attacks, they are intended to give you a different point of view to consider.
Respectfully,

David

Your a lieing sack of ****..Dave..You attacked me..just then as You have before..and I have seen your cutting Mark down..as for Management..well..you manage your way son..I'll manage mine..
And you just dont get it..I PLAYED YOU!!!
L.O.L..NOT J/K!!
I played you like a punk..because you are so easy to get going

I've been thru several leadership courses..One referenced knowing your personnel..getting them Motivated..I motivated you...
Ahhh...I just knew I'd sing and you would dance!

As for who-ever-gives-a-Hoot--I dont care what anyone else thinks..I say you shouldnt cut Activision down...
Im a grown man..your are too..(I think you are at least??)

You just come off whining too much for me..so I play your Number..and up you dance for me!

Brother Bruce

Old November 5, 2000, 04:42   #43
DrDanger

Here are a few examples of what Im talking about insulting people and attacking my Big Buddy Dave!

1)Big Dave
Prince
Texas, USA
Apr 99 posted June 12, 2000 20:18

Someone who is smart enough to figure out how to work a computer without a mouse, AH. I guess you must have a Mac 'cause you can't figure out how to use a real computer? Of course if you had any real brains you'd be able to say more than one thing.

2Big Dave
Warlord
Texas, USA
Apr 99 posted May 15, 2000 14:17

Steve, if you've been following these forums for any length of time you would already know that I have a number of complaints about CTP, not the least of which is that they didn't finish the game. Not just polish it, but get it out of beta.
My gripes with AH and Veda are that they are no more than a couple of trolls screaming "CTP stinks!" every chance they get. No constructive criticism, no "I don't like this feature", just whine and complain and try to start flame wars.

Big Dave

3)Big Dave
Warlord
Texas, USA
Apr 99 posted May 30, 2000 18:17

Oh, did I stop paying attention to you, poor little troll? So like a good little puppy you try to come up and lick me in the face again? Pah! You cowards hiding behind the Internet are all the same. I'll bet you kiss up to people when you meet them in person, where they can see you for what you really are.
I make a general comment and you claim that it's aimed at you? Don't you feel self-important? I'm not hypocritical. Unlike you, I state what my complaints are, not just play the same line over and over again like a broken record. Also unlike you, my mind is open, not just my mouth.

So go somewhere and download a life, little one. Or come play some more until you recognize that you are way out of your league.
[

4)Big Dave
Civer
IP:
posted September 23, 1999 07:26
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My point, as you can easily see if you have half a brain (something I doubt based on the rest of your posts) is that I don't mind negative comments, but why does CTP suck? You decline to give any answer. Which means either that you don't know how to read, or that you are a pathetic little troll just begging for attention.
So I am going to take your advice. I won't bother reading or replying to your posts any more. You are no more than a dry breeze in the desert screeming "I'm a hurricane, better run!!!" You are less than nothing, and not worthy of any attention, except perhaps from your mother who should spank your 12 year old behind. Post something intelligent after you get out of puberty and we'll talk then.

Good bye

sO YOU SEE..YOU TOO HAVE ATTACKED...

BROTHER BRUCE

Old November 5, 2000, 04:53   #44
Grandpa Troll
supporter
PolyCast TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Immortal Factotum

Hello..I just wanted to ask if the new Game is going to be a reasonable duplication of the Original..or completely Different?

I Love to do Modifications..But I'm by No means any sort of Expert..more of a Novice

Thanks

Troll

Old November 5, 2000, 05:01   #45
Grandpa Troll
supporter
PolyCast TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Immortal Factotum

I just got done checking the messages..and saw someone named "Troll"..really must have ticked someone off..I'm here to learn...so its not me!
C Ya All 'Round

Troll
Old November 5, 2000, 20:47   #46
Big Dave
Prince

I said I hadn't attacked Markos or Activision, just Activision's actions.

Read

Oh, and BTW, if you try taking what I say at face value we'll get along a lot better. No personal attacks were intended by those two paragraphs. I wanted you to step outside your regular thought patterns and take a second look at some things. No more, no less.
------------------
Big Dave

[This message has been edited by Big Dave (edited November 06, 2000).]
Old November 13, 2000, 01:10   #47
Big Dave
Prince

Now that Dr Danger has destroyed his own credibility he's "no longer registered for these forums" (check his profile) and I'm getting little "references" from Troll? Someone's attempting to play head games here.......

------------------
Big Dave

Old November 13, 2000, 01:43   #48
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by Big Dave on 11-13-2000 12:10 AM
Now that Dr Danger has destroyed his own credibility he's "no longer registered for these forums" (check his profile) and I'm getting little "references" from Troll? Someone's attempting to play head games here.......
actually, DrDanger is Troll, he changed his login...

Old November 13, 2000, 02:52   #49
Nemo
Prince

how come Dr Dangers "PM" button links to Big Dave? AND both of their home pages are http:// ?
hmmmmm....
[This message has been edited by Nemo (edited November 13, 2000).]