Old November 16, 2000, 12:56   #1
Azreal

The world map sucks!
It seems so small and there is a ton of wasted space at the top. I tried to use that large 24 civ world map you can download for CTP I but there is an "unexpected end of file" error when you try to load it... too bad that was a really nice world map.

Anyone out there working on a better world map for CTP 2?

Old November 16, 2000, 16:07   #2
lev
Warlord

Local Time: 08:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I haven't looked at it yet, but I'm not surprised - a standard Mercator-type flat projection does distort things a lot, making landmasses near the pole too big and nearer the equator too small.

I think what we need is a map that takes some liberties with landmass sizes based on the number of historical civilations that have risen there.

The British Isles need to be quite a bit bigger, for example, and Europe should have room for more than one civ. Asia and Africa, North America and Australia can probably be a bit smaller. Maybe I'll try out the map editor and see what I can come up with...
Old November 16, 2000, 17:25   #3
MSB
Chieftain

Any Civ game like this needs a good world map, Iev is right. If anyone can come up with one for CTP2, or if they can modify an "old" map to be compatable with CTP2 it will make the game far more interesting and beleivable.

And Great Britain and Europe DO need to be big, even at the cost of geographical accuracy. The whole point of these games is to simulate real history, and if that means making the historically important parts of the world a bit bigger than they really are it's worth it for the enhanced gameplay (in my opinion)

Who can identify with playing on a fictional map where nothing really matters and no place in the world is interesting, because it's all randomly generated and has no real history behind it? I much prefer the world map. This is a part of the game that can not be neglected, surely!

Does anyone agree, or am I a lone voice on this?
Old November 16, 2000, 17:35   #4
zaz
Warlord

Local Time: 03:59
I made the 24 civ one for CTP. As soon as I get CTP2 and some free time, I will make a new one.
Old November 16, 2000, 17:47   #5
MSB
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by zaz on 11-16-2000 04:35 PM
I made the 24 civ one for CTP. As soon as I get CTP2 and some free time, I will make a new one.

ZAZ, I've not got the game myself yet, but I'll look forward to that, mate!

Obviously I've not seen the CTP2 world map, but it seems to me that any good world map would have the equivalent of Suez and Panama canals in. Would you include these in a map you made yourself?

Any Civ that controls one or both of these essential points would have a major economic and military advantage, as Britain (with Suez) and the United States (with Panama) did in real life.