Old November 16, 2000, 16:02   #1
rockville
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Smeagol, I hear you. The problem is, I think, the rise of strategy guides. Now the concrete things you want to know about (Tank: Attack 5/Defend 3/Move 3, for example) aren't in the manual anymore.

CTP2 is no exception. The manual is great for stuff like "The more food you give your population, the happier they'll be" but short on specifics, resorting to things like "Consult the Great Library for specifics".

The back of the tech poster is extremely helpful, however. I think I'll be consulting that more often than the manual, which, after reading last night, I'm pretty sure I'll never need again.

You and I are probably in the vast minority of people who even crack the manual, most people preferring to just jump right in. But I do long for the old Civ 1 days of tables and actual statistics...

Of course, this is not strictly a game-related phenomenon. Seen a Microsoft Office manual lately?
Old November 16, 2000, 17:05   #2
meriadoc
Warlord

Local Time: 04:59
I've skimmed through the manual and I have one question. I couldn't find so much as a blip in either it or the Great Library regarding Mutually Assured Destruction - you would think that such an important feature regarding Nukes would at least be mentioned. Did I miss something?

------------------
The Electronic Hobbit
Old November 16, 2000, 19:43   #3
Smeagol
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:59
Rockville:

Thanks for the info... that's pretty much what I was figuring the manual would be like. I'm very scientific by nature and I like to be able to see the underlying formulas and all the statistics.

Obviously as you mentioned that would prohibit them from releasing a hint guide in the future with this information. A shame but as long as the game is good I don't mind all that much. I guess I'll find out in a few weeks when I'm finally out of debt and can buy the game.

Old November 16, 2000, 22:08   #4
Chronus
Prince

I'm just glad they provided a manual. The last few games I bought required me to print out the manual via Acrobat which I never do.

For crying out loud ... I need something to read while sitting in the bathroom.

Old November 16, 2000, 22:30   #5
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 04:59
LOL!!
Old November 17, 2000, 00:20   #6
vlad
King

Local Time: 01:59
The manual is well written and very simplified. Of course that leaves open sales of an after market user guide.Start writing now, make some cash
Old November 17, 2000, 01:11   #7
Smeagol
Chieftain

So how's the manual?
Probably an odd question, but an important one to me. I find that for every civ game so far I have ended up making my own manual of sorts since the ones provided have been grossly inadequate when it comes to the important details of the game. So how's the manual that comes with CTP2?
Old November 17, 2000, 01:27   #8
markgame
Settler

I don't know about "every civ game" but certainly the manual in CIV2 was very extensive, is that one of the games you are speaking of? Certainly it wasn't "grossly inadequate" to use your phrase.

Anyway, the manual is very good, and combined with the reference chart on the poster there is plenty of information. The online "Great Library" rounds out the package.
Old November 17, 2000, 02:57   #9
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by meriadoc on 11-16-2000 04:05 PM
I've skimmed through the manual and I have one question. I couldn't find so much as a blip in either it or the Great Library regarding Mutually Assured Destruction - you would think that such an important feature regarding Nukes would at least be mentioned. Did I miss something?
not sure if the manual has something, search the GL for "target" or something similar.