Old November 16, 2000, 04:15   #1
Drakenred
Warlord

Local Time: 08:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Game1-Day1
Ok i admit it, i Imediatly found something about the game that, Frankly, ****** **** ****** and ******* **********

and yes it is a Major bug, that no Halfway compitent programer would have made!

The Game will not Properly minimise in Alt tab!

as soon as it minimises, it promptly pops back to normal size!

thus i have to Save then Quit every time i stop to make notes!(sigh)

THIS MAJOR PROBLEM NEEDS TO BE RECTIFIED IMEDIATLY!

(Joking, while it is anoying, i do understand Why the designers did this on a multi-player game, if your runing a a hack to cheat its harder to use it if you cana just Alt-tab to get to the hack, and this game uses enough Function keys and others that using a keybord hotkey is risky)

Edited note: I WAS JOKING About this being a problem folks! sorry!

ok for the Review,

First game is set at Beginer, im taking a look at the Tutorial helpfull hints,

8 civs, gigantic map

Starting Tec of Toolmaking, Agriculture, Stoneworking, Religion, Shipbuilding, Bronzworking

R&D choices were Writing, *Balsitcs, Slave labor, Masonry

Building a Warior becuase of its relaticly low cost comapred to the hoplite, not going with the Managers yet (i have one Settler left doing exploration) after building the city

Ok let me let you in on how i tend to start a new City, i tend to pop 3 wariors, (one scout, one patroll, one city defender, then if i have it, Granerie to help pump up the size, otherwise i try for any other basice improvment, ultill i get to size 3-4 then i start poping Setlers untill i get a city layout i like

we will see what the "Default" manager does

ok so far so good,

3 Wariors, and hes doing a granery!

Built the second city, puting this manager on Production to see what he says, hes doing a Warior,9probably to get it out fast, witch is fine with me) Incidentaly im my second city is as far from the first as posible while still alowing me to have continual borders, basicly im hoping to do a land grab first, then we will see.

the second city is on the waterfront, (Boston) ironicaly, its on a hook oc land that resembles Mass, exept for one detail, im basicaly in the middle of Horse country. all open planes, with few real obsticals exept for isolated hills and mountains

hmmmm

it dona seem to want to build hoplites though!

And it seems to insist on building happyhouses when i have a hapines score of 80, 79, and 79! although this is probably more of an indication of the AI not realy having a beter choice

incidentlay i did find the tutorial popups to be faily usefull

ok i just ran into the bug that was mentioned earierl, lets see what happens

ok i bypased it by opening and closing the CD tricking it to Auto-play

ok while overall so far i cant fault the AIs choices, (does seem a bit happy(ness) happy if you catch my Drift) i tend to override its coices quite a bit, i suspect, however, that once you get past the initial couple of cities(and have a real selection of inprovments for the AI tochose from!), you can put your new cities on auto-piolot and let them grow themselfs into shape. If the AIs builds are going to be simular, you can probably forget about the AIs Cities revolting on their own, its not gona happen floks, the AI is its own best freind!

ok this time it worked fine,

As for the interface, i do like it, you get to see fairly quicly what the stats on a tile are without clicking it,(just hover and look down and too the right) and a quicki overview of the units on that tile is 2 clikcs (or less) away

Movment, Frankly i like it, i have yet to acidentaly send one of my units racing to the wrong end of the map, (the click& drag took a bit of getng used to, but i still prefer it to the old way) Kudos!

built the Coracle, not a teribly impresive boat, but it will get me over to that nice chunk of rock over ther that seems to be anice sized landmass and drop a unit or 2 onto it

BTW Kudoes on the background Art! although some of the squares did look, well, Square.

noted the Bug mentioned earlier,(again) however, i was able to bypass it (again)simply by poping and closing the CD drive on my PC its happend 2 out of 7 times,

odly enough i have not seen any goodie huts, but that, (Frankly) is fine with me! (as long as im not loosing them to my ai oponents!LOL)

Its now 2 bugs out of 8 tries, and im not realy sure what is trigering it, although like i said, when it happens, Autoplay tends to bypass whatever is cuasing the bug, so its probably not that big of a problem

and yes, the Landmass seems to be a fair chunk of land

also Resurtch seems to head you into R&R choakpoints, hopfully this trend will continue, because i thend to prefer a few botle necks in the Tectree to keep people from rusing to develope one or 2 prime tecs.

it also seems that the AI managers were trying to get to 82 hapiness when they build stuff, befor they relent and switch to something else, Hmmmmm (its probably a bit too early to realy coment on this right now, though, it may have just been a coincidence, as ive said, the AI realy did not have too mutch to chose from early on)

one point on PW management, it may not seem to make a whole lot of sence to build a farm/mine/nets/shoping centers when your sitng on a size 1,2, or 3 City, but when you hit 4 you should probably go ahead and build them.

More later, i need to sleep!

Drakenred

[This message has been edited by Drakenred (edited November 16, 2000).]
Old November 16, 2000, 04:54   #2
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by Drakenred on 11-16-2000 03:15 AM

thus i have to Save then Quit every time i stop to make notes!(sigh)

THIS MAJOR PROBLEM NEEDS TO BE RECTIFIED IMEDIATLY!

eeer, what are you talking about? i always have notepad, photoshop and perhaps word open too and alt-tab works fine...

perhaps you get this because you dont have anything else open. try opening a notepad first and then starting the game. although i think if you do ctrl+esc(opens start menu) is will minimize the game without any problems

Old November 16, 2000, 05:27   #3
MarkG

quote:

Built the second city, puting this manager on Production to see what he says, hes doing a Warior,9probably to get it out fast, witch is fine with me)
note: if you have something in your build queue and change the mayor setting, the mayor will NOT change the build queue. it will wait until it is empty, and then decide what to built
quote:

And it seems to insist on building happyhouses when i have a hapines score of 80, 79, and 79! although this is probably more of an indication of the AI not realy having a beter choice
it can also be that through hapinnes you get bigger growth, which is also a priority in the "default" mayor
quote:

one point on PW management, it may not seem to make a whole lot of sence to build a farm/mine/nets/shoping centers when your sitng on a size 1,2, or 3 City, but when you hit 4 you should probably go ahead and build them.
whatever the size, any tile improvement helps

btw, in case you didnt notice, the mayors handle the placing of tile improvements too

Old November 16, 2000, 06:07   #4
Pyaray
Call to Power II Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 00:59
quote:

Ok i admit it, i Imediatly found something about the game that, Frankly, ****** **** ****** and ******* **********

Actually, that's a DirectX / WinAPI issue more than a game issue. Either way, I can tell you how to get around it, and why it's happening. What's happening is that the focus doesn't get fully switched away from the game, because it's doing something and therefore doesn't respond immediately to the windows message. The way to get around this is when you hit Alt+Tab to not let go of the ALT key until after you can see the Alt+Tab menu pop up and you can see if you have the right app selected. If it still is on CTP2 it will simply go back to the game when you release Alt, you can hit Tab to select a different program, and don't release Alt until it's selecting the program you want. It should work fine, it always has for me.

Pyaray
Old November 16, 2000, 10:11   #5
Stratesford
Warlord

Pyray... you r up this late?
Old November 16, 2000, 12:36   #6
Drakenred
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Pyaray on 11-16-2000 05:07 AM
Actually, that's a DirectX / WinAPI issue more than a game issue. Either way, I can tell you how to get around it, and why it's happening. What's happening is that the focus doesn't get fully switched away from the game, because it's doing something and therefore doesn't respond immediately to the windows message. The way to get around this is when you hit Alt+Tab to not let go of the ALT key until after you can see the Alt+Tab menu pop up and you can see if you have the right app selected. If it still is on CTP2 it will simply go back to the game when you release Alt, you can hit Tab to select a different program, and don't release Alt until it's selecting the program you want. It should work fine, it always has for me.

Pyaray

That will probably take care of the problem, Thanks,

BTW why do i ocationaly have to Use autoplay (poping the CD in and out) for the game to work,
Old November 16, 2000, 12:42   #7
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 04:59
If you find that ALT-TAB doesn't work, try CTRL-ESC, as it is a way to get out of direct-x games and force the windows menu to come up (same as touching the windows key but a LOT more powerful).
Old November 16, 2000, 17:24   #8
Pyaray
Call to Power II Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 00:59
quote:

Originally posted by Stratesford on 11-16-2000 09:11 AM
Pyray... you r up this late?

I'm immortal, I don't sleep.

Pyaray

Old November 16, 2000, 18:07   #9
St Swithin
Chieftain

The truth is, Pyaray is a Borg.
Old November 16, 2000, 22:18   #10
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 04:59
FIGHT -FIGHT-FIGHT-FIGHT!!!!

lol
Old November 17, 2000, 01:02   #11
Drakenred
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 11-16-2000 04:27 AM
Quote:
Built the second city, puting this manager on Production to see what he says, hes doing a Warior,9probably to get it out fast, witch is fine with me)
note: if you have something in your build queue and change the mayor setting, the mayor will NOT change the build queue. it will wait until it is empty, and then decide what to built
quote:

it can also be that through hapinnes you get bigger growth, which is also a priority in the "default" mayor
quote:

whatever the size, any tile improvement helps

btw, in case you didnt notice, the mayors handle the placing of tile improvements too

yes he did, he also micro-manages worker-ratios, and frankly i dont have any problems with what he did, my usual strategy is based on a smaller map with Rampaging Barbarians, so i tend to be a bit more defence orented in the opening rounds. on this map, my parinoya should be less, but i just cant help myself!

overall:

the mayors builds (defualt) was Warrior, Warrior, Granery, Shrine, Arena

Defence choices: Warior,warior(i changed it to Hoplite), granery, Shrine( i changed it to wall) Shrine, hoplite, Balista tower, archerer, arena.
Old November 17, 2000, 11:39   #12
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 10:59
quote:

Originally posted by St Swithin on 11-16-2000 05:07 PM
The truth is, Pyaray is a Borg.

Aaahh, that explains why my proximity alarm goes off everytime I log on to Apolyton