Old November 20, 2000, 11:36   #1
Zardos
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Ten and Two
Always ten and two. Do you have flashbacks of driving lessons? Well, actually I'm talking about the number of army units and the number of defending units.

First off let me state that I run my roads through my cities. I know some Civ (maybe CivII?) players got in the habit of running their roads around their cities because the city tile always showed up as a "road". This meant that you lost a third of a movement point when the unit travelled through the city, even though all the surrounding tiles were set to railroad (think of maglev). Unfortunately, the opposing civs used this to their advantage and could quickly use your infrastructure to move their units to weak cities quickly.

Since I run my roads through my cities, I run in to a different kind of problem. I can't move big armies to the front quickly. So I have standardized on creating armies of 10 units, and only having two units in the city as defense. This speeds up my wars considerably, since I am able to use my infrastructure to move my units around.

Of course, if a city is in jepordy, or that city is not a common thoroughfare, then beef it up. But if it is a city that units pass through all the time, follow the ten and two rule.

Zardos
Old November 21, 2000, 11:08   #2
Gregurabi
Prince

Sounds familiar. I normally send units one-by-one through my interior out to a remote city (or a spot near a remote city). Once they're out on the edge of my empire, then I group them together to move into enemy territory.

In the late game (in CTP1), when I've got nothing but War Walkers moving around, I'll usually march them around in groups of 3-5 in enemy territory. Move a bit, then bombard; and if the city seems to be weak enough, maybe capture it next turn.

(I sincerely hope that CTP2 has balanced the late game so that there's some point to using a unit other than the War Walker. Some please reassure me...?)
Old November 21, 2000, 12:58   #3
Chaos
Chieftain

well considering right now I am at the tank stage, and considering that musketeers (infantry men) defend better than Machinegunners (did anyone else notice this) and tanks have a better range attack than artillary, (though this is from the map and the map does have errors) I see no reason to make anything but tanks and boats. I doubt I will see the need to make anyting but war walkers either. However as a plus war warkers come about later in the game then they did in ctp1.