Old December 10, 1999, 19:31   #31
ZhugeLiang
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:26
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Another thing I notice is people don't oftten take into account the corruption factors of each government. Take republic vs. communism for example. If you are stuck on a small island and have to make a colonial empire the corruption in republic is unacceptable, so you have to build a bunch of courthouses, which don't take care of all the corruption and they cost 1 to upkeeep (with out Trade co.) Now the lost trade/sci/lux, when calculating with a library, market place back etc, can't be really hefty in a republic, and some times it seems as if you get more trade in communism. But demo is the ultimate trade government. No corruption and unbeatable trade. But I hate going for space so communism and fundy are my govs of choice.
Old December 10, 1999, 22:46   #32
geofelt
Prince

Local Time: 18:26
I am convinced that the AI is programmed to approximately match your science rate. When I change to fundamentalism, my science slows down, but the AI seems to slow down also! If I am in a good position for conquest, then I can start bribing all the AI cities by keeping taxes at 80%. I also think the AI does not consider the science generated by caravans. In this mode, I can build caravans and still get ahead in science. Try it.
Old December 12, 1999, 06:01   #33
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 19:26
This why I like the Statue of Liberty wonder at least a little but; because if a situation arises that I need to change governments to faciclitate some strategy, poof! there it is.
I notice the computer layers changing governments fairly often, probably to optomize it's civ's current resources.
Old December 12, 1999, 11:01   #34
Theben
Deity

Local Time: 19:26
I switch to Monarchy ASAP, then usually stay there until I get SOL. Then I switch back and forth betweeen demo and communism. Demo is better to change to because the +1 happy from courthouses and palace makes getting "we love you" days easier. Just build a temple, marketplace, courthouse, and aqueduct and poof!- size 12 city. After which a switch to communism w/mike's= 6 content from military, 2 from temple, 3-4 from mikes= 11-12 content people. Throw in JSB and luxuries can be set to 0% w/o worrying about disorder-but I prefer to have "we love the comrade" days for that extra trade. Democracy and communism are the best warmongering governments IMHO.

(note-I play a modified fascist patch, so communism =10 free support, while Theocracy[fundy] only has 3 free)
Old December 12, 1999, 18:33   #35
C Chulainn
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Thall on 12-07-1999 04:39 AM
Fundamentalism is good, TOO good IMHO. The reduction of science by 50% is not a good enough disadvantage when you consider the phenomenal amount of money and happiness you can gain from it, not to mention military support.
-------
Absolutely: as soon as I found out how, I edited the game file to cut down science production for fundies.
Old December 13, 1999, 06:47   #36
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Allow a dedicated fundamentalist to disagree! The double hit of maximum effective rate (50%) and only 50% efficiency means that the poor Fundamentalist has to struggle with an effective 25% science rate with a further 25% of assets wasted!
I think that the paltry recompense offered by 10 free units and no unhappiness is barely adequate!!

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor

Old December 14, 1999, 01:02   #37
jpk
Prince

ZhugeLiang...Prior to Adam Smith if a city has lots of corruption a courthouse will reduce corruption sufficiently so that the courthouse is effectively free. I consider economics a priority and, as soon as I can afford to purchase the remaining shields, buy Adam Smith. Then the courthouse and many other improvements are actually free.

Also, if you change to Democracy a court house increases the number of happy people by one. This can often get a turn or two of We Love The President Days. Because this happiness effect is guaranteed, a courthouse is often the first improvement I will build in a city. (Only when my government is a Democracy.)

Note: By the time I go to Democracy I usually have sufficient happiness Wonders that I don't need to build a temple right away.

------------------
If you can not think of a good reason to build something other than a caravan, build a caravan!