Old November 19, 2000, 19:57   #1
Cyrius
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Questions
When a city is building a unit (archer, for example), and they finish, they continue to build that unit, without letting you know they are doing so. This is frustrating. Anyone know how to stop it, and make it go to empty queue so I can select it with 'o'? How about actually telling it to auto-build something?

Speaking of 'o', what good is the 'n' key, which is also a cycle-thru units? Seems useless to me.

I use the numpad to navigate, usually. Unfortunately, CTP2 appears to "save" my numpad presses, and if I accidently hit '4' too many times and the unit has used up its movement, it will try to move west on the next turn as soon as it is selected. Anyone know a way to avoid this? This once caused a unit passing by an ally unit to instead attack it and send me to war. Very Annoying.

Which brings me to antoher point. Any way to get a warning before you attack someone you are at peace/allied with?

Another question, I once had a trade route going to a friendly French city. I tried to get a trade pact with them, but they wouldn't sign it no matter what I did. I offered huge sums of gold (3,000) among other things and they would never accept a trade treaty. However, they immediately accepted military and research treaties. France had no trade routes going to one of my cities. Anyone know why the AI player resisted a trade treaty so much?

On a related note, I never saw computers create trade routes. Oh wait, I dont' think they ever got the trade advance. Heh, I need to play some more...

On another related note, I noticed some routes require more caravans than others. Is distance the only reason for this? If I build a road between two cities, will trade between them require less caravans? on a similar note, will trade over a (roadless) mountain range require more caravans?

Related to this, if I have a pre-existing trade route between two cities and later build a road between them, will the route adjust itself to the road and give me caravans back? Or do I have to break it and reform it?

Is it ever possible to safely pass through another nations territory without angering them? How about in an alliance? Peace/military treaties dont' appear to cut it. I think that if you get through "unseen" then it doesn't bother them. Maybe.

Thanks for the time. I'll think up some more later
[This message has been edited by Cyrius (edited November 19, 2000).]
Old November 19, 2000, 20:36   #2
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by Cyrius on 11-19-2000 06:57 PM
When a city is building a unit (archer, for example), and they finish, they continue to build that unit, without letting you know they are doing so. This is frustrating
if you have assigned a mayor, he will choose something to build. that's called automation
if you want to use mayors and make your own choices for the build queues, simply change the build queue. the mayor will not make any changes to it. when it will become empty, a message will appear in the message tab. if you ignore it, the mayor will make a decision
quote:

Speaking of 'o', what good is the 'n' key, which is also a cycle-thru units? Seems useless to me.
"n" is for next item(unit or city according to what you selected). "o" is for next unit(whatever you may have selected)
quote:

I use the numpad to navigate, usually. Unfortunately, CTP2 appears to "save" my numpad presses, and if I accidently hit '4' too many times and the unit has used up its movement, it will try to move west on the next turn as soon as it is selected. Anyone know a way to avoid this?
dont do accidents!
quote:

Which brings me to antoher point. Any way to get a warning before you attack someone you are at peace/allied with?
that would be good yes...
probably can be done with slic...
quote:

France had no trade routes going to one of my cities. Anyone know why the AI player resisted a trade treaty so much?
obviously(?) it saw no gain to it, so....

Old November 19, 2000, 20:55   #3
Cyrius
Chieftain

quote:

if you have assigned a mayor, he will choose something to build. that's called automation
if you want to use mayors and make your own choices for the build queues, simply change the build queue. the mayor will not make any changes to it. when it will become empty, a message will appear in the message tab. if you ignore it, the mayor will make a decision

Mark, I'm not talking about mayors and I don't use mayors. When building things normally, if you tell a ctiy to build an archer (and just an archer) and they finish, they will build another archer. And you won't recive a pop up and the city won't select with 'o'. Very frustrating.

quote:

that would be good yes...
probably can be done with slic...

what do you mean by "slic"?
quote:

obviously(?) it saw no gain to it, so....

I offered them 3000 gold! Isn't that enough gain? It doesn't hurt them any, thats for sure! And they were my best ally!
Old November 19, 2000, 21:48   #4
Mad-Kat
Chieftain

I've got to agree with Cyrius on the trade pact. I had almost all my trade routes with the Native Americans and when I asked them to start a trade pact they refused. I even offered them a city!! Still they say no! That would be a huge gain for them. So I just embargoed them. Bastards!
Old November 20, 2000, 14:58   #5
Camper
Chieftain

I've had good sucess getting civs to sign trade pacts by threatening them. I currently have 4 trade pacts in my 8 civ game.
Old November 20, 2000, 16:21   #6
Mad-Kat
Chieftain

Yes, I finally tried that and it worked. The Native Americans had a city on my continent that was bugging me, so I threatened to destroy it unless they signed a Trade Pact with me. They did! I used this tactic against all the other nations quite well.
Old November 20, 2000, 19:15   #7
lago

quote:

CTP2 appears to "save" my numpad presses, and if I accidently hit '4' too many times and the unit has used up its movement, it will try to move west on the next turn as soon as it is selected. Anyone know a way to avoid this?

Right click on the unit and select 'Clear Orders' from the menu.

Old November 20, 2000, 20:33   #8
Mr Ogre
Warlord

If you're willing to get your hands dirty in the data files, you can make the game only build one of each unit. In units.txt, add a line "OnlyBuildOne" to every single unit, and it will only build one at a time - it won't continue to build the last unit in the queue if it has OnlyBuildOne set. The three settlers (normal, urban planner, and sea engineer) are the only units that have that set as shipped.

I think most people probably want the game to keep building normal military units, but you could argue that we should have added that flag for all or most special units. The main reason you wouldn't want it for settlers is the population each settler subtracts. Forgetting to stop building settlers is a bigger deal than it is for other units.
Old November 20, 2000, 23:20   #9
MapleLeaf
Warlord

Local Time: 01:02
Thank you very much, Mr Ogre, for the "OnlyBuildOne" tip! Can I ask you a question regarding Trade Pact? I have 2 trade routes with American AI and 2 trade routes with French AI - gold from the trade is 175. Fine. I make Trade Pacts with both of them. Same routes, same Civs and same money - 175 gold. Were is the benefit of Trade Pact? Am I missing something? And, please, could you tell me this - in CTP wonder movies played in full window, in CTP2 movies are shown in tiny almost thumbnail-sized window (but they are very sharp). I play on 1270 X 780 res. Is it the cause? Do I have to upgrade Windows Media Player from 6 to 7? Thakns again, I appreciate your team great efforts since CTP days back in spring 1999
Old November 21, 2000, 12:00   #10
ENGINEER
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:32
Is there any way to get rid of the dead tiles from pollution? It seems unfair that they are there forever. Even now, at great expense, countries are trying to clean up polluted sites( Example any superfund site in the US) It should not be easy, but permanent seems a bit harsh for pollution.
Old November 21, 2000, 12:40   #11
Yohan
Chieftain

There's an advance that lets you terraform/cleanup dead tiles. I don't have my CTP2 docs here so I can't tell you exactly where. Look it up in the Great Library.
Old November 22, 2000, 01:02   #12
ENGINEER
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:32
Thanks, I have not got that far yet, but was getting upset about my captail getting surrounded by dead tiles.