Old November 21, 2000, 15:02   #1
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 05:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is there a Demo?
Well, I ask because of the damning reviews of Gamespot and PC.IGN, Two publications I highly respect. Basically I won't buy this game unless I play it and like it. It kind of mystifies me that there is no demo so there can be a counter to the reviews for undecided buyers? Bad marketing decision once again... (Hell, SMAC had a demo, and that led to me making the game a MUST BUY - not that I wouldn't have bought it anyway ).
Old November 21, 2000, 17:50   #2
MarkG

no demo

if you want something to counter the reviews, see the posts of people who actually played the game

Old November 21, 2000, 18:02   #3
Monkey
King

Local Time: 09:02
Well, I USED to respect IGN but now after their little CTP2 review fiasco, I doubt I can trust them anymore. Editing a review without acknowledging it, I thought was suppose to be a major No-No.
Old November 21, 2000, 18:13   #4
MarkG

note to self: in the future keep a local copy of all reviews

Old November 21, 2000, 21:12   #5
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Mark, I don't trust the people on this site... they were SUPER Pro-CtP, and that was one of the WORST games I've ever played.

I respect the review sites 10x's as much as the people... sorry.
Old November 21, 2000, 21:14   #6
MarkG

well, there ARE people who said "i hated ctp1, i love ctp2"

what about them

Old November 21, 2000, 22:06   #7
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 01:02
Yeah, Imran, what about them? Er...uh...me, or that is, people like me?

John-SJ
Old November 21, 2000, 23:00   #8
Drakenred
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui on 11-21-2000 08:12 PM
Mark, I don't trust the people on this site... they were SUPER Pro-CtP, and that was one of the WORST games I've ever played.

I respect the review sites 10x's as much as the people... sorry.

hmmm last time i cheched i gave CTP1 a score of 2.5, even with Med mod and other mods it barly got up to 5 or 6, mostly becuase of some of the new ideas, and the END OF SETELER MICROMANAGMENT!(YES YES YES!) this game gets a 8-8.5 so far, mostly becuase of the Beter pacing of the game, Beter City manager AI, Somewhat smarter Combat AI, somewhat smarter Stack managment on the part of the AI), Beter Diplomacy, and MASIVLY beter WoWs(they made them so that they are not End all Be all you must have all of thies WOWs or lose, in fact if you pull way ahead of the AIs, you can safly let the AIs have some of the WOtWs to let them have a chance to catch up), and the impimentaton of the FoWs (for reference i scored CIV1 as a 9.5, Civ 2 as a 8,(mostly becuase of letdown) although i admit it did grow on me TOT i gave a 7.5(moslty i did not realy like the multi-mapsettup that they used.

Granted, befor the game(Civ:CTP) was relased i did look forward to it like a Dragon-pup in heat, bu then i also looked forward to Alpha-Cantari (7, 7.5 with the Addon, i hated the entire look of the game, the unoriginal AI, but it did have a few promising features in it)

I am also hoping that the CivIII crew looks at the game, takes notes, says "We can do beter than this!" and proves it!
Old November 21, 2000, 23:27   #9
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

It seems Activision decides not to release demos beforehand on games it thinks may not live up to consumer expectations- at least that's my perspective.

Old November 21, 2000, 23:41   #10
Pyaray
Call to Power II Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 01:02
quote:

Originally posted by Anunikoba on 11-21-2000 10:27 PM
It seems Activision decides not to release demos beforehand on games it thinks may not live up to consumer expectations- at least that's my perspective.

It has nothing to do with that. We're not doing a demo at all, at least that they've told us about. One of the problems with doing a demo prior to a games release is that it takes the design team away from finishing a game right when they are needed the most.

Pyaray
Old November 22, 2000, 07:40   #11
Yoleus
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Pyaray on 11-21-2000 10:41 PMOne of the problems with doing a demo prior to a games release is that it takes the design team away from finishing a game right when they are needed the most.

I remember a SMAC demo... cannot you Activision guys beat Firaxis?

Seriously, I guess you had to polish things more that they had to, and probably you are working under a more "aggressive" market division. Anyway, the game seems good from the people here (did not play it yet - Europe) but what about support? When will you able to tell us if you are going to support or not? How are sales going? Any projections?