Old November 22, 2000, 09:25   #1
Monkey
King

Local Time: 09:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Questions about the Diplomacy model
One of my biggest gripe about CTP1 was the diplomacy(or lack of diplomacy). While I can see that CTP2 has greatly improved the range of diplomacy options, I was left worried after the gamespot review. The reviewer mentioned that the "feedback" received from the AI was too simplistic and so the diplomacy "atmosphere" was actually better in SMAC. Is this true?? Also is there a coordinate attack option in the diplomacy option? These answers to these questions will likely affect whether I get the game or not. Thank you..
Old November 22, 2000, 09:37   #2
Rainstorm
Settler

I personally liked the diplomacy in SMAC a good bit better than in CTP2. I really like the expanded options, counter-offering, etc, in this game, but the problem is that the AI almost never seems to use it. I have never seen them propose anything other than a map exchange...no tech trading (this takes a bit of getting used to,) no threats, no extortion. I am getting a bit disappointed with this. There seems to be a lot more flexibility in the CTP2 system, but if there is not an active diplomatic exchange between the AIs, and with you, it doesn't seem very useful. Maybe they'll patch it.
Old November 22, 2000, 10:03   #3
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by Monkey on 11-22-2000 08:25 AM
The reviewer mentioned that the "feedback" received from the AI was too simplistic and so the diplomacy "atmosphere" was actually better in SMAC. Is this true??
he meant the answers to your proposals. if you're rejected you just get a "english rejected the proposal" type of message, without any explanation or hint on what to do about it. he probably never seen the ai making a counter proposal though...
yes, the rejection messages suck. but the ability to make threats and make/recieve counter-proposals, along with the notes on the regard of others towards you and the reasons behind it, balance the "atmosphere"...

quote:

Also is there a coordinate attack option in the diplomacy option?
no. there is a military agreement, where you agree to help the other in case of war. if you have a military agreement or an alliance(which includes a military and a trade(or is it science?) agreement) there is a request/offer to honor the military agreement
[This message has been edited by MarkG (edited November 22, 2000).]

Old November 22, 2000, 10:09   #4
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:02
Monkey,
It's true that the feedback could have been better, but the intelligence screen now shows how the AI thinks about you and why, this is a great help too, IMHO, maybe in the long run (once I've played a little more) it'll turn out to be even more valuable than the original CtPI feedback (of course it would still be good to get direct feedback). There's no coordinated attack option but in my experience that never worked all that well in SMAC anyway (could be me of course, didn't play SMAC all that much).

Rainstorm,
Well, then either you've only encountered very uncooperative AI's or you're very uncooperative yourself, I've had all kinds of proposals, counterproposals and threads of the AI. Not of all AI's or all the time, but often enough.
Old November 22, 2000, 10:16   #5
Rainstorm
Settler

I'd love that to be the case Locutus. I want to have more active diplomacy in my games, but in four games so far, I just haven't seen it.