Old November 22, 2000, 14:14   #1
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 01:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
third time is always a charm
So I just finished my third real game. Luckily it wasnt as bad as my first two tries.

First try: I was playing the alexander scenario. I quit near the end when I noticed how flawed it was (which I posted about my problems here.. one of those was a game crash that I could reproduce all the time)

Second try: Non scenario game, and I was focusing much of my efforts in diplomacy. Well a VERY weird bug kicked in and totally ruined my game. Of course I could of loaded an okay save game, but that was just too far back. So I gave up on that game (which I posted the bugs/problems here )

As you can see, I haven't had the best of luck with CTP2.. even though this game is just the type of Civ fix I needed, the problems I've been running intow here really getting to me.

So then I tried one more game (the charming third try). The activision gods must of been smiling upon me because everything went fine... except for a little bug I encountered (had to do with counter proposals), it was real fun.

It was a regular size map, 8 civs, very hard, medium trade goods, and regular map/terrain settings. During the entire game I only had one military "session", when the Canadians tried to kick my buttox. They managed too destroy one of my cities, and capture another... but I got that one back in no time. BTW, anyone noticed the personality of the canadians? It's "Evil Genius" !!! Being a canadian, I feel very proud Anyway, after they were dealt with, there wasnt no other military encounters.

Some might think this would be a boring game, but NO! The diplomacy aspect of CTP2 is just so amazing.

For example, in this game the Indonesians kept on settling right into my territory. Well with a little threat, they always, and I mean ALWAYS gave up that city... and at the begining of the game free citys disbanded into settlers is very helpful.

I really have to congratulate activision on the diplomacy enhancement, since it makes all the difference in the game. I was able to win via diplomatic victory at 1924 ad (give or take 2-4 years) - but only after bullying everyone into an alliance with me. Funny thing is, I had no military, yet they (the other civs) all feared my threats of war.

Anyway it was a fun game, and CTP2 will remain on my hdd for some time although I still think it lacks stuff that should of been added... like forcing an opponent to make peace, or getting the AI to use diplomats, and the list goes on.

Good luck to everyone else in their games, and I highly suggest trying to win through the diplomatic route... makes a big difference compared too all of these countless civ playing years where victory was decided by your army and not by the negotiator (that sounds about right ).
[This message has been edited by smellymummy (edited November 22, 2000).]
Old November 22, 2000, 14:23   #2
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by smellymummy on 11-22-2000 01:14 PM
forcing an opponent to make peace
if you have the power you CAN do that...
quote:

or getting the AI to use diplomats, and the list goes on
i'm not sure about diplomats. i'm very positive about spies though. the ai uses them a lot

Old November 22, 2000, 14:57   #3
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 01:02
Sorry for not being clearer, but after a whole night of civ playing what can you expect. For the forcing peace issue, I meant forcing Civ X to make peace with Civ Y, so I (Civ Z) won't have to attack Civ X or Y due to military pact/alliance.

Make sense?

I know it was possible in ctp1...
Old November 22, 2000, 15:16   #4
Dark Renown
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:02
how do you stop the ai fighting another ai? for ctp1 or 2