Old November 19, 2000, 20:33   #1
Cyrius
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Doesn't anyone miss space?
After reading a bunch of posts I'm beginning to think that nobody cares that they can no longer do anything in space. Is this correct? Doesn't anyone else care?

If so, why? If not, why not?
Old November 19, 2000, 21:12   #2
TheLimey
Prince

It was slow, took you out of the world map, had unbalanced production (necessary due to the lateness of their introduction), and made for a sure win when you got there.

I'd like altitude and depth, but implemented differently.
Old November 19, 2000, 21:21   #3
Drakenred
Warlord

Dont miss it, and frankly i an mot the least bit bothered to see it gone.

Basicaly the Space end game had a buch of problems,

1 unless you have everyone going into space at about the same time, you were almost garantied to lose the game. if you were the last one up, and almost gaurontied to win if you were the first one up

2. the existing UI tended to make space a pain, between having to keep track ov 2 maps and the sheer number of citys on each map by that stage of the game

2a. also by that time at the end of the game the Designed game teneded to abruptly become a race to see who would build their Alien Life Form.

2a, combine that with the inherant flaws with the core game to that point, and the space era pre-medmod was a pointless pain in the ass. basicaly if you had not conqured the workd by that point, dont bother, if you were ahead in the game to talk over space, again, why bother?

3 frankly, i didnot have all that mutch interest in some of the "SciFi" goblygook that they created to paste onto the game, also, frankly, i had some dificuaty with the way they modled the space part of the game, although realisicaly, it would be dificult to acuratly Modle space, the way they chose to modle it wooked more like a last minute pasteon than any seriouse atempt to modle space.

However, i do hope that eventaly, they do try to mod Space in a future game, frakly, the first time they did it, it WAS a first try, and now that they have what looks like a good core game under their belt now, they can evantualy expand on that into space with a later game.

[This message has been edited by Drakenred (edited November 19, 2000).]
Old November 19, 2000, 21:38   #4
Mad-Kat
Chieftain

Nope, don't miss it. It was so close to sea technology that you had to pick one or the other to develop cities in. I agree with other that it seemed tacked on and had a bad interface.
Old November 19, 2000, 22:49   #5
Robm
Prince

Local Time: 01:02
I don't miss it either. The jumping back and forth between space and earth was more of a chore than it was worth, and wasn't much fun. There was just no exciement in space. Everything was the same, and the city building was so basic that I tended to avoid it.
Old November 20, 2000, 00:30   #6
Paulypav
Warlord

Don't have CTP2 yet, but I will definitely not miss space the way it was. The game got so slow once it was in space that I had trouble getting through a game. If they could have improved it a lot I might have enjoyed it, but the way it was the game is better without space.

------------------
“The American people have now spoken, but it’s going to take a little while to determine exactly what
they said.” — President Clinton
Old November 20, 2000, 05:56   #7
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 05:02
No- space has no place in my face.
Old November 20, 2000, 08:46   #8
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 12:02
I surely will miss it, when I get the game! It was one of things I liked most in CTP1, even though I rarely have waged some wars there, but if I and anyone else get in the space at about the same time, it was very fun. I liked the futuristic things in CTP1, what was an advaatage over Civ IMO. But, as there are yet post modern units, I'm sure I'll like the game - preview at Apolyton seems exciting.
But, one thing is strange: many people who hate CTP1 (and, there were many haters), say CTP2 is very good. Is there really so much differnet between them?
Anyway, I've played the civs, and I will continue that, even without the space.

------------------
Solver - http://www.aok.20m.com
Old November 20, 2000, 10:22   #9
Matte979
Warlord

Space is for a Space game. Like MOO3 they do it better.
Didn't add anything useful for me in CTP 1. Just took performance.

/Mathias
Old November 20, 2000, 10:54   #10
Chaos
Chieftain

I will miss the rail launcher.

for me there was nothing more satisfying then massing a giant army out side of every city in my enemie's empire, and dropping them all in one turn. taking over the entire race in one turn.

But I can live without that. over all there was nothing you could really do in space anyway. it was more along the lines of, well this is cool, but what is it good for. and it was unrealistic. you had advanced star ships that couldn't leave the atmosphere. the swarms were a pain and a joke. (you couldn't even fortify them!) over all there was really nothing there worth keeping.

the only things I would add would be recon satilites. and the rail launcher. (I would still like to have a space board that units could fly around in in orbit but oh well.)

Old November 20, 2000, 12:02   #11
Zardos
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Solver on 11-20-2000 07:46 AM
But, one thing is strange: many people who hate CTP1 (and, there were many haters), say CTP2 is very good. Is there really so much differnet between them?
Anyway, I've played the civs, and I will continue that, even without the space.

I think someone else put it best when they said that CTP2 is what CTP1 wanted to be. It is kind of the same game, but with many subtleties (sp?) changed. These changes, en mass, make for a much better game.

CTP1 pioneered some changes to the Civ games that were revolutionary. The public works, stacking units, bombarding, to name a few. CTP2 doesn't do as much pioneering as refining. Its taken good (rough) ideas and honed them so they work very well. I think the removal of space was a good thing; it puts the emphasis on waging land and sea wars, and there wasn't enough depth in the space concept for it to fly (pun intended). I guess Activision could have gone either way, improve space or improve the other things in the game; I'm glad they didn't choose space.

Finally, if for no other reason, buy it because of the improved diplomacy options. There is a great feeling of putting together a package for a foreign nation, having them reject it and then threatening them.

Zardos

Old November 20, 2000, 12:33   #12
Chaos
Chieftain

and then driving your tanks over their women and children when they ignore your threats!!!!!!!

hmmmm did I say that outloud?
Old November 20, 2000, 12:41   #13
ajbera
Prince

I will miss space. Although implemented in a faulty manner in CtP, the concept was terrific. I hope it will reappear in a future incarnation of Civ, after all the kinks have been worked out.
Old November 20, 2000, 21:40   #14
MWatts
Settler

I liked the space fetures of CTP. As far as the complaint about the first person getting there having the better chance of wining, why do you think there was a space race back in the 60's?
Also I think CTPI is better than CTPII in a lot of ways, the most important was that it was different and tryed new things than CIV II and other CIV games. In fact I don't like CIV II or any other game by Sid Myer. In fact CIV II isn't even a better and less buggy game than CTP. Just look at the seven pages of cheates (which are bugs and design flaws) in the CIVlist(ver2) document from the CIV III forum.
Old November 21, 2000, 17:06   #15
Mike the Nuke
Chieftain

Space or no space. What diference does it make. I bought the CTP I game because of all the new units (and apparent possibilities), including space. I like the idea of having various maps to work on during the game. It required more managment effort. We always used the largest maps possible. Yup..the first one in space to build space stations would most like ly win, just like the space race was about in the sixtie. Yup..the space units were a liitle too powerful and should have been toned down a little. This could have been done if they had made the units and other items easier to edit (as was the case in CIV2) so people could edit their values without have to read some long documented procedure (as with CTP units) These are many of the things everyone complained about. Many of the 'bugs' I read about we never suffered except for a few system lock-ups. I mention 'we'. That's because 'we' played the game exclusively in the Hot Seat mode (once it was availbale. I played vs the AI and then quit playing altogether when I got bored with it until Hot Seat came along). This is no longer available in CTP II. Hey, now we can interface and have better diplomacy with the AI (our computer)...YIPEE! The diplomacy in CIV2 isn't bad (not great either, but probably as good as CTP-II) and they do it with Hot Seat.

I purchase games for entertainment. I watched a friend play CIV2 and liked the idea. It's (like all CIV games) like playing the old stategy board games (like Panzer Blitz, Blitz Krieg) but with a lot more bang and you can play against those AI's when you have no one else to play against. We now play CIV2 TOT in the Hot Seat mode (only). It's not perfect, but at least it has the play option we need to play together. Players can even drop out of the game (temporarily) and turn their empire over to the AI until their return. This was supposedly available in CTP I, but we could never get it to work (allow a person to drop out..we read the documentation, it just would not allow them to drop out). We still play CTP I, but only in the Hot Seat mode. This way we can all play together. A game is suppose to be fun, and that makes it fun (direct relating with other people). Comunicating against some programmed AI is boring, unless you don't have friends or a life. Because CTP-II has no Hot Seat option, I will not buy the game, PERIOD!

As far as the game ratings, so far. The one on Gamespot with the 9.6 was done by someone who had just (within the last couple of weeks to month) bought the game and started playing. It's the 'NEW TOY' syndrom. GameSpot's own review is probably the most accurate, although I would have rated CTP-I one to one and half points higher than they did, even after having played it for nearly 2+ years.

So hurry up everyone. Get home quick so you can jump on the computer and play with yourselves!

I'll continue to look in on this site and continue reading the forums and look for update information. Most of the messages are favorable towards to NEW game (new toy syndrom) as a player vs AI CIV game. When the options I desire become available as a patch, I will download the patch and purchase the game, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!
Old November 21, 2000, 18:11   #16
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by Mike the Nuke on 11-21-2000 04:06 PM
So hurry up everyone. Get home quick so you can jump on the computer and play with yourselves!
is it me or are you insulting 90% of the civ community?

Old November 22, 2000, 04:56   #17
Ithil
Chieftain

L-O-L!!!
Old November 22, 2000, 14:52   #18
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Of course I'll miss space, how can you not miss seeing people fall through the atmosphere and burn up, and using a space bomber on cities still in the ancient age? It was a good feature, and I guess it was taken out to appease the non sci-fi ish people, even though I'm a nonscifiish person, I thought a good deal of the stuff in space could be inplemented in the not to distant future (next Sunday AD?). Space warfare's going to be at least plausible in the 21st century, so why shouldn't it be in the 24th? Everyone here complains about a lack of realism and then they take out the battlefield of the near future, and you all cheer? What's up with that?
Old November 22, 2000, 15:26   #19
Ralf
King

Local Time: 10:02
Cutting out the space-part; reducing the timescale and adding turns is one of the reasons why i probably will give the CTP-concept a second chance. Dont miss space at all.
Old November 22, 2000, 17:31   #20
23 Skidoo
Chieftain

I'll miss space, and I'm sorry it's gone - but not for score based games. I mean, roughly half the time I play not necessarily to win, but just for fun and space was great fun! Often my approach to any of the Civ games is like having a box full of toy soldiers that do all sorts of stuff by themselves. In that respect, space is/was a great playground. But when it comes down to a serious game with intent of winning, I always thought space was kind of hokey.

It would be nice if Activision came out with an expansion pack that included space, or a space scenario. You know, just for us kids. Otherwise, if I want spacemen I guess I'll just play with my old toys: CTP1.