Old November 23, 2000, 03:38   #1
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 05:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How do ranged attack and flankers really work?
If anyone has more insight into this, I could sure use it. I don't really understand how ranged units work: they have a defense rating and an attack rating, and then there is the 'range' rating; I just don't know how it all works.

Also, if there is a way to see all of the units in an enemy stack (don't think there is, though there should be) I could sure use that info too.

It would really make me enjoy the game more.

Old November 23, 2000, 04:44   #2
MarkG

from the manual
http://apolyton.net/ctp2/info/docs/Manual_3.shtml

quote:

Flanking Units

Flanking units have special combat abilities that make them welcome additions to any fighting force. Whereas offensive and defensive units ordinarily attack only the enemies directly in front of them on the battlefield, flanking units can "gang up" on other units to their right or left and attack concurrently with other units.

For example, an army of three warriors attacks an enemy hoplite. Only one of those warriors actually engages the hoplite in combat until either one is destroyed. The other two warriors do not attack, nor are they subject to counterattack. If the attacking warrior is destroyed, the next warrior engages the hoplite, until either the warrior, or the hoplite, are destroyed.

However, if three knights attack a hoplite, all three knights attack the hoplite simultaneously. One of the knights attacks the hoplite directly, while the other two knights "flank" the hoplite. The hoplite stands a considerably smaller chance of success in this scenario.

Flanking units include cavalry, fusion tanks, knights, and tanks. When added to an army, they are very effective.

quote:

Ranged Attacking Units

Some units specialize in fighting from a distance. For example, the catapult, artillery, and Archer can all be devastating attackers. All of these units trade off defensive capabilities and are usually at a disadvantage when attempting to fight a non-ranged attacker. It is best to combine ranged attackers with non-ranged attackers to maximize results. Ranged attackers include the archer, cannon, and artillery units, among others.

Old November 23, 2000, 20:22   #3
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Yeah, I am just looking for a more detailed explanation of the combat calculations, like exactly how much of a disadvantage ranged units are at in direct combat and such. Well, it really doesn't matter because I can just go play the game and see for myself.

:¬)
Old November 23, 2000, 20:32   #4
MarkG

realizing that i answered two of your threads with quotes from the manual, i feel the urge to shout

RTFM!!!!

Old November 23, 2000, 21:07   #5
Sarxis
Emperor

Look, I did read the manual- excuse me for not having a photographic memory and/or not extrapolating all of the information I wanted from it. But I am even now in the midst of rereading the very robust and thorough manual included with CTP2. ;¬D

I think most people who are playing CTP2 will agree that the manual is vague on certain of the game's features, one of which being the game's handling of combat. I just wanted to know if anyone had a little more 'in-depth' knowledge concerning the combat system.