Old November 25, 2000, 21:02   #1
TheLimey
Prince

Local Time: 09:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How ironic: Civ3 looks like it will have animated sprites
quote:

Well, based on what I've said before about the goal of this game to be the absolute best Civ game ever, I think it's pretty safe to assume we're no longer using single-tile images for the units a la Civ II. =)

What I was specifically making mention of in my post earlier was that "sprite editors" that are included with games are usually just flimsy little apps whipped up in a few minutes to satisfy that "OK, now they we can say that sprites are editable" requirement. In most cases, that "sprite editor" is rudimentary at best and horribly awkward to use at worst. I would tend to think that mod developers who are serious about creating new graphics for a game would prefer to use professional-level tools like Photoshop or even shareware apps that are more feature-rich than a simple "draw and erase" type editor.

Dan Magaha
Firaxis Games, Inc.

Its funny how many Civvers were complaining about the complexity of graphic mods in CtP1 and how the static gifs made for a better time generally for mod making.

Ironically, Firaxis anounced over in Civ3 general land, that they'll be having animated sprites ala CtP1 in Civ3, or thats the impression I get anyway.