Old November 27, 2000, 17:01   #1
Carrion
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What happened to some early units
For instance in Civ/Civ2 you had Legions, Charriots, Horsemen, Elephants. These guys absolutely helped out offense in the early part of the game in civ2. Now with CTP2 I am able to have a good war early on unlike any previous games. You can't really assault a city with 12 units in defense with out flankers or catapults, which you can't get in a very early war. I think charriots at least should be brought back.

Does anybody else miss these units?
Old November 30, 2000, 03:35   #2
Kestrel
Warlord

Local Time: 09:05
Not having played CTP1 I'm having trouble understanding how customisable CTP2 is.
(And yes, I have been reading the various forums on CTP1 and CTP2 as well as the Apolyton info over the last couple of days).

My questions are - Can EXTRA units be added into CTP2 without removing any of the existing units ? (I note that the Zulu Modpack REPLACES two units rather than adding in two extra units, however looking at the WesW's MedMod for CTP1, I am led to believe that they can be added to ).

Can anyone confirm or deny this ?

If this *is* possible, how many extra units can be added before :
a) the relevant 'stacks' or 'arrays' are full, or
b) the game falls over because there are too many parameters for it to handle in realtime without the use of a supercomputer.

Can anyone answer this for me ?

Alternately , can anyone point me to the place where this is revealed in the Apolyton forum posts or the Apolyton site/s in general ?

If adding extra units (on top of the existing ones) *IS* possible, (and if there is agreement on what a reasonable upper limit of the number of "discrete" units would be over the course of the history that the game seeks to model), why don't we/you/they start a forum discussion to seek a consensus to define what the extra 'standard' units and their parameters should be (based on those that *were* available in Civ2, or in players favourite modpacks, or in CTP1 and *are* available in CTP2, and on any other 'realistic' unit ideas that are possible within the constraints of the programming of CTP2), so that multiplayer games can be played between consenting adults with matching configurations ?

(Whew, what a sentence...)

As a start, can anyone tell me where to find the complete list of Units that ARE available in CTP2 ?
(The game has not yet been released in Oz and I can't seem to find a definitive post on this topic)

Many Thanks.
Old November 30, 2000, 16:32   #3
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:05
You can add new units without replacing existing units. Mr. Ogre posted some time ago about limits; I believe it was max. 64 buildings and 64 wonders and no limits for units and advances, but I'm not 100% certain about those numbers.