Old December 7, 2000, 11:07   #61
Savant
Warlord

Local Time: 04:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
"Some such"?

Well, given the info provided, I would reckon it may be that the program is seeking the CD for files and then crashes to the desktop bc it can't locate your CD in the CD-ROM. It may be going to the CD to get movies or sound files that aren't on the hard drive and then crashes to the desktop when it doesn't find them.

I would check your devices in system settings and you can also add device settings in config.sys and autoexec.bat to make sure your CD is identified properly. You probably have a CD driver install disk you can get that info from.

Other thing is that you may have another IDE device on that same cable? That may be the cause of the failure to find the CD.

------------------
'Blood will run'
Old December 7, 2000, 11:20   #62
Captain_Dave
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:08
Mr Fun,

When you post/reply to a message, there is a margin on the left of your text box. There you'll notice the link "Smilies Legend". It tells you how to do all the special smilies

[This message has been edited by Captain_Dave (edited December 07, 2000).]
Old December 7, 2000, 17:22   #63
MrFun
Emperor

Cool - thanks for this crucial, vital, essential, top-priority information.

All those Santas lined up like that look cute. LOL
Old December 7, 2000, 20:29   #64
Forever Newby
Settler

Local Time: 09:08
Where do yah make the map larger than Gigantic?

I tried changing ..MapSize from 3 to 8 but got an error.....
Old December 7, 2000, 20:33   #65
bekke37
Settler

I've played the game for a while and the thing I dislike about it the most is that there's a limit of how many cities you can have under certain governments without it affecting the happiness. Is there any way to turn this off? It's extremely annoying when you're conquering other nations that have a lot of cities. Especially since the most any government can have is 60 cities. Does anyone know how to change this??
Old December 7, 2000, 20:36   #66
perthboy
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by Savant on 12-07-2000 10:07 AM
"Some such"?

Well, given the info provided, I would reckon it may be that the program is seeking the CD for files and then crashes to the desktop bc it can't locate your CD in the CD-ROM. It may be going to the CD to get movies or sound files that aren't on the hard drive and then crashes to the desktop when it doesn't find them.

I would check your devices in system settings and you can also add device settings in config.sys and autoexec.bat to make sure your CD is identified properly. You probably have a CD driver install disk you can get that info from.

Other thing is that you may have another IDE device on that same cable? That may be the cause of the failure to find the CD.

Thanks for replying to my query. I have actually reinstalled the program, using the other, non-maximum option, but it keeps doing it. It says it can't find the graphics files for certain units. I have checked the 'civpath' file and compared it with the civpath file for CTP1, and there are no big differences, I'll try what you suggested. Thanks again for your help.
Old December 8, 2000, 00:00   #67
OmniGod
Civilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Okay here's my small problem... I've created a few scenarios with graater than 8 civs and placed starts by nation or nation with player choice.... when I go to start the game from main menu... there is a crash with error in ctp2.exe.... I've checked to see if my map is in error or if my saving order is correct... if the civs is less than or equal to 8 there is no problem even on a 210x300 map... I was wondering despite it not being supported if anyone had come across this, or if the activisioners would be willing to give me a method or idea why this is happening...

Thanks
Omni
Old December 8, 2000, 00:07   #68
OmniGod
Prince

If you check out the creation forum, things like this are address on a regular basis... as for how to you just have to edit the govern.txt in ...\ctp2_data\default\gamedata. For example, anarchy has the following line...

quote:

TooManyCitiesThreshold=1000

By changing the values you can make this a none factor. Raising all governments to 1000 should fix your problem, but make the game a little unrealistic... just like anarchy is... who ever heard of a peaceful transition from one gov't to another, the threshold should be low for that one at least causing riots... people hate major changes like that... and a civil war isn't always a bad thing is it

Hope that solves your question.

Omni
Old December 8, 2000, 02:54   #69
perthboy
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by Savant on 12-07-2000 10:07 AM
"Some such"?

I tried what you suggested, but to no avail. I guess I'll have to wait and see what the activision support people say...
Old December 8, 2000, 03:35   #70
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 01:08
Okay, well being as tired as everyone by having fascism in the renaissance, I set out to edit Advances.txt, and decided that some prerequisites needed changing, and now a couple turns into any game CTP2 crashes to the desktop! Anyone else had this problem? Here're the changes I made:

-CONSERVATION Prereq for ADV COMPOSITES changed to ROBOTICS
-ROBOTICS prereq for AI SURVEILLENCE changed to GLOBAL COMMUNICATIONS
-CORPORATE REP. prereq for COMPUTER changed to CORPORATION
-GLOBAL ECON prereq for CONSERVATION changed to GLOBAL COMM
-CORPORATION prereq for CORP REP changed to GLOBAL ECON
-AGE OF REASON prereq for DEMOCRACY changed to IND. REVOLUTION
-GUNPOWDER AND THEOLOGY prereqs for FASCISM changed to MASS MEDIA AND NATIONALISM, age changed to AGE 3
-ROBOTICS prereq for GENETICS changed to COMPUTER
-CORP REP prereq for GLOBAL ECON changed to GLOBAL COMMS
-CORP REP prereq for MASS TRANSIT changed to CORPORATION
-FASCISM prerep for NATIONALISM changed to AGE OF REASON
-DEMOCRACY prereq for PHARMACEUTICALS changed to ECONOMICS
-ADV COMPOSITES prereq for ROBOTICS changed to MASS PROD
-CORP REP prereq for SUPERSONIC FLIGHT changed to COMPUTER
-CORPORATION prereq for TANK WARFARE changed to MASS PRODUCTION
-GLOBAL COMMS prereq for TECHNOCRACY changed to EUGENICS
-CORPORATION prereq for V-F AIRCRAFT changed to JET PROPULSION

And that's it, if anyone sees any problems, please tell me! Thanks in advance
Old December 8, 2000, 08:49   #71
skorpion59
Prince

Local Time: 03:08
Omni,

I commented on this in your post in the Creation section. It doesn't appear to be possible any more. While unsupported in CtP1, it was still possible. However, the code has changed and 2 more options were added so my guess is they removed the ability.
Old December 8, 2000, 14:31   #72
OmniGod
Prince

bastards..