Old December 20, 1999, 16:20   #1
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 15:26
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I would say attacking is fine as long as you don't occupy another city. Attacking a size one should destroy it allowing you to build in that location.

Stealing science is okay, just be careful to be ready to defend yourself for the rest of the game. I play OCC peaceful to try to avoid building a bunch of defenders.
Old December 21, 1999, 01:57   #2
Aurelius
Prince

Local Time: 23:26
OCC questions
Is it okay to attack other cities in one city challenge ? I ask because I found a great location but there was a size 1 city with a unit in it occupying the great location in the pre-city phase.

And is theft of science allowed?

Thanks
Old December 21, 1999, 14:37   #3
crowatbitemedotcom
Prince

Local Time: 17:26
I just discovered this site and the OCC. I've read Paul's strategy guide and the rules and I have a question: what size map should it be played on? I've been using 'normal', but should I be using 'small'?

Thanks.

Crooooow
Old December 21, 1999, 17:15   #4
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 19:26
crow,

Research speed is inversely proportional to map size, so small map is probably easiest.
Old December 21, 1999, 18:24   #5
Peter Hennesy
Warlord

crow, I think youll find all the refs on the site and pauls records are small maps. Think people tried the larged ones but too difficult. Would suggest that you try some of the sample maps people provide though - like 4 whales. These give a good intro to the whole occ thing and a fairer basis for comparison
Old December 22, 1999, 12:25   #6
crowatbitemedotcom
Prince

Local Time: 17:26
Thanks for the help Dave & Peter.

I have played about 20 or so OCC games (they sure go fast), and the last 2 were on small maps. In the latest game it's about 1950 & I just built Apollo. I think I'll have a shot at winning this game, as no one else has computers or electronics yet. I built Hoover & SETI to prevent the AI from getting them, but this might have been unnecessary. I did this because in my previous games I've been ahead but then I started getting threats after building Apollo & gave away techs to keep from being attacked. That strategy totally backfired as the Aztecs built both Hoover & SETI and started cranking out 10 structurals per turn They beat me to AC by about 8 years and I didn't want to see that happen again.

I've got a while to go before challenging the 1900 barrier.

Crooooow
Old December 22, 1999, 15:35   #7
Aurelius
Prince

Me too crow, I've seen that hoover/seti thing get into action by my allies or ex-allies. Like yourself, I've played about 15-20 occ games. I've got two close call wins (late 1900's) and 4 or 5 close call losses--the other games were hard lessons.

I thought I was getting close to 1900 in my latest game. Launched my (15 year) ship in 1913. But the rival AI civ got there in 2026 with a later launch date. Do the math and you can see I was 2 years late... Aurelius the Unready.

It seems my games are really close but usually there is not great parity among the other civs...so one civ ends up getting Hoover and Seti and dominates as you pointed out. And the science appeasement is usually forbidding. I'm a bit stymied at this point.
Right about now, I want to try one of the Comparison games available on Paul's site, but I'm having trouble downloading them. Does anyone know any pitfalls? Browser incompatibility? I can read Paul's strategies and tips, but I just get an empty url with some strange asci word....I'll do it now and cut and paste: CIVILIZE or CIVILIZE˙˙.

Would appreciate any help.

Good luck in your game,

Choo Choo Charlie was and Engineer, but Aurelius is just an OCC settler

Old December 22, 1999, 16:11   #8
Aurelius
Prince

[This message has been edited by Aurelius (edited December 23, 1999).]
Old December 22, 1999, 17:10   #9
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 19:26
Aurelius,

The first line of each post contains an icon, the date and time of your post, and 3-5 more icons. Click on the "edit/delete post" icon (a pen writing on paper), and you can delete an existing post.

The "Apolyton" forum is where forum features can be discussed. Also, you can click on the "faq" link at the top of each topic for some fairly basic information.
[This message has been edited by DaveV (edited December 22, 1999).]
Old December 22, 1999, 19:54   #10
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 18:26
Aurelius
If you click on the pencil icon right above your post, you are allowed to edit it.
However, you can not delete it.
Only a moderator or admin type can delete a post. Like I just did to yours

Carry on

------------------
Ming
CivII & Off-Topic Forum Moderator
Ming@Apolyton.net

Old December 23, 1999, 15:08   #11
Aurelius
Prince