Old December 8, 2000, 12:16   #1
MarkG

total conquest or diplomatic victory?
i think the diplomatic victory is big relief for the final part of the game. it saves you lots of time of conquering the smaller civs

anyone feeling like that or do you really want to kill everyone

Old December 8, 2000, 15:13   #2
romelus
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
problems is i can't get the others to ally with me, i'm always reckless in breaking treaties (i don't even bother declaring war i just attack)
Old December 8, 2000, 16:02   #3
Dominous Nemo
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:09
I find that military conquest is the common way for me to win the game. I can’t win via peace because I can’t stand other civ’s military stomping through my territory. I usually ask them to withdraw their troops, and they usually agree…but they never withdraw? So I kill em all ;-)

I suppose I could win via scientific accomplishment, but by the time that occurs I have already defeated the other civ’s by crushing them with military strength.
Old December 8, 2000, 19:06   #4
lago

I like playing on big maps with lots of water, so world conquest can take forever. I'm generally winning with diplomacy; when the other power sees that I'm a lot stronger (any kind of edge, too, not just military), it almost always falls into line.

Old December 8, 2000, 21:14   #5
down th' pub
Warlord

Local Time: 09:09
I also like to play on a large world, so world domination takes time. Another snag that gets to me under those circumstances, I wind up with an awful lot of cities - all of them miserable

It's nice to have another option v's the science victory, which can take some time to thrash out whether civ2 or ctp.

What was that other game with that feature?
Old December 9, 2000, 16:47   #6
Grandpa Troll
supporter
PolyCast TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Immortal Factotum

Local Time: 05:09
quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 12-08-2000 11:16 AM
i think the diplomatic victory is big relief for the final part of the game. it saves you lots of time of conquering the smaller civs

anyone feeling like that or do you really want to kill everyone

Well...my problem is I get messages that the civilizations are unhappy with me for having a city within their continent or because I have a trade embargo..so I turn to My Military advisor..you know him..from Roman Empire days..he had a thumb that pointed south..and a phrase.."No allies..only Weak enemies"

Troll

Old December 12, 2000, 01:51   #7
Didymus
lifer
Warlord

Local Time: 04:09
I love diplomatic victory.

Not only does it give me a warm fuzzy feeling, but as others have pointed out, if you play huge maps, having too many cities is a headache. (And the AI cities are such ... dreck.)

I find I get so far ahead on tech, I can gift them till they're happy and then strongarm 'em into pacts. Altho it does seem odd to threaten your prospective allies, I can live with that.