Old December 13, 2000, 22:31   #1
Mr Ogre
Warlord

Local Time: 09:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Latest news
Just a couple of news bits:

The patch is done for all practical purposes. I'm not certain when it will get uploaded to our site, but it could be as soon as tomorrow. Just don't quote me on that.

My SLIC documentation is done. Dave Whiteis adding his own wisdom on modification, and will get it all to Markos sometime next week. Some of it is not relevant until the patch is out anyway. (While we haven't added any real game features, I did sneak a few things into SLIC.)

I am on vacation until January 8th. I probably won't be answering many questions until then (though I'm not actually going anywhere except for a few days at christmas, so I may get bored and stop by ), and I apologize for slacking on these forums recently, but the first two items above were, of course, more important given that I'm now out of the office.
Old December 13, 2000, 23:41   #2
Nazgul
Settler

Local Time: 04:10
Salutation Mr Ogre,

That's great news indeed. Pity you could not post the list of fixes and changes with this coming patch.

I guess we will have to wait until it's finally released.

Nazgul
Old December 13, 2000, 23:56   #3
Narck
Emperor

Local Time: 04:10
Old December 14, 2000, 06:04   #4
MidKnight Lament
King

Local Time: 19:10
Fingers crossed for a few vital improvements.

------------------
- MKL
"And a sun that doesn't set but settles" - Augie March
Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org ............. All welcome.
Old December 14, 2000, 14:22   #5
be0wulfe
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Mr Ogre on 12-13-2000 09:31 PM
The patch is done for all practical purposes. I'm not certain when it will get uploaded to our site, but it could be as soon as tomorrow. Just don't quote me on that.

So if this doesn't fix the corrupt save game issue can I return this to AVision for a full refund including S&H? Otherwise I've been ripped off.

What amazes me is why there are some people who have this problem, but others who don't. I find it extremely hard to believe that not everyone is being affected when I've tried this on FOUR machines now with THREE different games and gotten the same results repeatedly.

Old December 14, 2000, 15:29   #6
RayvenWolfe
Settler

Hiya,

Regarding the save game bug, I've not encountered it personally... I'm running CTP2 on two different machines. One is a P233 Dell laptop running Win95. The other is a PIII733 Dell desktop running Windows ME. (Note to others, avoid ME like the plague :P) Um, so far I've not had a problem with the save games corrupting. I do have a crash issue on the desktop when I try and check the gaia controller menu after I place what I think are my last obelisks. I am trying to check for coverage, and the thing barfs.

I do have the resynch multiplayer problem though.

Ray
Old December 14, 2000, 15:52   #7
pchang
King

Mr. Wolf,
In the creation threads, it turns out that part of what makes the AI better at harder levels, is giving it more time to calculate its moves. This would indicate that playing the game on a more powerful machine would also result in better AI performance. Have you noticed any difference in AI ability on the laptop vs. the desktop?
Old December 14, 2000, 18:03   #8
Jen Dragon
Chieftain

What is the save game problem? I havent seen it yet.
Old December 14, 2000, 18:11   #9
wysiwyg
Chieftain

If you have a slower machine then perhaps you can change the timeout settings in const.txt. I'll have to give this a try to see if the AI is more interesting

quote:

Originally posted by pchang on 12-14-2000 02:52 PM
Mr. Wolf,
In the creation threads, it turns out that part of what makes the AI better at harder levels, is giving it more time to calculate its moves

Old December 14, 2000, 18:14   #10
wysiwyg
Chieftain

If you reload a save from within a currently running game then future saves may be corrupted. If I never reload a game without exiting then I do not have this problem. I suspect that some corruption takes place whenever you reload from within a running game but reloads work until eventually a fatal error is made. As far as I know, if you never reload without exiting to the menu then this problem never occurs.

quote:

Originally posted by Jen Dragon on 12-14-2000 05:03 PM
What is the save game problem? I havent seen it yet.

[This message has been edited by wysiwyg (edited December 14, 2000).]
Old December 14, 2000, 18:17   #11
wysiwyg
Chieftain

Great news! Thanks for the info. Now if only I had a decent laptop to take with me on vacation :-)

quote:

Originally posted by Mr Ogre on 12-13-2000 09:31 PM
Just a couple of news bits:

Old December 14, 2000, 19:56   #12
Mr Ogre
Warlord

The saved game bug is fixed in the patch. Wysiwyg's analysis is also about right, if you always exit between saving and loading games you probably won't encounter it in the unpatched version either. But once you've gotten a bad save, there's no way to fix it.
Old December 14, 2000, 22:18   #13
marc420
Warlord

Nothing up on the Activision web site yet. I hope the Supreme Court hasn't issued a Stay preventing the patching and repatching of this software.

The only download on their site is still the wallpaper type stuff.

BTW, does anyone update that site? For example, the FAQ's seem not to have changed since release. Don't see the patch mentioned there. They do still talk about the WWII scenario being part of the game though

Old December 14, 2000, 22:21   #14
marc420
Warlord

Nothing up on the Activision web site yet. I hope the Supreme Court hasn't issued a Stay preventing the patching and repatching of this software.

The only download on their site is still the wallpaper type stuff.

BTW, does anyone update that site? For example, the FAQ's seem not to have changed since release. Don't see the patch mentioned there. They do still talk about the WWII scenario being part of the game though

Old December 15, 2000, 04:02   #15
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by marc420 on 12-14-2000 09:18 PM
Nothing up on the Activision web site yet.
their programmers work though, and that's more important

check the ctp2 section for the download link of the patch.....

Old December 15, 2000, 09:30   #16
RayvenWolfe
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by pchang on 12-14-2000 02:52 PM
Mr. Wolf,
In the creation threads, it turns out that part of what makes the AI better at harder levels, is giving it more time to calculate its moves. This would indicate that playing the game on a more powerful machine would also result in better AI performance. Have you noticed any difference in AI ability on the laptop vs. the desktop?

I'm not certain if I'm the 'Mr. Wolf' in the above. However, I haven't noticed a difference in the AI yet. I've not finished a laptop game either. The first game I tried, I either messed up and accidentally hit the 'embargo' button in the diplomacy window, or the AI invented this embargo and everyone hated me when I had only 3 cities or so. Two neighbouring civs started to beat the heck out of me. Since diplomacy wasn't seeming to give me the option of lifting the embargo on any of the offers, I decided to restart a new game. I just hit the AD years in the new game, and I've not had AI Problems yet. I plan to try for the Gaia victory again, so I'll let you know if it doesn't work there either.