Old December 4, 2000, 22:00   #1
The General
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
World Map SUCKS
Well it does. Greenland is probably the best starting point(its all grassland!) All the north american coast is covered with forest.. some civs cant even survive at their starting point! (russia for example)

Anyone planning on coming out w/ an improved version?
Old December 4, 2000, 22:20   #2
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 04:10
Check out OmniGod's post in the Creation section. He created one last week.

I have also completed a North American map scenario and hopefully OmniGod read my e-mail I sent him, then, like he offered, he would post it on his website since I don't have a website.

My North American map includes all of United States and Canada area, most of Mexico, and all of Cuba and Haiti/Dominican Republic. I created it on a modified gigantic size at 90 x 180.
Old December 5, 2000, 11:04   #3
Bkeela
King

Local Time: 19:10
If they can't even make a decent Earth map, what's to say the rest of the game isn't equally flawed? I mean, what kind of moron would want to play with historically accurate nations, on a random map?

Bkeela.
Old December 5, 2000, 14:26   #4
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by Bkeela on 12-05-2000 10:04 AM
I mean, what kind of moron would want to play with historically accurate nations, on a random map?
yeah! let's remove the ability to play on a randon map!!

Old December 5, 2000, 17:57   #5
Dissident Aggressor

well the problem I have is they don't have their time perios right. Yes America did have large forests on the east coast back in the day. But the middle east (and egypt) doesn't reflect earlier earth. it is all desert. They once had good plains areas there and it slowly dried up.

So at the very least they need to sacrifice a little accuracy for playability. remove some forests from east u.s at least.

Old December 5, 2000, 18:15   #6
lago

Move your Settler west, ASAP, to what looks like the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio rivers. A city there will grow very quickly and put you in good position to clobber the Mexicans early. You'll probably have North America to yourself then. Worked for me at least.

Old December 5, 2000, 18:20   #7
MrFun
Emperor

Have you guys who are complaining about the Earth map even TRIED making your own Earth map?

I love the idea of randomly generated maps! Nothing stupid about that great feature.
Old December 8, 2000, 16:14   #8
antmanbrooks
Chieftain

The World Map is a complete Joke! I mean what is the point playing on a regular sized map that makes the middle east look stupid and crowded as for two of the most important islands in history, the British Isles and Japan(Technically more than two islands but you know what i mean) they are completely useless starting positions! When are the programmers of these games going to realise that a world map needs to be BIG!
For gods sake this really gets on my nerves. I can't say any more than its a joke! Anyone agree or am I talking crap?
Old December 8, 2000, 16:27   #9
wheathin
Prince

Because many players prefer not to play on a humongous map where it takes forever to cross oceans, you have 100+ cities, and the game drags to a crawl on older machines.

Like me...
Old December 8, 2000, 16:30   #10
MarkG

1) the official world map is of the biggest supported size
2) with the bigger fan-created world maps people have reported big delays in the endgame(unless i'm mistaken)...

Old December 9, 2000, 16:13   #11
antmanbrooks
Chieftain

Yeah, I agree that the game can slow down a lot, and I'm just very disappointed that the maps they make arn't as good as they should be. The map thing and all civ games has always bugged me. I made a map for CTP that was very big and it played very well with anything from 8 civs to 24 although my machine did suffer with the speed thing, my map was none the less a lot more accurate because of the size. Europe was an absolute hot bed of war and technology, which made it really interesting. The chinese always spread to a huge empire but never got too far ahead. It was just very interesting. It played surprisingly like real history! I for one prefer that sort of thing. Maybe if it was an option? Thats all I ask!
Old December 9, 2000, 22:42   #12
OmniGod
Civilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

The fan-created maps that Mark is refering to, has had delays if you play by what the map was created, but by changing the civs to 8 then there's no problems (or next to no problems on low end machines... ones just over the basic requirements) But in defense of Activision, they threw this together pretty quickly and from what MrOrge has said they barely got his map into the game.... but there are pluses in every black eye... it left the designing to the players themselves, which I prefer to like since you can't make everyone happy but if everyone creates what they want then you've made more than everyone content... hopefully you who've displayed anger to the activision map have come to creation and checked out the mapmakers maps and been much more pleased... just remember, at least they got the game out to us...

Omni - a Warlord now..
Old December 12, 2000, 14:40   #13
red_jon
NationStates
King

One of the most annoying things about the map is that there is a HUGE ocean at the top and bottom of it!! What is that meant to be?

Plus, Europe (esp. Britian) is awful to play on, being COMPLETLY covered in forest!

Where are the Scottish mountains? They are also forest.

God knows how the game can have the ENGLISH and SCOTTISH and IRISH AND WELSH on an area that isn't big enough for one civilization!

The large CIV2 map was the best map.

How do you change the number of civs on a map? How do you properly load a map?

------------------
"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills, we shall never surrender!" -Winston Churchill

"Gotta love me"- Baby, Dinosaurs
Old December 14, 2000, 02:52   #14
Shooter
Settler

LOL. My game I had on the earth map, I was the Romans. Then I had a few neighbors: The English, Welsh, Assyrian, Russians, and one other. I had met 4 other civs before I settled my second city. The funny thing is, it was the best game ever. Fiercely competitive, until the corrupt save game crash bug claimed it.

*sigh*
Old December 14, 2000, 03:08   #15
ContradictioN

See, it just goes to show you that this 'tile' use is pointless. I hope Firaxis fix it completely.

english, welsh, british, irish all should be able to become big civilizations as they are today all on the same land.

Old December 14, 2000, 11:03   #16
Shooter
Settler

I disagree, those civs don't even compare to the size of, for example the Chineese or Indian empires, which would shurely grow to huge proportions if you get either of them in the game. Besides, size isn't everything. You don't have to be huge to be successful in the game with the diplomatic and/or trade options.
Old December 15, 2000, 16:15   #17
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 05:10
quote:

Originally posted by Bkeela on 12-05-2000 10:04 AM
I mean, what kind of moron would want to play with historically accurate nations, on a random map?

I guess I'm a moron then. It gets boring real fast if you play the same map all the time.

Sabre
Old December 16, 2000, 02:03   #18
MrFun
Emperor

Hey Sabre - I know what you mean. Apparently, you and I and among others are morons.

Those people complaining never thought that most people would get bored playing the same map over and over. I mean, I like a CTP II game format that is reasonably historically accurate, but I enjoy random maps, created maps, and a good Earth map.