Old December 20, 2000, 09:36   #1
DaveZZZ
Settler

Local Time: 09:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I think I am getting CtPII
Hi folks.

I had my brother-in-law STRONGLY hint to my wife that she should get me CtP II for Christmas. I am a big fan of CtP, and have been a fan of Civ in general since way back.

I have, hjowever, always had the same complaint. I really like to play a millitaristic game, but the computer never seems to be able to keep up. Mostly it doesn't go offensive enough, in my opinion. Is CtP II any better at this? And, how are the borders? That is a feature I thought they needed as far back as the original Civ, so I am thrilled to see them here.

Thanks
Old December 21, 2000, 01:51   #2
Falconeer
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
One of the comments that a lot of people have been making is that the AI does a good job of a static defense but rarely does it go into an offensive mode against players. I always see the AI fighting each other but they never seem to come after me. When I finally get to the point where I'm ready to start bringing it to them, they usually have cities full of defenders, but they don't actively try and defend themselves.

The borders are okay. I find them to be a bit of a hassle though, especially when the computer has a coastal city and the border extends way out into the middle of the ocean. If you cross the furthest point away with anything then the computer gets all upset, even if you have a treaty. On the otherhand the computer tends to trounce through your borders with no second thoughts. They're a nice idea, nice to look at, but I don't think they're fully functional yet.

All that said, this is still a great game. I really like the combat system of having to include different types of units for flanking/ranged attacks; it adds another element of strategy into the game.