Old December 21, 2000, 02:27   #1
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Help needed on defensive improvements.
I have been unable to learn "exactly" what the various defensive city improvements do, other than City Walls.

Ballista Towers give an offensive bonus against ground units. Does this apply when you attack out of a city, or when you are attacked, or both? Does it affect bombardment, or ranged attack factors during a battle?

Same thing with Battlements and Flak Towers. If someone would explain exactly what these improvements do, and when they do them, I would be very grateful.

Also, I understand from a strategies guide that normal battles factor in the effects of terrain for both sides. How does terrain affect the attacker?
I guess I need a round-by-round explanation of how a battle plays out. I have gotten different impressions of how it plays out from different sources.
Old December 21, 2000, 02:50   #2
Alpha Wolf
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:12
I'm not sure if this fits here or not so forgive me if it doesnt.

Does a city give ANY defensive benefit at all? I had an AI pikeman take out a warrior and archer (both vets) within a city. I also had a vet fortified warrior on a mountain taken out by a barbarian warrior. its almost as if the defensive benefits arent actually included in the determining the victor.

If terrain affects both attacker and defender, then the defensive bonuses need to be jacked up to compensate. If I remember my military doctrine, the attacker should plan on a 3-1 advantage to take a strongly held position.

------------------
History is written by the victor.
Old December 21, 2000, 06:17   #3
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Local Time: 10:12
IIRC if the attacker and the defender are on the same terrain (before the attack) then the bonuses are equaled out. So if your warrior stands on mountain and the enemy warrior stands on mountain and he attacks you then there are no terrain bonuses. If the defender is in plains and the attacker in mountain then the attacker gets the mountain terrain bonus.
I dont know if this is correct but its rather stupid!!!

I would like to know exactly who does combat between two units work!
For example: A pikemen against a hoplite. How does that work. Something like: The pikemens attack is compared to the hoplites defense strength. If it is higher then he does Firepower damage minus Hoplite armor.
Something along that line?

Besides I think Combat in CtP2 is ****ed up. Try to attack a submarine with a stack of 2 of yours. Only one submarine is attacking (most of the time the wounded one, if there is one) and the other sub is waiting till the first dies and then jumps into action! This is STUPID!!!! But well holds for other units as well. Try to attack a hoplite with 3 of your hoplites. You will notice that only one at a time attacks. STUPID STUPID STUPID
Is there a way to change this?

ATa
Old December 21, 2000, 09:04   #4
ElitePersian
Prince

Local Time: 09:12
quote:

Originally posted by Atahualpa on 12-21-2000 05:17 AM
If the defender is in plains and the attacker in mountain then the attacker gets the mountain terrain bonus.
I dont know if this is correct but its rather stupid!!!

I think this makes sense, running down a hill or mountain to attack someone gives you more speed and more vision i guess.

quote:

Besides I think Combat in CtP2 is ****ed up. Try to attack a submarine with a stack of 2 of yours. Only one submarine is attacking (most of the time the wounded one, if there is one) and the other sub is waiting till the first dies and then jumps into action! This is STUPID!!!! But well holds for other units as well. Try to attack a hoplite with 3 of your hoplites. You will notice that only one at a time attacks. STUPID STUPID STUPID
Is there a way to change this?

I think this is stupid too, ALL units should be flanking units, why do the other guys just stand there and take damage while only one guy is being attacked???
To answer your question...if you want to change this, you can make ALL units in the game flanking units..meaning that they all attack at the same time, they attack together.
Old December 21, 2000, 09:50   #5
Martock
Warlord

Local Time: 04:12
with regards to the attacker on the mountain and defender in the plains....that does indeed make sense as when one has the higher ground, one is always at an advantage. that's just a real life reality check actually stuck into this game...

i think elitepersian is correct. making all units flanking should take care of the other issue.