Old December 14, 2000, 23:04   #1
Dyzee400
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
CTP II Annoyances
Just another few small annoyances that I was wondering if anybody else was experiencing:

1. When you go to threaten to destroy a city in the diplomacy window it pops up with a list of the cities but the scroll bar is cut off from the right side of the window, not allowing you to move down to select different cities.

2. When another civ completes a wonder, and one of your cities is also building that same wonder - after the other civ completes it it disappears from your city's queue and you lose all the production for that wonder. This is VERY annoying because I've lost 50+ turns of building on this one. I think this is also the case when a unit becomes obsolete - it just disappears from all the cities production and the work is all lost.

3. Too much clicking...too many menus. For example: to change production: click on city, click on city tab, click on the production, click on units/improv/wonders, click on what you want, click add to queue...etc etc. Do they want us to get carpal-tunnel syndrome (or however the heck you spell it) in a week of playing this game? Just too many menus and clicking. My hand is hurting.

4. Very minor - when you are placing a public works something on the right egde of the screen, the window that says how much commerce, food, etc it will produce is cut off by the map.

Oh well that's enough nit-picking for today. I'm sure I'll get some more as I continue playing.

Don't get me wrong though, I do like the game very much and think it has improved much over CTP1. It hasn't crashed on me a single time - and I think the AI and gameplay is much improved.

Later
Old December 15, 2000, 11:20   #2
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 04:12
For complaint number 1 - remember that the only AI cities that will be listed are the ones you have actually discovered - cities in the unexplored regions will NOT be listed.
Old December 15, 2000, 11:46   #3
The Viceroy
Prince

Local Time: 10:12
Complaint no.3 .. simply right click on city and select build manager ... and then select what you want !

------------------
"Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon
[This message has been edited by The Viceroy (edited December 15, 2000).]
Old December 15, 2000, 14:16   #4
lago

quote:

2. When another civ completes a wonder, and one of your cities is also building that same wonder - after the other civ completes it it disappears from your city's queue and you lose all the production for that wonder. This is VERY annoying because I've lost 50+ turns of building on this one.

You can have a back-up Wonder under your first choice. If you're building Ramayana, put Pyramids under it in the queue. If someone completes Ramayana first, your production to date will fall through to Pyramids. If there's no other Wonder that you're interested in, put your costliest building or unit next in the queue. At least you'll get something.

Old December 15, 2000, 15:48   #5
wheathin
Prince

It's a feature! You can screw the AI just as easily by completing Wonders right before they do!
Old December 15, 2000, 18:53   #6
Dyzee400
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by MrFun on 12-15-2000 10:20 AM
For complaint number 1 - remember that the only AI cities that will be listed are the ones you have actually discovered - cities in the unexplored regions will NOT be listed.

That's not what I'm saying - the scroll bar to actually scroll through the cites is cut off by the right side of the screen. I can scroll down to the other cities
Old December 15, 2000, 18:55   #7
Dyzee400
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by The Viceroy on 12-15-2000 10:46 AM
Complaint no.3 .. simply right click on city and select build manager ... and then select what you want !

Alright, well forget the first 3 clicks. Whatever, I still think there is too much clicking in the game.
Old December 15, 2000, 18:59   #8
Dyzee400
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by wheathin on 12-15-2000 02:48 PM
It's a feature! You can screw the AI just as easily by completing Wonders right before they do!

I certainly don't think it's an attribute for the game. Screwing the AI by "cheating" is not my idea of a feature. It should save the production automatically for whatever you want built after the wonder is built by someone else.

Old December 15, 2000, 19:19   #9
dande
Chieftain

I don't think it can be considered "cheating". Think about it in the real world. Your building the pyramids, someone finishes it before you, now you miraculously get to transform your years of effort into the great wall! It makes no sense. I realize we've been able to do it for years in other civ games, but it is a bit illogical. Isn't it? I too, lost turns of work over this issue, but then I learned to pay attention to what my adversaries were doing and either beat them at their own game, or change wonders before it was too late.

Just my opinion for what its worth.
Old December 15, 2000, 21:00   #10
Dyzee400
Chieftain

Well I'm glad that they at least give you a bit more warning with the CTP2 version 1.1 patch. The one turn warning was pretty useless.
Old December 16, 2000, 02:14   #11
marc420
Warlord

Hmmmm, that Great Wall that's built with a square base and looks like about 2/3rds of a Pyramid is going to be kinda interesting.

I guess I've gotten used to that and just kinda accept it as one of the quirks of the civ-type system that this partially finished Pyramid can transfrom itself into a Mill.

In most of these games, beating the AI isn't much of a challenge after a while, so the last thing that a game usually needs is a way for players to gain an advantage that the AI can't. But there usually are a few of these in any game. Oh well, the games keep getting better and maybe by CTP42 (or CIV42) this will be something just us old folks talk about.
Old December 17, 2000, 18:30   #12
ElitePersian
Prince

I agree with whoever says there is too much clicking, when you click the eye, it should go directly into the build manager, or there should even be a way to go straight to the build manager from the Msg Box at the bottom. By the time I have 30+ cities, it becomes a huge hassle managing all those cities ONLY because i have to click so many times, and no, i dont want to use mayors, i just want to click LESS.
Old December 19, 2000, 14:41   #13
blinder2451
Settler

Someone said that the production should be saved if the competition builds the wonder before you. It is saved in fact!

Say you are 90% complete and someone else beats you to it. The next project, like 'Correctional Facility' will be built immediately, since you have more than enough production. Better yet, put a second Wonder after the first, that's what the Queue is for.

What I hate is that Activision put a 1-turn warning on the building of a Wonder? That proves they never test their software before sending it! There are so many bugs in fact, I will never buy Activision again.

Old December 21, 2000, 08:42   #14
Ferdi
Warlord

Local Time: 11:12
Another inconvenience,
If the last item in the building queue is a civil/military unit then that unit is never removed when completed.
Old December 21, 2000, 08:46   #15
ElitePersian
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Ferdi on 12-21-2000 07:42 AM
Another inconvenience,
If the last item in the building queue is a civil/military unit then that unit is never removed when completed.

Yeah i hate that too, sometimes after i build a military unit...i add all these buildings...but i forget to remove the unit from the queue.
Old December 21, 2000, 08:59   #16
Mannamagnus
Prince

Local Time: 10:12
I agree, that's why I make the last item in my queue infrastructure.
Old December 21, 2000, 18:29   #17
down th' pub
Warlord

I find with the queue - it will build military units ad infinitum but with civil units it stops.

That's the same as with civ2, and the reason I like to add a caravan at the end of the list.
Old December 21, 2000, 19:14   #18
Dyzee400
Chieftain

A caravan at the end of a queue in CTPII will continue building just like a military unit would. That's why I usually have some sort of building or sometimes a settler if need be.
Old December 21, 2000, 19:24   #19
down th' pub
Warlord

Let me check, but I do tend to use the 'default' govenor and check when he builds a military unit, supplying a short queue of my own, it tends to go:

Science
Caravan
Financial
Caravan
Misc (defensive or whatever)

It also tends to save alot of time and allow me to boost the trade & feed back in to everything else.

But I digress...