Old December 22, 2000, 04:21   #1
ptah
Settler

Local Time: 09:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Installation Trouble - No recognition of CD-ROM
I have been having trouble with my computer recognizing the CD-ROM even before installing. It just keeps flashing the drive light, and will say that a cd is not inserted etc. when the drive icon is clicked on. The CD works in my writer, but that is too slow to play on.

I have a Toshiba DVD-ROM III, and i've tried all the latest drivers, turning off background etc. I've followed suggestions on the activision web-site, but to no avail. I've noticed that this failure to read the cd-rom problem sometimes occurs with cd's that i get off magazines. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem, and if they have any ideas as to a solution?

thanks
Old December 22, 2000, 09:27   #2
skorpion59
Prince

Local Time: 03:12
I'm not saying this IS your problem but that is pretty common for Toshiba drives as well as many others. Short of replacing it with a new Pioneer DVD, I have no suggestions.
Old December 22, 2000, 15:12   #3
species_8472
Settler

Right mouse click on "My Computer" slide down to properties, click "properties", click "performace", click on "File System", click on CD-ROM. If you have two then select your ROM and back off on "Optimize access pattern" . You may need to go all the way "no read-ahead". Take it one step at a time to get fastest speed that will work with that ROM.
Old December 24, 2000, 01:30   #4
ptah
Settler

Thanks guys, it may well be that my Toshiba drive will just not play this CD, although all of my other games work fine

I've tried changing the read-ahead buffer etc. but to no avail. I managed to install the game from my writer (drive G), but it just gives me an insert-game cd error upon launching a game. According to the activision site, the game HAS to be installed/played from your lowest drive letter. Since my toshiba drive is drive f...

I'll have to switch the drive letters around, although this will stuff up other installations. I've tried putting an audio cd in the f drive so the game wont look there, but this doesnt work either.

I sent an email to activision support a few days ago, but have yet to receive anything but the automated response... at least a "we dont know" would have been good!
[This message has been edited by ptah (edited December 24, 2000).]