Old December 30, 1999, 23:44   #1
Aurelius
Prince

Local Time: 23:27
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Biggest Blunders
OCC games: built pyramid when I had a granary--tryin' to save up to shakes or copenicus. Felt kind of strange selling the granary off

Single player: went into civil disorder with two spies in a city on the front. Lost the city to an enemy diplomat and then my forward army to my turncoat spies. Ouch! Very messy game. AI had NO trouble using my spies.

Aurelius the Careless.
Old December 30, 1999, 23:52   #2
Genghis Al
Warlord

haha, that makes me lough.

I hate accedantly building a "save up" wonder when I don't get the one I want in time.

------------------
Ah man! Ghandi! New game.

-Genghis Al
Old December 31, 1999, 00:23   #3
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:27
having Bach and Mikes and not going to Democracy much less Republic for over a millenium.....

------------------
Casualties are part of war.... It's ok to die by the humdreds if your foe will perish by the thousands

Old December 31, 1999, 00:51   #4
poppawoppa
Warlord

Discovering Democracy, then moving my troops out of the field into cities or fortification places preparing to revolt and change to Demo only to discover about 300 years later that I was still in Monarchy. Bummer.
Old December 31, 1999, 01:06   #5
Aurelius
Prince

Don't try this one in OCC or with a super science city:

I accidentally loaded a food caravan into the transport and dropped it off in a large, remote, and hostile land. Thought it was copper in demand.

I was looking forward to the 700+ gold bonus. All I got was -1 to food in my one city and it usurped one of my three trade routes! Not good.

The question arose in my mind, Is there a way to reestablish non-food trade?

Aurelius the Pissed.
Old December 31, 1999, 11:57   #6
Bohlen
Prince

Local Time: 18:27
I go from one pole to the other, through land/sea maze that the map generator has given me, trying to drop off a gold caravan to Moscow. I finally get there and my brain dies as a try and move my Trireme into the city so that I can establish a trade route. DUH! My fingers freak out and accidentally hit "Cancel Peace Treaty." Trireme slams into Moscow and is destroyed with a gold caravan inside. I wanted to quit right there.
Old December 31, 1999, 12:19   #7
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 17:27
Building and sending an army of crusaders, catapults and triremes against fortified Spanish cities. Needless to say, they were are all destroyed. Went back to an earlier save and waited for Musks to do the job better.
Old January 1, 2000, 01:15   #8
Sten Sture
Emperor

Here is a similar thread from last May that had some funny ones in it: http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum3/HT...tml?date=14:29

this also gives me a chance to test my new sig.

------------------
I wonder if jpk drives a Dodge Caravan...
Old January 1, 2000, 01:38   #9
Vespasian
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Aurelius on 12-30-1999 10:44 PM
OCC games: built pyramid when I had a granary--tryin' to save up to shakes or copenicus. Felt kind of strange selling the granary off

Single player: went into civil disorder with two spies in a city on the front. Lost the city to an enemy diplomat and then my forward army to my turncoat spies. Ouch! Very messy game. AI had NO trouble using my spies.

Aurelius the Careless.
Playing as the English on the world map (large), I was allied with the Democratic Spanish, Celts, Indians and Persians against the Fundamentalist Zulus (and the Zulus were on a roll). I spent two decades building up a massive invasion force on the Isles. I decide to go straight for Isandlwana (sp?), a city in North Africa within bombing range of Madrid. Suddenly, Cardiff (in South America) falls to the Zulus, so I divert one carrier to help the Celts get it back.

As it turns out, the Zulu bombers ignore Madrid entirely and destroy every last one of my transports carrying the army it took so long to build. The Carrier is too far away to take revenge on the bombers.

My allies and I did eventually win the war once the Zulus foolishly attacked the Vikings in North America, but I gained nothing from it because of my compassionate blunder.

------------------
"On ne peut pas apprendre la chance si on n'est pas hardii."-Napolean
Old January 1, 2000, 01:38   #10
Vespasian
Settler

Quote:

Aurelius the Careless.
Playing as the English on the world map (large), I was allied with the Democratic Spanish, Celts, Indians and Persians against the Fundamentalist Zulus (and the Zulus were on a roll). I spent two decades building up a massive invasion force on the Isles. I decide to go straight for Isandlwana (sp?), a city in North Africa within bombing range of Madrid. Suddenly, Cardiff (in South America) falls to the Zulus, so I divert one carrier to help the Celts get it back.

As it turns out, the Zulu bombers ignore Madrid entirely and destroy every last one of my transports carrying the army it took so long to build. The Carrier is too far away to take revenge on the bombers.

My allies and I did eventually win the war once the Zulus foolishly attacked the Vikings in North America, but I gained nothing from it because of my compassionate blunder.

------------------
Old January 1, 2000, 01:40   #11
Vespasian
Settler

Quote:

Aurelius the Careless.

------------------
Old January 1, 2000, 21:25   #12
Hodad

I always forget to expel diplomats and spies.
It has cost me heavily.

Old January 3, 2000, 09:44   #13
Sieve Too
Prince

My biggest goof: Not paying enough attention to unit support when I switched from Fundy back to Democracy after a long war. I had produced about 30 Fanatics from a single city and used them to guard the cities I conquered.

My first turn after switching back, I got about a dozen of those "Hanover cannot support Fanatic unit, disbanded" messages. Sure enough, AI Paratroopers drop in and *poof* All my war gains are lost in a single turn! Aaargh!!!
Old January 3, 2000, 12:56   #14
crowatbitemedotcom
Prince

War4ever - I've actually built Mikes and then saved the game. When I came back to it later, I waited for about a millennium waiting to get the right technologies to build Mikes so I could switch to Dem...

Aurelius - I've never had the caravan problem, mostly because I'm super paranoid about the requesting city changing what it needs before my caravans get there, so I check on the caravan and the destination city about every 3 turns to make sure the city still needs what the caravan is sending. It would really suck to lose the food production in the OCC.
Old January 3, 2000, 15:43   #15
Bohlen
Prince

An MST3K fan, Crow? I was almost Pumaman on these boards, but went with the more creative last name label.
Old January 3, 2000, 19:06   #16
crowatbitemedotcom
Prince

Most definitely Bohlen. My name is so long because I am registered at several other places under the same name and it's the only one that fits the requirements that the different sites have. It's also easy for me and others to remember. What's your favorite ep? I'm partial to Pod People and Space Mutiny myself.
Old January 3, 2000, 19:35   #17
Caesar the Great
Emperor

My biggest blunder was in my first game on diety, that must have been 3 maybe even 4 years ago. I was doing pretty well, I was pretty far ahead in techs. Then suddenly guys were attacking me with tanks, they took a few of my cities. Man I got pissed. So I decided to build the Manhattan project for revenge, saving the game just in case. A guy came to me asking for peace. I said OK. I asked for an alliance, I thought he was asking for Radio, but it was really rocketry. I built Mahattan next turn, bought a bunch of nukes.

It went downhile from there. Little did I know that the guy I gave rocketry shared it with all his little AI buddies. Next turn each and every one of my cities was hit by a nuke! Not to mention about 15 others because of wars between the AIs. Global warming. So I thought to myself good thing I saved it only about 10 turns ago. I clicked on it and tried to hit the enter key at the end of my keyboard instead I hit delete then enter.

Damn was I pissed. I had just spent the last 6 straight hours playing a game that was deleted. So I left my computer in a furious rage. The next day I looked in my recycling bin and I found it. I undeleted it and tried playing it. Then guess what happened... it wouldn't load something about components missing. Well thats all I have to say.

___
CtG
Old January 3, 2000, 19:47   #18
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Crow..... that sucks..... unfortunately for me i often forget to have revolutions and such.... or even worse i forget to move the tax brackets accordingly and often go into disorder hehe.... i am lazy sometimes

------------------
They call me Mr. Fierce

Old January 4, 2000, 09:43   #19
Bohlen
Prince

Space Mutiny! What a riot! I like a lot of them, but some of my favorites include Pumaman, Warrior of the Lost World, and...are you ready?...Jack Frost. I know, it's a sick ep and a sick thing to say, but it's so damn funny. I'll start a Off-Topic on this and see how many Misties we have out here.